Drum Racks Within Drum Racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timbreland

Drum Racks Within Drum Racks

Post by timbreland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:39 am

What is the purpose of this? How is it useful? And how do you trigger pads in the 'nested' drum rack? I set the 'receive' of one of the nested pads to the same note as the pad it is on and it doesn't trigger. Anybody know?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:57 am

you have to set the MIDI note on the child d rack to the note that the parent drum rack is spitting out. usually this is C3...also you can set it to accept input from all notes...
usefulness, i usually just use instrument racks inside of drum racks. but you can probably get some nice layering effects going, also you get the sends...add to that an arp or two...

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:07 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:you have to set the MIDI note on the child d rack to the note that the parent drum rack is spitting out. usually this is C3...also you can set it to accept input from all notes...
usefulness, i usually just use instrument racks inside of drum racks.
This reminds me - I picked up the drum droids recently, and I gotta say, thank you for using instrument racks inside the drum racks for the components. I am in huge agreement with that philosophy.

About the question, nested drum racks can be good for for many things, like having different (multiple) pads triggered by hitting one pad. I don't have session drums, but I think the multi-micing setups would make use of this. The most straight forward benefit that I appreciate nested drum racks for though, is that you can apply insert effects like compression to multiple hits together without splitting up the track, bu creating a nested drum rack from those individual pad chains.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:08 pm

I use nested Drum Racks quite a bit. Stick a Random plug + a Drum Rack on one of the pads of your master Drum Rack, and then fill the nested drum rack up with variatons of a single sample. Thats a really easy way to bring a bit of variation and life into a kit.
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:46 am

...you can also route 'child' d racks audio to any of it's parents output or to its Send tracks...