how high can you hear?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 am

OvertoneZero wrote:I can hear around 18 khz on a set of really nice headphones, 29 years old.

forge: Custom molded musician's earplugs from an audiologist are a great investment. The sound is more natural than regular earplugs. Wear them whenever you are going to be exposed to loud sound...
I used to have some

thing is the only loud sound would be from music on my studio headphones - most likely the trouble is late at night after a few beers , I guess it's easy to forget how loud - although I always thought I was really paranoid about it

I hardly ever go clubbing and I hate going anywhere with really loud noise and prefer to leave

I really wonder how much food etc can effect it - I know I get majorly bunged up if I have too much dairy or beer, nose/sinuses and ears are all connected

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 am

damn, gotta find that old thread

it gave you a response curve, frequency vs. dB

search is (gasp!) bullshit - seems to weight towards recent threads (?)

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:46 am

Yeah.. alcohol makes my intermittent tinnitus more apparent sometimes. You might want to check out the Ultrasone headphones.. they claim that the sound is directed more to the outer ear so it increases perceived volume at a lower sound pressure level than you would experience from conventional headphones where the transducer fires directly into the ear canal.. then again that could be a bunch of BS. I have the 750s and they sound amazingly clear.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 am

longjohns wrote:damn, gotta find that old thread

8O 8O 8O 8O ha ha ha ha

either you were being cryptic, or subliminally remembered, but look where I found it!

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

edit - except I just realised that;'s the tone deaf one..

edit edit! but it was in there! :D

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml
Last edited by forge on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:04 am

forge wrote:
sparklepuff wrote:27 - 18.5kHz

edit: Also had a friend adjust it for me so I wasn't looking.
8O how did you do it? speakers? cans?

I just tried with operator>fixed frequency and it seemed worse - tried panning and my left ear is the worst

gonna have to get this checked

I wonder how much allergies might effect it - I always have a lot of congestion
Yeah, Live's test tone. Genelec 8030's.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:07 am

here it is

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

in that test i had to have the 16 k tone about 42dB higher than the 1k tone for them to be the same level
Last edited by forge on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:17 am

forge wrote:
longjohns wrote:damn, gotta find that old thread

8O 8O 8O 8O ha ha ha ha

either you were being cryptic, or subliminally remembered, but look where I found it!

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

edit - except I just realised that;'s the tone deaf one..

edit edit! but it was in there! :D

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml
:lol:

yeah that's the one

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:24 am

Tone Deft wrote:
there is a definite limit to your hearing and it degrades with age. it depends on volume because it rolls off as the frequency goes up. put it this way, you will not ever no way hear 22kHz even at 1,000dB, you'd feel it first as your eyelashes burst into flames.

Agreed. I dont expect to get significantly above 15 kHz. This is without being heavily exposed to club systems or rock concerts[/quote]

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 am

I can hear 18 Khz, I am 37.

Apparently you can subconsciously here freqs above 20 Khz (up to about 24 Khz) and this helps the lower harmonics ie. 12 and 18 Khz sound sweeter.

Also - if you are sick, with cold, flu, sinus, menieres disease (inner ear problem affecting balance), your hearing can be reduced by as much as 6-7 Khz (although typically 3-4 Khz is more normal). I had a series of flus and colds a few years back and had an audiology test because my balance was being affected, turned out Istill had a virus in my inner ear and the most I could hear was 250 Hz on the low end (instead of the 35 or so I can usually hear) and 12 Khz on the hi end.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

theque

Post by theque » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:58 am

that is quite scary to do. i thought i was going to run out of hearing at about 15k,
but got to 17k. i am 30.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:02 am

leedsquietman wrote: Also - if you are sick, with cold, flu, sinus, menieres disease (inner ear problem affecting balance), your hearing can be reduced by as much as 6-7 Khz (although typically 3-4 Khz is more normal). I had a series of flus and colds a few years back and had an audiology test because my balance was being affected, turned out Istill had a virus in my inner ear and the most I could hear was 250 Hz on the low end (instead of the 35 or so I can usually hear) and 12 Khz on the hi end.
yeah i think I need to go on a kind of clean living diet and avoid dairy, alcohol 8O ...actually forget it I can live without 16+ k :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 am

forge wrote:
leedsquietman wrote: Also - if you are sick, with cold, flu, sinus, menieres disease (inner ear problem affecting balance), your hearing can be reduced by as much as 6-7 Khz (although typically 3-4 Khz is more normal). I had a series of flus and colds a few years back and had an audiology test because my balance was being affected, turned out Istill had a virus in my inner ear and the most I could hear was 250 Hz on the low end (instead of the 35 or so I can usually hear) and 12 Khz on the hi end.
yeah i think I need to go on a kind of clean living diet and avoid dairy, alcohol 8O ...actually forget it I can live without 16+ k :lol:
alcohol improves your hearing because it thins the blood, which makes the blood cells easier to vibrate, more sensitive.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:27 am

Tone Deft wrote:
forge wrote:
alcohol improves your hearing because it thins the blood, which makes the blood cells easier to vibrate, more sensitive.
:lol: yeah right!

thing is I think I have a bit of an allergy - at least to beer - some beers send me sneezing right away, I know there are loads of things I consume that I just shouldn't

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:28 am

I hear all the way to 20khz at -11 db according to the test, which has to be wrong. Hearing problems as a kid, and a form of tinitus where too much high end at loud concerts fucking hurts. Besides the headphones are playing back the tones with variations on the frequencies that can't be right. Another reason not to mix in headphones.

Last hearing test I had had me at around 18.5 which is pretty normal. and explains why even if my ears aren't great, mp3s still suck!

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:16 am

Before:
Tone Deft wrote:I bet you can't even hear -80dB and no higher than 17kHz at +12000dB.
After:
Tone Deft wrote:you will not ever no way hear 22kHz even at 1,000dB
Seems that you've changed your oppinion/fact knowledge to less extreme boundaries, Toney! ;)
Last edited by Timur on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.