Absynth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonnytekno

Absynth

Post by jonnytekno » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Absynth to go with Live. I already have Operator, Analog etc and quite a few different freeware vst plug-ins. Is it worth it? Any views?

Cheers,

Jonny

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 pm

I've had Absynth 4, but sold it as I bought the Suite. It's a good synth. Absolutely. Interesting interface and concept. Nice sounding.

But...

The modularity of Live devices and instruments is enough for me. I don't think it's a certain tool I'm missing if I can't patch this or that sound - rather time and skill. :wink:

.m

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:32 pm

It's a very deep synth and can sound absolutely stunning. Its signature style is the evolving pad, but it can certainly go in other directions.

I say demo it if you can. It really depends on what style of music you make and, assuming you want to go beyond the presets, how comfortable you are with complex programming.
Last edited by polyslax on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

ollyb303

I love it

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 pm

I have been using Absynth since its first incarnation and currently use Absynth 4. I love it - it's great for unique sound design and I find it better for this purpose than any other (may just be the way I like to work?!)

Not a lot of "standard" synth sounds in there, so if that's what you're after, look elsewhere, but if you want to create sounds and textures that make people go "WTF is THAT???" then Absynth is for you!

Is it worth the ~£150 price tag? I really don't know - my copy was a gift...

Hope this helps :)
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 pm

3 weeks of testing side by side and I went the Zebra2 route....
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I've had Absynth 4, but sold it as I bought the Suite. It's a good synth. Absolutely. Interesting interface and concept. Nice sounding.

But...

The modularity of Live devices and instruments is enough for me. I don't think it's a certain tool I'm missing if I can't patch this or that sound - rather time and skill. :wink:

.m
Savvy Malmöer 8)
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

blank

Post by blank » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Using absynth since version 2

nice sounding and the 4th incarnation is excellent, the modulation capabilities are simply astounding but the synth has a good little learning curve and the sample management is simply inexistant.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Pasha wrote:Savvy Malmöer 8)
What can I say...? :wink:

It's "Malmöit", by the way. [ma:lmoe:eet]

.m

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:21 pm

yes get it.

usually light on cpu and stunning range of sounds.

Can be bought for a decent price these days too. (It used to be 350 bucks a few years ago!)
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

jstilger

Post by jstilger » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:39 pm

It is a great synth. I use it in Live all the time, works great, no problems, light on CPU. Very clean, bright sounds. I don't know if that's what you like, but works well for me. I just upgraded to Komplete Synth from NI, so I have an extra copy. PM if you would like to pick it up for a discounted price.

Jason
Ableton Live 8 Suite boxed | APC 40 | Logic Studio 8 | MBP 2.16ghz | iPad | Launchpad | NI Audio Kontrol 1 | Axiom 25 | KRK Rockit 5's

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:43 pm

jstilger wrote:It is a great synth. I use it in Live all the time, works great, no problems, light on CPU. Very clean, bright sounds. I don't know if that's what you like, but works well for me. I just upgraded to Komplete Synth from NI, so I have an extra copy. PM if you would like to pick it up for a discounted price.
If you used your license of absynth to upgrade to komplete synths, you'd better check that you can sell absynth. Normally you can't sell a product that was part of an upgrade discount. If you bought komplete synths separately however, then of course Absynth can definitely be sold.

Just a heads up.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:14 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:
jstilger wrote:It is a great synth. I use it in Live all the time, works great, no problems, light on CPU. Very clean, bright sounds. I don't know if that's what you like, but works well for me. I just upgraded to Komplete Synth from NI, so I have an extra copy. PM if you would like to pick it up for a discounted price.
If you used your license of absynth to upgrade to komplete synths, you'd better check that you can sell absynth. Normally you can't sell a product that was part of an upgrade discount. If you bought komplete synths separately however, then of course Absynth can definitely be sold.

Just a heads up.
If he used it to upgrade, he definitely can't sell it; it would be tied to his Komplete Synths registration.

To the OP; try the demo.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... rsions&L=1

Absynth is my second most used synth (next to Reaktor); it appears on probably about 90% of everything I've done in the last six years. YMMV...

Your Absynth forum moderator,
ew

jstilger

Post by jstilger » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:42 pm

I bought it seperately from Komplete Synth. I didn't see an upgrade path for having already owned Absynth 4.

EW - do you know if there are any fees that go with transferring a product, or is it just the paperwork that needs to be completed?

Thanks
Jason
Ableton Live 8 Suite boxed | APC 40 | Logic Studio 8 | MBP 2.16ghz | iPad | Launchpad | NI Audio Kontrol 1 | Axiom 25 | KRK Rockit 5's

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:52 pm

No fees. Just contact registration support and they'll deactivate your license:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=regfaq&L=1

ew

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Absynth is the one soft synth I find no, (and arguably better) comparison in hardware. User since 1.5; Absynth, Zebra, and Reactor are the most used in my case. But honestly, Absynth by far. Like others have said, it's a personal choice, but for airy pads, and digital bass, lead lines, Absynth all the way.

Seriously, if I ended up selling Komplete 5, I would just have to buy Absynth again. :)

Also, take this as advice from somebody who's tired of soft synths. Probably all of my purchases from now on will be hardware analog.