Portishead Again :) How Many Of You Believe that

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
o0o

Post by o0o » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

hahaha need some red bull myself.

I think the fact that it's called trip-hop does makes more of the case of it being hiphop than not.
just because tricky is not overly masculine, uses breathy vocals way to much and dresses like a bat doesn't mean he is not hiphop, of course he is classified as triphop, but then what happens when a hiphop artist makes trippy beats, is princepaul triphop, what about dan the automator, ? I think triphop was a phrase created to coin the difference in the personality of the artist who make the music, not the music itself.
if you dress portishead in throwback jerseys they'll just be hiphop. who cares if they are white, or if the female vocals are unique and wonderful and if they don't rap, even they feel like they are hiphop it seems. you don't have to rap to be hiphop, mary j bleige is hiphop, not r&b, ericka badu
may not be but she sure thinks that she is hiphop haha
rabbit

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 pm

sure, the proof is in application of these ideas in the outside world, show me one place where your point is applied in the real world, I'll show you 10 where it's not.

we can talk philosophy of genres all day, doesn't matter if our conclusions are ignored by billions of people on the planet.

show me examples. genres are really just ways to organize music stores and sites, show me where portishead is listed as hip hop.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 10:58 pm

parke02 wrote:since when was beatboxing an element of hip hop?

I wouldnt call "turntablism" an element either. Djing must def is, but look at the "turntablism" scene these days, or turntable music in general... hardly classify that as hip hop.
look it up n00b.

turntablism not hip hop? beat boxing not hip hop? I have to ignore idiots like you. :lol: nothing personal, fuckwits make me rant, I have to avoid you.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 05, 2008 11:03 pm

If you post in this thread you're Hip Hop.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm

parke02 is so hip hop he's got big feet, floppy ears and eats carrots.

and circle dude is a rabbit!!

ahh the planets align, the world makes sense again.

hip hop hooray ho hey ho! hey ho! hey ho!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

parke02

Post by parke02 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
parke02 wrote:since when was beatboxing an element of hip hop?

I wouldnt call "turntablism" an element either. Djing must def is, but look at the "turntablism" scene these days, or turntable music in general... hardly classify that as hip hop.
look it up n00b.

turntablism not hip hop? beat boxing not hip hop? I have to ignore idiots like you. :lol: nothing personal, fuckwits make me rant, I have to avoid you.
wow you are trippn man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

I was curious and googled some more... some ppl actually consider "knowledge" as the 5th element of hip-hop. I've always known it as 4 elements; rapping, breaking, djing, graff.

What the fuck you know bout turntablism? Afaik "turntablism" is a n00b ass word. "turntablism" as you know it is dead. Look at any modern turntable music. Dont tell me that shit is hip hop. n00b

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 11:51 pm

great, now the retard wants to argue what turntablism should be called as well as whether or not it falls under hip hop.

isn't he cute in a retarded kind of way?

:P yes I am tripping, it's just an internet forum. I'm having a little fun being brash to get a rise out of you, retard. I do disagree, but it's not a big deal.

IMO turntablism is an annoying word, it's a DJ with skills. it's an old word people are tired of, it's either a DJ or some equally annoying term like "vinylist." it's not a new word, I'd give it at least a decade of use.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Michael "Kramer" Richards is black. We're all descendents from Africa. When he called the heckler in the audience a nigger he was talking to his people.

His comedy is also Hip Hop.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Michael J Fox is not hip hop.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

roby

Post by roby » Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 am

parke02 wrote:Afaik "turntablism" is a n00b ass word. "turntablism" as you know it is dead. Look at any modern turntable music. Dont tell me that shit is hip hop. n00b
i will not get into an argument... i promise, but here *pow!* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turntablism
and about turntablism in modern music, well, if i hear dj do his magic over a "country and western" song, then it is obviously not gonna be called "hiphop", just like i wouldn't call "flamenco" "heavy metal" just because they use guitars...

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 am

Parkso2 knowledge comment was on point.
but turntablism/beatboxing not being hiphop is a stretch, I wonder if you mean that stuff like kid koala is not hiphop because it is creatively free and open minded, if so I don't agree, i believe kidkoalas music is hiphop.

beatsme you are obviously down with opp :) yuck

yes tonedeff i do believe beck is a hiphop artist, and if he would have been accepted as so when he came out i believe he would have classified himself as such as a matter of fact he almost did in most of his early interviews but anyway where is all of this anger coming from are you listening to gangster rap right now?

the truth is that rapmusic and hiphop are not the same thing, often glossed over is the fact that there is a rapculture also. and I believe again that rapculture is not the same as hiphop culture. if you think sean combs and killa priest have the same culture I think not.
rabbit

roby

Post by roby » Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 am

Tone Deft wrote:Michael J Fox is not hip hop.
wolf hop
back to the hop
hip ties

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 am

beats me wrote:Michael "Kramer" Richards is black. We're all descendents from Africa. When he called the heckler in the audience a nigger he was talking to his people.

His comedy is also Hip Hop.
just because he was talking to his own people as you say doesn't mean that he isn't racist and stupid, the question is are you?

I like seinfeld
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:07 am

Tone Deft wrote:Michael J Fox is not hip hop.
but justine bateman is.
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 am

roby wrote:
parke02 wrote:Afaik "turntablism" is a n00b ass word. "turntablism" as you know it is dead. Look at any modern turntable music. Dont tell me that shit is hip hop. n00b
i will not get into an argument... i promise, but here *pow!* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turntablism
and about turntablism in modern music, well, if i hear dj do his magic over a "country and western" song, then it is obviously not gonna be called "hiphop", just like i wouldn't call "flamenco" "heavy metal" just because they use guitars...
but if they used metal distortion on those guitars you would not call it flamenco
rabbit