Portishead Again :) How Many Of You Believe that

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
roby

Post by roby » Mon May 05, 2008 5:21 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:Image
lol, that's crazy pic... been laughin for 10 minutes now... you know, i only bought Live so i could join this forum... i'm glad my investment has paid off with this picture..

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Corn Swabler wrote:are you cock gobblers still arguing about WHAT CATEGORY TO LABEL A BAND WITH? I'm guessing it's the most important thing you've done all week besides play GTA4.
hahahhaa

mwhahahahah
roby wrote:i think Slayer is considered triphop, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBW_b-WJ2us
here is some more old farts doing some triphop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbGxM3V92A8&NR=1

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 5:40 pm

beats me and three circle thingy dude-
show me ONE web site where you can buy Portishead from the hip hop music section.

show me ONE real record store that has Portishead in the hip hop section

show me definitions of hip hop that don't go into the 5 elements thing

we'll show you 10 examples of the opposite.

then show you 10 reasons to stfu and pull your heads out of your asses. :P

pulsoc - congrats on a good and proper monday morning post rant!! it's the Ableton forum, the ass end of the internet. I have to read this shit like I read The Onion, except The Onion is truthier.

Corn Swabler - totally pointless post. some talk music, you talk weak ass smack. stfu kid. grow some balls and tell people to fuck off without the alter-nick, ya fucking pussy. seriously, POOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

ahhh.... the Monday riot has BEGUN!!! FUCK ALL OF YOU!!!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:47 pm

I. Love. This. Thread.

:lol:

I also love 'Third'. It's a bloody marvelous album.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

roby

Post by roby » Mon May 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote: show me ONE real record store that has Portishead in the hip hop section
i think Portishead records are stacked right next to Pantera records... i think Pantera invented triphop, right? or was it Sepultura?

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 pm

i cant stand portishead. bad memories.

whereas slayer..best band i've ever seen live.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:beats me and three circle thingy dude-
show me ONE web site where you can buy Portishead from the hip hop music section.

Not sure why this is aimed at me. I'm saying Portishead isn't Hip Hop and never was. Sounds like you are making the same point.

Better test. Go to an all Hip Hop dance night. There are plenty. Ask the DJ to spin Portishead. Let me know the response.

o0o

Post by o0o » Mon May 05, 2008 9:56 pm

pulsoc wrote:
o0o wrote:then what of artist like gaslamp killer
or j dilla instrumentals
or dj shadow
or funkstorung
or amon tobin
or, or , or , rjd2
or
Amon Tobin is considered hiphop? Jeeezus what are kids smoking these days.
well it's simply this, Amon tobin started out making hiphop music, to me just because he changes who he is hanging out with now does not negate what his music is or where the core aspects of his skill set come from.
rabbit

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 05, 2008 10:02 pm

o0o wrote:
pulsoc wrote:
o0o wrote:then what of artist like gaslamp killer
or j dilla instrumentals
or dj shadow
or funkstorung
or amon tobin
or, or , or , rjd2
or
Amon Tobin is considered hiphop? Jeeezus what are kids smoking these days.
well it's simply this, Amon tobin started out making hiphop music, to me just because he changes who he is hanging out with now does not negate what his music is or where the core aspects of his skill set come from.
Using that logic there are a ton of classical composers out there doing what some people are mistaking as house, breaks, rock, and metal. They studied classical in school so that must be what they are writing.

Be honest, you do genre listings for the itunes store don't ya. The seond you hear the one and only track with rapping in it you label the artist's entire catalog hip hop.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 pm

beats me wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:beats me and three circle thingy dude-

Not sure why this is aimed at me. I'm saying Portishead isn't Hip Hop and never was. Sounds like you are making the same point.

Better test. Go to an all Hip Hop dance night. There are plenty. Ask the DJ to spin Portishead. Let me know the response.
because I'm an ass. this post
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 574#687574
threw me, but you did state early on your stance on this important issue and I salute you for that, sir.

circle dude - by your logic a musician can only make one style of music, which is a retarded thing to post.

don't be a retard.

just be round.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

o0o

Post by o0o » Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Please all let us not get our giblets caught in the mouths of a turkey, I did not mean to offend anyone. I like you all equaly the most! :)

Tonedeft can you not hear the notes I'm singing?
the hiphop culture like most cultures has many branches, there is a corresponding branch to the 5 element one you speak of, but from this branch stem the likes of such groups as the last poets, this branch is actualy where hiphop came from before it was meshed with rapmusic for commercial purposes. the 5 elements come from the other branch.
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Mon May 05, 2008 10:15 pm

please tonedeft don't confuse my tardation for re-tardation, I agree with you
anyone can make any kind of music. I just believe that Amon tobin is still making hiphop although it's been classified as other. what do you think of dj shadow, equaly clasified as trance and hiphop?
rabbit

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 10:18 pm

not to go off to far...

the 5 elements came out of the African American experience in the 70s and 80s, a culture developed by urban African Americans as captured in movies like "Breakin." a very real culture worth billions of dollars that has had a HUGE influence over the world in the last 20 years. I'll bet you can find arguments on hip hop forums and it all turns into 'more hip hop than though' endless bullshit arguments.

I hear you that genres are evolving and lines are blurring. the converse of what you're talking about is the rise of electronic music in rap. is it electronic music if there's rapping over it or is it rap?

but Portishead does not fall under hip hop. why do you think it's called TRIP HOP and not hip hop? it's like hip hop beats but is unique enough to get another label altogether. trippy hip hop beats.

again, find other sources to back up your point, 'cause this forum is a retarded place for fact finding.

or maybe at this point I'll switch sides of the argument just to piss these guys off.

and I just pounded two Red Bulls and feel GGGGGRRRRRRRREEEEAAAATTT!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 05, 2008 10:25 pm

o0o wrote:please tonedeft don't confuse my tardation for re-tardation,
being a purveyor of both I often find it difficult to discern the two.

I agree with you anyone can make any kind of music. I just believe that Amon tobin is still making hiphop although it's been classified as other.
I listen to Amon Tobin and do not hear hip hop. I hear funky shit (Four Ton Mantis) that snaps my neck but that doesn't make it hip hop. even when he uses a straight boom-bip ba-boom-boom bip.

what do you think of dj shadow, equaly clasified as trance and hiphop?
yes, equally qualified and a good example. I put him as electronic music because basically he uses electronic techniques to make different genres.

what about Beck? is he folk rock (nitemare hippy girl)? is he rap (soul suckin jerk)? is he country (end of the day)? funk (Debra)? rock (devil's haircut)? rap (High 5)?

and yeah, labels suck, but I'd rather talk this than say politics or work. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

parke02

Post by parke02 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

since when was beatboxing an element of hip hop?

I wouldnt call "turntablism" an element either. Djing must def is, but look at the "turntablism" scene these days, or turntable music in general... hardly classify that as hip hop.