All Live/Vista performance problems identified!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
craw

Post by craw » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm

just out of curiosity ... what is wrong with working on XP?

Even though it is theoretically possible (and indeed advertised as being functional), with all of the bad reports about vista/ableton, I wouldn't dream of upgrading to Vista at the moment.

I appreciate that your problems are real, and that there is no suitable workaround for you on Vista, so why not accept the 'beta world' situation for what it is for now and downgrade to XP in order to get some music done?

I dunno, I am merely an observer ... a curious nobody if you will ... and from my view it seems you could be more productive musically if you 'accepted' that there are problems with vista/ableton (and I agree that it is kinda shit since there is no mention of this from Ableton advertisement-wise) and worked on a stable platform, as opposed to bug reporting/problem solving

I mean that respectfully ... I guess I'm just curious ... why the absolute necessity to get your studio running with Vista, when there are a ton of project studios around the work, happily running XP? what 'real-world' advantages will it bring to your musical workflow?
craw

carriero

Post by carriero » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

timur, thanks for sorting all this out and staying on top of it. please keep it up.

naph

Post by naph » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Timur, thanks for the efforts you put into this.

Seriously guys, maybe he's a bit too harsh against the support, but he's spending time in investigating with his own hands, and poiting out POSSIBLE problems and POSSIBLE roads to the solutions. As an IT professional myself, i wish all my customers had the same attitude instead of screaming "the shit is not working" and then i discover it was just their fault...

artworks

Live+RME+Vista

Post by artworks » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Any discussion is better than none. The performance of Live and RME products with Vista is important. XP is only available for a few more weeks. Do I, for instance, buy XP now with regard upgrading my hardware to intel later this year? Or trust that Vista works. I also use RME stuff. There were similar issues when Apple and everyone else was preparing for the change from Tiger to Leopard. There were problems with late versions of Live 6 and Tiger respectively working together, the solution for some was to upgrade to Live 7. It is very depressing when software inexplicably crashes - for weeks on end no matter what one does. I didn't find the response from Ableton support very helpful or useful at the time. However, Ableton do many things right for which I'm very grateful. I don't read Timur's comments as abusive or difficult - I just sense his frustration and the need for him to make the system he has work - without having to fork out more dosh or to re-install his system yet again for the umpteenth time. Don't be insulted Ableton, You have more class and insight than that. A.

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

craw wrote:just out of curiosity ... what is wrong with working on XP?
Hey Craw, one very simple reason is that I paid for Vista and Ableton Live and want to use it. Especially because I am waiting to setup a new PC soon and will be buying a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp/Dual-Boot this summer with clean and fresh installs of everything (especially the huge NI Komplete). Please consider that I am using XP for working on music productively as long as the issues ain't resolved.

Additionally I think that Vista is the better OS both in general and specifically for doing music production: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=vista

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 am

Hi i see this thread was originally posted regarding Vista/Live however i have personally found that using Live with Vista on my laptop produced poor results compared to when i use Live on my DAW with Windows XP.
With XP i encounter the odd crash but that's about it.
With Vista and Live it was a none starter....
Rob

craw

Post by craw » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 am

fair enough ... For me it is also important that vista/live becomes useable, as in the long run, most windows users are going to have to make the migration anyway ... it is frustrating to wait I know, but I gues some are more patient than others

So I guess all I can say is keep up the rants regarding vista, as you may very well speed the process along!

But, in the meantime, don't forget to make time to have fun making music
craw

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Timur wrote:Fortunately I do have a private legal protection insurrance, just in case you want to sue me now.
I need to correct myself, I only own a third party liability insurance, not a private legal protection one. So obviously I can easily be sued to pulps. :twisted:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Timur wrote:
Timur wrote:Fortunately I do have a private legal protection insurrance, just in case you want to sue me now.
I need to correct myself, I only own a third party liability insurance, not a private legal protection one. So obviously I can easily be sued to pulps. :twisted:
Somebody call Judge Judy!

dejan

Post by dejan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:03 am

When Live7 was released i tried it with Vista64 ultimate.

Empty set hit play and enabled metronom use 50% of my PentiumD 3.4(ovc to 3.7) :(

Just 2 reasons why I need Vista 64:

-more RAM

-CPU runing at 64

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 am

Until RME/Ableton solve the 3. Problem (which are more related to how MultiMediaClassSchedulerService handles priorities) you can fix it with a workaround:

Turn off the MMCSS service via Windows' service list. This will force the RME driver to use a static priority of 15 again with no dynamic priority switching happening anymore.

You will get a warning that Windows Audio is depending on that service. If you need Windows Audio (for system sounds and the like) you can use the following Registry hack:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Audiosrv\DependOnService

Just remove MMCS from that key in the list, and set MMCS to disabled in services, then reboot.

RME also provides a beta driver via the following forum thread that tries to fix the problems, but as of version 2.94 doesn't fix it completely yet: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3131

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Just to mention it: Disabling MMCSS will solve the RME problem, but might worsen the AERO problem, because then Aero/DWM will use the same priority as the audio driver threads again. Set Live to REALTIME priority after disabling MMCSS while activating Aero to workround all mentioned problems. This will set Live to priority 24 with all audio related threads running at 31 (including the RME driver) while Aero/DWM will stay at 15.

I gave Ableton support another week time to finally respond about the status of the GUI/Aero problems which were reported by me half a year ago. Again I got no answers. Since I will be visiting Berlin sometime during the next 2 weeks I will try to make an appointment with someone in response. If Ableton refuses to talk to me in person I will write a letter to Ableton's managment. I am not willing to accept that reproduceable bugs (which have been reported in details far beyond what a company could ask from a user) are ignored for months and months and months. And the problems mentioned in this thread are only some of the issues I've reported that have not been adressed at all. Shame on you Ableton! :?

carriero

Post by carriero » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:23 pm

My Vista/RME/Ableton live performance is as follows using the test tone at 80% cpu:
MMCSS on, mulit-processor support on:1024 samples
MMCSS on, multi-processor support off:512 samples
MMCSS off, multi-processor support off:512 samples
MMCSS off, multi-processor support on:256 samples

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:28 pm

I can´t get a single tone out of my rig without glitches using Vista, RME
and ASIO drivers. As I don´t need 8 Gigs of RAM right now
I decided to switch back to XP. Until Live itself is a 64bit app..
I99900K WIn10
Win11 and Tuxedo Gemini 2
RME Babyface & UFX I
..some additional Synth hardware :)

dom

Post by dom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Timur,
Timur wrote: I gave Ableton support another week time to finally respond about the status of the GUI/Aero problems which were reported by me half a year ago. Again I got no answers.
What exactly does "giving us another week time to finally respond" mean in this context?
Maybe i miss something here but I can't see how you "giving us time" relates to us not being able to give you a confirmed technical statement before development and QC investigated this issue throughoutly?

Your post sounds like we're refusing to communicate with you - we never did that - and i also doubt that this is what you tried to express as you're basically a nice fellow and you normally at least try to be straight to the point with your posts.

Your issue is being investigated and you can be assured of getting an answer as soon as we can give you one.
Trust me, it's our job, we do nothing else.
Even if we're not able to help right away we are still responsive until the problem gets solved. Same situation as with every other customer and every other problem.

If you think something got lost after weeks or months it is totally ok to send a reminder or a quick question about the status but besides that all your lengthy angry forum posts, your attempts to send us deadlines etc. take unnecessary time away from our schedules and distracts us from solving other problems for other customers.
I can't and don't want to tell you what to do or not to do but i would like to ask you, from the bottom of my heart, to reduce this.

As with every customer and every problem there are 2 options:
Waiting for a confirmed statement/solution regarding this issue or getting a refund if you're not satisfied with the product.

Timur wrote: If Ableton refuses to talk to me in person I will write a letter to Ableton's managment.
Again, it is totally up to you what you do, but it apparently also does not solve technical issues at all and wastes time.

Besides all the technical stuff: I hope you enjoyed a few great days in the sun last week and hope you're filled with inspiration!

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com