Scoring film

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm

the composer is almost never going to have say over the cut. the best trick is to get music to the editor before they start working, so they've got something to cut to. the only time i've ever had the luxury of getting a spot cut to my music was because i co-directed it. its this one:
http://strongforthefuture.com/spots/win ... iademo.mov
you'll notice cuts on the snares...this was accomplished by giving the editor a click track early on, so that throughout the work process he made his edits at the appropriate points.

@the original poster: i wouldn't worry about hitting edits. just compose in a way that best fits the mood you're trying to accomplish. you'll find that a lot of the time a spot will work with your music even if it was cut previously. another trick is to compose a main track, then drop in various sound effects that mesh well with the music that hit at certain edits, camera moves, etc. another example:
http://www.strongforthefuture.com/spots/tubes.mov
you'll notice that a lot of the syncing is about random glitchy sounds matching on screen motion.

smutek

Re: Scoring film

Post by smutek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 am

remute wrote:Hey, I'm siginging up for a course in writing music for film/game etc...
My advice would be to find out what you will be using in class and get that.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 am

scientist wrote:the composer is almost never going to have say over the cut. the best trick is to get music to the editor before they start working, so they've got something to cut to. the only time i've ever had the luxury of getting a spot cut to my music was because i co-directed it. its this one:
http://strongforthefuture.com/spots/win ... iademo.mov
you'll notice cuts on the snares...this was accomplished by giving the editor a click track early on, so that throughout the work process he made his edits at the appropriate points.

@the original poster: i wouldn't worry about hitting edits. just compose in a way that best fits the mood you're trying to accomplish. you'll find that a lot of the time a spot will work with your music even if it was cut previously. another trick is to compose a main track, then drop in various sound effects that mesh well with the music that hit at certain edits, camera moves, etc. another example:
http://www.strongforthefuture.com/spots/tubes.mov
you'll notice that a lot of the syncing is about random glitchy sounds matching on screen motion.
Hey Scientist... nice work.

Was the video edited in live or was the sound matched in live?

I'm a n00b to this too, and recently picked up a copy of vegas, but am considering a cross to adobe at some point. I don't plan on anything proffesional at moment, but I rather be limited to my knowledge instead of being limited by the program, so any advice would be great.

I don't like the feel of vegas just yet, as everything other than Live just feels unatural at the moment.

scientist

Post by scientist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 pm

elxicano wrote:Was the video edited in live or was the sound matched in live?
video was not edited in live. i developed a demo track early in the process, and provided the production company (see their other work here: http://www.motherland.us/) with a tempo track. they used this as a rough guide for editing, so that when i provided the final track it could be easily dropped into place and match perfectly. when the edit was locked i then did another sound pass in live to spot the sfx to the action, and sent this file back again for inclusion in the final build.

LDT

Post by LDT » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Live can be used I guess, but I would never ever consider using it for a score. Horses for courses.

I use Nuendo for scoring (which is my job) and Live for "fun".

Stuff that Live does not do (of the top of my head):
Crossfades; I do them all the time.
Multi screen (I use 3. 1 for Arrange, 1 for mixer, 1 big tv for the film.)
Grouping of tracks into folders.
Double click takes you into full-screen midi editing.
Multiple audio takes on one track. Essential for compiling a track.

But off course, this is just how I see it. And yes, there is stuff that Live can do, that the "normal" daws doesn´t.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:54 pm

LDT wrote: Stuff that Live does not do (of the top of my head):
Crossfades; I do them all the time.
Multi screen (I use 3. 1 for Arrange, 1 for mixer, 1 big tv for the film.)
Grouping of tracks into folders.
Double click takes you into full-screen midi editing.
Multiple audio takes on one track. Essential for compiling a track.
omf/aaf import export
broadcast wave support (timestamps for autoinsertion on the timeline)
EDL/XML support

scientist

Post by scientist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:44 pm

LDT wrote:Grouping of tracks into folders.
is the biggest thing that live lacks for me. keeping organized without any way to structure track hierarchy is a pain. even being able to color code tracks would be nice. we can color code clips, why not entire tracks?

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 pm

MOTU Digital Performer seems to be a good alternative to Pro Tools. I'm looking at 5.1, which Live doesn't do.