John Mayer...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Homebelly

John Mayer...

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:24 am

There is probably a very real chance that i am going to blow what ever semblance of popularity and respect i might have earned on this forum..
But i fuckin love this guy!!!
As much as i dig all of the experimental and electronic music that gets discussed on this board, and respect how most of these artists are able to take and bend the rules to find some new angle to explore, the part about John Mayer that i digg the most is that he can take all of those rules and with out breaking any of them go a head and make some thing as cool as "Waiting for the world to change"
I've had Heavier Things and Continuum on rotation now for the last week and i can't see an end to it yet....

Okay,, nothing more to see here..move along please :wink: :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05BkZSxhcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kRjAhw_Adk

You can hear a lot of SRV and Clapton in both his singing and playing, which IMO is a very good thing. Besides, anyone who can write such a WMPM (weapon of mass panty melting) as Your Body is a Wonderland deserves respect :P.

Also, he's a damn funny guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3nQ_wlgGT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_A9pdLYtvQ

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 am

rbmonosylabik wrote: You can hear a lot of SRV and Clapton in both his singing and playing, which IMO is a very good thing. Besides, anyone who can write such a WMPM (weapon of mass panty melting) as Your Body is a Wonderland deserves respect :P.
i cant let that go unchallenged.

Mayer is a funny guy (at least on the chapelle show) but i dont ever want to see him compared to SRV again. Stevie would never have put his name to something so fluffy and puke inducing as YBIAW. Clapton sure, but he's always been bland and conservative.

the wrong guy got on the helicopter back in the day.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 am

my wife likes him ... enough said :P

still kudos for banging Jessica Simpson AND Jennifer Aniston... not a bad days work if you can get it :wink:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:12 am

I'll put my hand up and say that he's one of my favorite artists. Takes more flak than he should. If he was ugly and not splashed all over the tabloids with supermodels dripping off him, he'd be worshipped as a guitar god. Even if you hate him and his songs, you have to admit he gets a sweet tone from that strat :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bZMOdPM-_54

Looking forward to seeing him live in July.

I'll tell you something else - everyone back in the UK who I have played his stuff to has absolutely loved it. I think he will catch on, bigtime, outside the US soon.
I invented coffee

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
rbmonosylabik wrote: You can hear a lot of SRV and Clapton in both his singing and playing, which IMO is a very good thing. Besides, anyone who can write such a WMPM (weapon of mass panty melting) as Your Body is a Wonderland deserves respect :P.

Mayer is a funny guy (at least on the chapelle show) but i dont ever want to see him compared to SRV again. Stevie would never have put his name to something so fluffy and puke inducing as YBIAW. Clapton sure, but he's always been bland and conservative.

Ive gotten into this argument before,, so ill just say this and then leave it alone.
Mayer has nothing but big respect for SRV.
Any comparisons made have been made from the out side by people that have very little knowledge of either artist. Mayer is no more an SRV rip off than SRV was a Hendrix clone.
End of rant.....
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 am

^ all were/are great students of the blues. surely he's studied SRV and Hendrix and he plays that classic single coil strat sound.

nice guy, great player, good voice, don't dig the music, which is good in its own right. probably great for MILF hunting though.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:38 am

Tone Deft wrote: probably great for MILF hunting though.
Or even being chased by cougars.. :wink: :wink:

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:39 am

Homebelly wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:

Ive gotten into this argument before,, so ill just say this and then leave it alone.
Mayer has nothing but big respect for SRV.
Any comparisons made have been made from the out side by people that have very little knowledge of either artist. Mayer is no more an SRV rip off than SRV was a Hendrix clone.
End of rant.....
I'm not putting Mayer in the same truck as SRV or anything like that. I'm just saying that listening to Mayer, you get some vocal and guitar stuff very reminiscent of what SRV used to do. You can see that he looks up to SRV, takes a lot from his playbook and outputs it his own way, just like everyone of us does with those we admire and the music we like, and it's great to see him doing it big time.

Also, it's very refreshing to hear stuff like that in the mainstream cutting through the huge pile of flossy hip hop manure.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 am

Homebelly wrote: Mayer has nothing but big respect for SRV.
umm. you made the comparison first.

mayers not my cup of tea, but i can see he's talented and deserving of success as a pop star but musically hes bland compared to the never ending cyclone of craziness that Stevie was. calling SRV a hendrix clone shows you have almost no idea whatsever about SRV. yes they were both wildmen played strats and the blues, but their tone and style is utterly different.

hereschenes

Post by hereschenes » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 am

dmacintyre wrote: I'll tell you something else - everyone back in the UK who I have played his stuff to has absolutely loved it. I think he will catch on, bigtime, outside the US soon.
He's been big in Australia for many years.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:00 am

I think John is a very smart guitar player, concerning parts. I just wish I could figure why he's playing the same blues solo over and over again....

I got tired of playing that solo when I was 19. Granted, he didn't start playing that solo on his records till later in the game so maybe he's just happy to do it now after holding back so long.

Anyways, I prefer melodies to minor pentatonic scales.

Note that it is IMPOSSIBLE to play a melody with a minor pentatonic scale. You can try, but you will fail.

The Gods have forbidden it.
SRV will bash your nuts in with a LES PAUL!!
Hendrix will stab you with a PRS!!! Don't do it, it's not worth it!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
Homebelly wrote: Mayer has nothing but big respect for SRV.
umm. you made the comparison first.
Umm.. no i didn't :?
adventurepants_ wrote: . calling SRV a hendrix clone shows you have almost no idea whatsever about SRV. yes they were both wildmen played strats and the blues, but their tone and style is utterly different.
Well..
Seeing as how i have over 150 bootlegs of SRV,, several videos,, saw him once with Double Trouble and once in Jam in a small club with some locals, spent time hanging with both Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton,, also used to speak to Rene Martinez quite often when hanging out with other mutual friends,, and even though all of this boast makes me sound like a complete wanker,, it probably also shows that i probably know a hell of a lot more about SRV than you you ding dong..
Besides,, i didn't say SRV was a Hendrix clone,, i said that to compare Mayer to SRV was the same as implying that SRV was a Hendrix clone..
Oh Hell,, what the fuck,, :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:07 am

major pentatonic? ;)

pentatonic noodling for hours is a guilty pleasure along the lines of making cheeseball mashups and 4/4 kicks.

pick me a scale to learn. :D and yes, before someone gets all snarky, yes I can play without scales, poorly, but it's there.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 am

Damn.

I love mashups/4 on the floor.

Rather than learning a new scale, I would limit yourself to only 3 notes (not including their octaves). Then try and make those three notes be as versatile as possible, just in the way you pick and phrase them.

I'm sure thats NEVER been done. Ever.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent