The session view automation maximum value crap :(

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 am

+1

This is totally stupid and a PITA.

The whole session view automation thing needs to be totally rethought.

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 am

I titally love that the clips are relative!! :evil:

Again, I I'm amazed that EQ8 breaks the original design by being the only device (I know of) that has ABSOLUTE clip envelopes.

Use this for adding gain to clips

Edit: Actually the compressor has this too. Maybe there are more that have bi-polar envelopes with an additive absolute value?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 am

Soma wrote:I titally love that the clips are relative!! :evil:

Again, I I'm amazed that EQ8 breaks the original design by being the only device (I know of) that has ABSOLUTE clip envelopes.

Use this for adding gain to clips

Edit: Actually the compressor has this too. Maybe there are more that have bi-polar envelopes with an additive absolute value?
yes there are more - it has to work that way because there really is no minimum or maximum value - it's not like sends where you have to turn it up to 100% - it is always going to be relative to whatever setting you have it on

EQ gain is bi-polar

edit: oddly enough in trying to prove my point with Auto-filter I just discovered that the envelope setting is not for some reason - odd!

But LFO phase and spin are

there are heaps like that though

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:57 am

I still like my idea where the clip envelopes go from 0-100% absolute but the center is relative to the GUI position (the center IS the GUI position).

massenmedium

Re: The session view automation maximum value crap :(

Post by massenmedium » Tue May 03, 2011 7:27 am

Yup, absolute / relative toggle for clip envelopes. Seems like a good idea.

majicmonk

Post by majicmonk » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Wouldnt it make more sense to have both session view automation and arrangment view automation as absolute?

I dont see much point in having one relative and one absolute, besides if they where both absolute we'd be able to record controller motions as automation in session view.

fonnovo

Post by fonnovo » Wed May 04, 2011 3:47 am

this is lame also when trying to modulate the lfo rates in clip view, we need absolute values
Latest Tune, please provide feedback on my mixing skills.
http://soundcloud.com/sacamanodub/fit-the-twelfth

modecai

Post by modecai » Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm

massenmedium wrote:Yup, absolute / relative toggle for clip envelopes. Seems like a good idea.
I've never really been restricted by the relative modulation in clip envelopes. It's sort of two different worlds for me -- the clip envelope works in session view and I use (absolute) automation in the arrangement view. Regardless, a toggle would seemingly solve quite a few problems. I wouldn't mind just seeing a better indicator of incremental units when using the modulation envelopes... as sometimes being presented with a change in semitones when adjusting the envelope of a grid based effect (can't think of an example right now...beat repeat?) doesn't quite work with how I think...

colonp

Post by colonp » Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 am

You can access the other kinds of modulation with Max For Live. I agree, though, it really should be switch somewhere already in Live, and the switch should be per clip. People should not have to pay extra for something as simple as this, and the M4L solution is also quite imperfect, as you lose some functionality in the process.

Here's a pack with one M4L device per modulation option: http://www.box.net/shared/sfx076dhog

Please message me or at least link it on these forums if you do any neato upgrades to it.

stefski

Post by stefski » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Ah ... This is the thread I was looking for.

+1