PODCASTING QUESTIONS ABOUT LEGAL ISSUES AND COPYRIGHT LAWS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJSK

PODCASTING QUESTIONS ABOUT LEGAL ISSUES AND COPYRIGHT LAWS

Post by DJSK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with podcasting and would know about some of the legal concerns. I am trying to figure out if it's legal to put up a dj mix using music that you have purchased. From what I understand you can't do it if it's for commercial use but what about self promotion? Say you just want to put up a podcast of your dj mixes on your myspace page. Is it okay to do that? Do you have to get permission from the artists whose music you use in your sets or is it okay, just so long as you give credit to the artists? Are there any loop holes without having to go through all the legal stuff by just putting up a disclaimer on your podcast and say that it's for self promotion?

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:05 pm

THERES NO NEED TO SHOUT

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:03 pm

1. You are not allowed to publish other people's music without having a license for publishing it.

2. It might happen that someone asks you to take down material that you don't have publishing-rights for.

3. It might happen that myspace closes your profile when they notice that you stream music without having publishing rights for it.

But then again, do what you like to. Maybe a disclaimer would be nice, something like "the tunes come from the Blabla-label, buy their stuff!". I mean by selecting their tunes you are doing advertising for those labels and artists, and if you express that then they might not be wanting to piss you off.