Portishead Again :) How Many Of You Believe that

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 12:11 am

o0o wrote:Parkso2 knowledge comment was on point.
but turntablism/beatboxing not being hiphop is a stretch, I wonder if you mean that stuff like kid koala is not hiphop because it is creatively free and open minded, if so I don't agree, i believe kidkoalas music is hiphop.

beatsme you are obviously down with opp :) yuck

yes tonedeff i do believe beck is a hiphop artist, and if he would have been accepted as so when he came out i believe he would have classified himself as such as a matter of fact he almost did in most of his early interviews but anyway where is all of this anger coming from are you listening to gangster rap right now?

the truth is that rapmusic and hiphop are not the same thing, often glossed over is the fact that there is a rapculture also. and I believe again that rapculture is not the same as hiphop culture. if you think sean combs and killa priest have the same culture I think not.
no anger, not at all, I'm just playing with yous. we can't take this seriously!!!! I was listening to The Eagles Of Death Metal, now I'm listening to Cut Chemist (who is hip hop.) oops, that's over, I'll put on Beck, Odelay.

beck definitely started out as a folk rocker, we can dig up early interviews, that's his roots. he would not call himself hip hop. what about Ween? they do just about every genre out there!

aaaaaanway, I'd take this to a real hip hop forum to get any real insight, this is kind of ridiculous, this forum always takes itself waaaaaaaay too seriously.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:13 am

kidrock had a hi top fade in high school
now he wears a cowboy hat is he country or hiphop to you?

would EL-p or Rhakim be country if they wore a cowboy hat and sang an accoustic guitar song?
rabbit

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 12:17 am

o0o wrote:kidrock had a hi top fade in high school
now he wears a cowboy hat is he country or hiphop to you?

would EL-p or Rhakim be country if they wore a cowboy hat and sang an accoustic guitar song?
I would love to follow you around a record shop to see if you could find anything.

maybe we should ask what a genre label is used for and go from there. again, show me Portishead listed under hip hop ANYWHERE but this thread (no fair making a new thread.)

I think you've made your point but I've got 2 more hours to kill.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:20 am

aaaaaanway, I'd take this to a real hip hop forum to get any real insight, this is kind of ridiculous, this forum always takes itself waaaaaaaay too seriously.
i'm ok I know you have a strong tone :P and don't mean harm to anyone.
what do I know anyway I make min techno. i love hiphop though and even though i do not like labels i believe sometimes they are important sometimes when something as wonderful as hiphop is getting supressed like it is in the outlet media. I will never forgive radio for that.
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 am

btw, portishead is listed in the hiphop section of my music collection.
will that do?
rabbit

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 12:24 am

yeah, I think it comes up from time to time that labels are annoying and only confuse the matter.

what is dub?
what is techo?
what is electronica?
what isn't trance?

these are all questions that the great minds here have contemplated and gone to war over.

what is dub? now the poser players are putting it on cars. :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 12:26 am

o0o wrote:btw, portishead is listed in the hiphop section of my music collection.
will that do?
shit, that does it, you win. I have them under Electronic and the files still play.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 am

I would like to know what dub is myself.
what happens if you take non dub reaggae and put echo on it while manipulating a mackie mixers knobs in realtime, does that make it dub?
is dub a genre or an adjective or a verb like something you do to any music ie dub it out?

i honestly don't know
but i like dub
rabbit

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 am

o0o wrote:I would like to know what dub is myself.
what happens if you take non dub reaggae and put echo on it while manipulating a mackie mixers knobs in realtime, does that make it dub?
is dub a genre or an adjective or a verb like something you do to any music ie dub it out?

i honestly don't know
but i like dub
thats the definition of dub. thats how it started, using dub plates of reggae tunes and reggae stem tracks as source material.

this is officially the most retarded thread on the internet. and im now proud to be part of it!

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 am

:lol: welcome to the thread adventurepants you have one of the coolest names on the internets or should i say internuts
rabbit

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 06, 2008 1:03 am

"Benjamins" Franklin is Hip Hop.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 1:14 am

only when intellectualizing
not when feeling
rabbit

parke02

Post by parke02 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 am

o0o wrote:Parkso2 knowledge comment was on point.
but turntablism/beatboxing not being hiphop is a stretch, I wonder if you mean that stuff like kid koala is not hiphop because it is creatively free and open minded, if so I don't agree, i believe kidkoalas music is hiphop.

beatsme you are obviously down with opp :) yuck

yes tonedeff i do believe beck is a hiphop artist, and if he would have been accepted as so when he came out i believe he would have classified himself as such as a matter of fact he almost did in most of his early interviews but anyway where is all of this anger coming from are you listening to gangster rap right now?

the truth is that rapmusic and hiphop are not the same thing, often glossed over is the fact that there is a rapculture also. and I believe again that rapculture is not the same as hiphop culture. if you think sean combs and killa priest have the same culture I think not.
i think you guys aren't understanding me. for one thing, their were originally FOUR elements of hip-hop: rapping, djing, breaking, graff. Yes beatboxing and turntablism are both forms of hip-hop, but I've never heard anybody call either an "element" of hip hop. Hip hop started with DJing, not turtnablists, playing the breaks of records, leading to MCs rapping. Either way, turntablist/turntablism is a stupid word. There are DJs that mix, Djs that cut and mix, and Djs that make music with turntables.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 am

Let's join in the retardedness!
Hip hop, rap, r&b ... I could never love genres that put out 75% novelty songs; and they all seem to be backed by casiotones rhythm section ....

If there was some post nuclear apocalyptic deserted earth warring clans scenario I would def. tatoo my scalp and join the rockers! we would eat breakdancer sandwich day in and day out!! :twisted:
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 am

right on mesmer i guess thats because everyone knows that rockers don't put out 75% novelty songs :lol:

i like rock so please continue to rock on
we are not compairing genres here we are discussing the intricacies of being intricate
rabbit