iZotope kicked Beatmaker's ass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rjbourc

Post by rjbourc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:17 am

The latency on my iPod Touch seems minimal, but I mostly just like programming the step sequencer, anyway.

I happen to be a fan of the desktop iDrum app. If they ever let me load kits from my desktop to my portable iDrum, I will be one seriously happy customer.

And the interface is simply brilliant. Well done, iZotope!

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 am

These all look fun and good, but is there any point to them beyond entertainment value? If someone released a small sequencer for the iPhone which supported samples and some basic synthesis for laying down song loop ideas, which you could then export as a collection of MIDI loops, to be imported on your real DAW, I'd be all over it. Does Beatmaker let you do that kind of thing?

What annoys me is when they try and take the idea too far, and pretend that you can write entire songs on it, export them to ringtones etc, that it becomes more of a toy than a useful producer tool IMHO.
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Dear forum reader,

* BeatMaker 1.0.2 available *

We are happy to announce the availability of BeatMaker 1.0.2. Registered user can download the free update by going to the App Store. This version includes :

- Export song to MIDI

- Automatic discovery of BeatPack servers on your network using the Bonjour protocol

- Various optimizations and enhancements

* BeatPack version 0.9 *

This version adds Bonjour support, which enables BeatMaker 1.0.2 to automatically discover BeatPack servers on your network.

You can download it from:
http://www.intua.net/shop.html

condra

Post by condra » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Cheers man.

Quick silly question- Can I just hit "Buy App" to download it without being charged again. ie- will it know that I already own the app??

Cheers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 pm

"Buy app" if you already bought it? Not sure why you would need to do that. There are update features on both the iphone/ipod and itunes, but I think if you are going to do it on the iphone you have to use a wifi connection.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Oops figured it out. I always have my itunes window too small. Cheers

iZotope_Jeremy

Post by iZotope_Jeremy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm

iDontKnowWhatYouGuysAreTalkingAbout :)

I apologize for any confusion - I agree that it's confusing if you look at these products across the board. We tried to keep things as simple as possible for the iPhone release, so we ended up calling it just plain "iDrum" for that platform as well.

Several people have reported problems with the latency and/or timing in iDrum on the iPhone/iPod touch. The latency should be fixed at 256 samples, and the sampling rate is fixed at 44k, so that's 5.8 ms. We tried to cover as many of the hardware platforms running the iPhone OS as we could, and have never been able to reproduce any problems.

There are limits to the performance of iDrum on the iPhone. In general if you have more than 8 channels going with a lot of note onsets, and if you're in pad mode (playing it live or recording) so the pads are lighting up like crazy, you'll start to feel the latency increase. If you're experiencing latency problems, will you try clearing out all of the sample content (drag parts to the transport area or shake the device like an etch-a-sketch to clear) and then play it live to see if the latency improves?

Even better, if anyone would like to work with us directly, we'd be happy to send out special builds of iDrum to you in order to figure out what's causing the latency problems. Just contact me directly at jeremy at izotope dot com.

Regards,
Jeremy Todd
iZotope, Inc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 am

iZotope_Jeremy wrote:iDontKnowWhatYouGuysAreTalkingAbout :)

I apologize for any confusion - I agree that it's confusing if you look at these products across the board. We tried to keep things as simple as possible for the iPhone release, so we ended up calling it just plain "iDrum" for that platform as well.

Several people have reported problems with the latency and/or timing in iDrum on the iPhone/iPod touch. The latency should be fixed at 256 samples, and the sampling rate is fixed at 44k, so that's 5.8 ms. We tried to cover as many of the hardware platforms running the iPhone OS as we could, and have never been able to reproduce any problems.

There are limits to the performance of iDrum on the iPhone. In general if you have more than 8 channels going with a lot of note onsets, and if you're in pad mode (playing it live or recording) so the pads are lighting up like crazy, you'll start to feel the latency increase. If you're experiencing latency problems, will you try clearing out all of the sample content (drag parts to the transport area or shake the device like an etch-a-sketch to clear) and then play it live to see if the latency improves?

Even better, if anyone would like to work with us directly, we'd be happy to send out special builds of iDrum to you in order to figure out what's causing the latency problems. Just contact me directly at jeremy at izotope dot com.

Regards,
Jeremy Todd
iZotope, Inc.

Quick, grab him!

I use iDrum a lot on the computer and love noodling around with the new iDrum on the iphone and for the price neither can be beat.

BUT are you guys planning any updates or upgrades to iDrum on the computer? It seems to be in it's same basic form forever. What else would I want? Glad you asked. How about a basic tuning knob per drum and I have to say I love the fact you can edit the sample's start and stop points on beatmaker.

It just seems odd to me with the quality of the rest of your software you would take iDrum and just go "eh, leave it".

iZotope_Jeremy

Post by iZotope_Jeremy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 am

We are certainly planning to update iDrum for the desktop/laptop. We haven't set a schedule for the next major upgrade, but that would be when we'd consider the sort of features you're talking about (built-in sample edits, additional tuning controls). Please do email me more details if you don't mind - requests from users are where most of our upgrade features come from.

We tried to keep iDrum for the iPhone simpler and more focused. The main goal was to make it an absolute joy to sit down and use. We aren't trying to make a full-fledged drum-based production environment for the iPhone. We tried to keep things simple and fun so that people at all levels of musical experience could enjoy programming beats and playing with them live.

With that said, within a day or two we'll be releasing an update to iDrum for the desktop/laptop (v1.64) on our website. It will have the features mentioned earlier in this thread: sample management and round-trip editing of kits (create them on the desktop, send to device, edit on device, send back to desktop, etc). This should open up some creative possibilities for iDrum on the iPhone.

ToLTeK

Post by ToLTeK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 am

within a day or two we'll be releasing an update to iDrum for the desktop/laptop (v1.64) on our website. It will have the features mentioned earlier in this thread: sample management and round-trip editing of kits (create them on the desktop, send to device, edit on device, send back to desktop, etc). This should open up some creative possibilities for iDrum on the iPhone.
That is fantastic news indeed :D, but what about round-trip editing of patterns and songs "(create them on the desktop, send to device, edit on device, send back to desktop, etc)."? Now that is what I call creative possibility - create few patterns on iPhone during lunch break and upload them back to (desktop) iDrum in studio for final mastering...

iZotope_Jeremy

Post by iZotope_Jeremy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Yes, that should all be possible. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

ToLTeK

Post by ToLTeK » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:37 am

iZotope_Jeremy wrote:Yes, that should all be possible. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
OMG :D :D :D I have just downloaded 1.64 iDrum update and It does everything I have wished for (iPhone related). Finally I can lay down my ideas on iPhone and finish them of in Ableton Live - simply brilliant!
Thanks HEAPS Jeremy and iZotope,
iDrum iPhone edition (in conjunction with iDrum desktop ver. 1.64) have just managed to achieve what no other iPhone app can...
Many Kind Regards :D

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:01 am

Just wanted to give this little app a big resounding thumbs up. Well done.