Ableton and the whole soft synth thing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:59 am

forge wrote:your post surprised me a little here Poster because I think what he's referring to is not a lot different to the discussions we've been having about Impulse vs Drum racks
I'm in the same boat really..

but there's a difference between looks and usability..

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:45 pm

forge wrote: thing is, the instruments are actually powerful and can be very useful, but all the things I just mentioned seriously weaken them
Just to recap, the things are:

1) Presets are not as impressive as other plugs out of the box.
2) Preset navigation/loading via midi is not there. This is almost unforgivable.
3) Instrument look is needlessly dystopic.

4) Also, the 128 param limit is mentioned as a deficiency-- it is kind of an 'advanced users' wish, but when you start getting your head around using controllers, it comes up.

In terms of items (1) and (2), the importance of this thread, and the comments therein, delivered and discussed with the classic Ableton forum decorum (as opposed to the nuskool shrill and vitriolic decorum), cannot be understated-- the vast post output of the originator notwithstanding :).

(3), I think, is less a powerful consideration-- iow, if I was managing the dev staff, i would rank this low priority.

(4) has been mentioned too often.

So, basically, (1), (2) and (4) are legacy undesirable behaviors that have been mentioned often enough by long-standing users that they should be addressed.

A monumental thread, huzzah sirrah, fair son of OZ.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 pm

I just want to chime in real quick:

I don't give a shit about the included presets because i will never use them.

Navigation of presets could be better, but isn't a deal breaker for me.

However, I really wish that changing patches was recorded in the arrangement page. This would really save me some headaches when i'm recording my live shows...

Looks of abe instruments? I also don't give a shit. They are plenty usable to me.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:06 pm

mikemc wrote: 3) Instrument look is needlessly dystopic.
like that - nicely put! :lol:
mikemc wrote: the vast post output of the originator notwithstanding :).
:lol: ;-)
mikemc wrote: (3), I think, is less a powerful consideration-- iow, if I was managing the dev staff, i would rank this low priority.

(4) has been mentioned too often.

So, basically, (1), (2) and (4) are legacy undesirable behaviors that have been mentioned often enough by long-standing users that they should be addressed.

A monumental thread, huzzah sirrah, fair son of OZ.

are you studying law?

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm

forge wrote:are you studying law?
8O

now why would you say a nasty thing like that after my glowing support?

:lol:

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:28 pm

mikemc wrote:
8O

:lol: all the numbers and sub-clauses felt very legal

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 pm

forge wrote:
mikemc wrote:
8O

:lol: all the numbers and sub-clauses felt very legal
ah ok... thought you might be lumping me in with neb

:)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 pm

I just hd to come back and say, some of the analog presets are really nice

if you make a looping clip and hotswap through the presets there are some nice sounds there

-the pads are what I'm going through

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:29 pm

I like the sound of the Ableton instruments a lot. Presets aren't as polished as some of the competition but a lot of the time I want simpler sounds and the Live instruments deliver those easily enough. My main complaint is that the UIs are unnecessarily compact because they have to fit in that little instrument strip. I'd much rather work with Ultra Analog than Analog, for instance.

I *really* like the Live sampler though. I can replace all the other Live instruments with Zebra and maybe a sampled piano but Sampler is unique.

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:42 pm

-1 to
Inconsistancies: I don't think you realize that Live is way more consistant than any other brand.
Colors: I like the fact that the colors are consistant and that the interface is so accessible (one page, shrinking unsused sections, x/y's, type values, etc.) And I like the way that the interface doesn't suggest any one type of feeling or recollect any time, place or genre. It allows me to focus on the sound.

+1 to
Sound libraries for soft synths. I do think that there are too many presets that are boring and not enough uniqueness or one that show off the little features that were added for a specific purpose, with the exception of the Impulse library and the Rack libraries. (Alhtough I can't belive they tried to pass that multiband compressor rack off as usable)

All of this is extremely subjective though. to each his own.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 am

Sibanger wrote:
forge wrote:
sunrahrahrah wrote:First thing for me about this discussion is the complaint about the presets. I agree that the presets that came with Operator are not very good, or at the very least there should be more of them. However, I think as soon as possible you should divorce yourself from reliance on presets anyway. At this point I dont go anywhere near the presets that shipped with live, and that goes for almost all instruments and effects. Its much more fun and satisfying to make your own.

actually I've generally always been the same, my point is really that it stands out so dramatically when you load up some VSTi synths that it really makes it apparent how lacking the Ableton ones are

it's inspiring to load up really good presets, I still change them and tailor them to what I want, but it;s less work if it's already mostly there

and it totally depends what you're doing, sometimes you might know exactly what you want and how to get there, other times you might want to flick through presets and get inspired that way
+1

I'd also like to add that the presets should be able to show the quality of the instrument at its best.
Many people getting into synthesis for the early part of their journey also need good presets, cause they don't know how to create what they hear inside their minds as yet.
It is also a good way to learn. 'Oh, so thats what they did to get that sound' kind of thing.
This has always been my point. Not everyone is a synth programmer and not everyone wants to get into synthesis but good presets (good=usable) can be a start point. Musicians have a primary need: make music. Music is made of sounds. If you have a large sound library you can compose music out of the box, otherwise you need to stop and create your own. What if in the middle of composing your inspiration is stopped by th e lack of a sound (not the one you want, but close)? Everybody wants to be unique but this can be done later during refinement. I think that sonic uniqueness depends on the genre. There are genres were sound experimentation is a must while others where you need bread and butter ones. You can always go tweak them but the starting points should be there and this is where Ableton, could be improved, even if with Puremagnetik or CovOps you can quickly build your library without spending a fortune. What sounds odd to my ears is that you have to rely on external companies to get those. They should be part of any box.

my 2 cents,
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am

Hmm well i use Live Suite,don't know why i bought it really i should have just bought the basic version...I only use Sampler and Drum machines coz the rest are piss poor...the Novation V Station and B Stations can be picked up for peanuts and simply blow any instrument that come with Live out of the water..it's as simple as that..
However it's everyone to their own eh? :wink:
Rob