Something wonderful has happened...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
corporation

Post by corporation » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

forge wrote:
Nathan Ramella wrote: Even though I'm getting about 1,000 hits a day and 99.9% positive comments maybe they don't get it?
unless they have their own plans! ;-)

that could be my only thought.

i sooooooooo want to see this released!

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:26 pm

This was from another thread but also answers some additional questions about ammobox..

6:05am, still not done getting ready for the demo that's going to be in 8.5 hours. Pffoo.

busy busy.

-n
Dj-Grobe wrote:Nathan , can confirm?
With your software not possible play music like with deckadance and traktor scracth etc etc?
Correct?
Not for now?
Well. That's a sticky question. ammobox is a prototype, could you? Yes you could. Would you want to? Probably not. ammobox is not as bulletproof as any of the existing commercial products when it comes to timecode, I implemented a fairly barebones mechanism for reading timecode and while it works great and takes very little cpu it makes little to no effort to compensate for bad reads (dust, scratches) -- it only knows what to expect in ideal to ever so slightly less than ideal conditions. This is the nature of building things from scratch.

In time I'm hoping to robustify the time-code reading so that it is on par with commercial applications but I make no promises.

As well, the UI for ammobox doesn't have nearly the capabilities that the commercial apps do in that loading files frequently is a cumbersome process, it performs much better when you create preset lists of samples and load them in large batches.

ammobox also doesn't play well with mp3 files, it likes uncompressed audio. It can play with mp3 files but not yet and it'll require some fudging to make that a possibility, personally it's not on my agenda.

Consider ammobox an additional tool to add to the dj toolbox, it doesn't really replace any existing tool, it just fills a niche thats been empty.

I should also mention, there's a good chance I'll just stop working on ammobox entirely, I tend to get an idea and work on it 110% until its done and then I'm burnt out for a while.

You guys will note, it's been about a year since LiveAPI came out, I took a week of vacation off in the final phases of it and worked 16 hours a day for 9 days to make sure everything 'worked', that the website was up, contacting bloggers and magazines, etc..

It took me about 8 months to care about writing music software again, this was far less painful and more fun to have an end product like ammobox but I can't make any promises about its future. My day job needs to get top priority again so I can pay the bills, and unfortunately it has more to do with boring technical stuff than fun music stuff.
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Cheers Nathan! Our mad scientist!

8)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 pm

damn... that's a lot of work.

Nathan - maybe you can make it donationware? there's so much interest in this, surely people will continue to develop it.

very curious about the details, needless to say, you did your own timecode as well?? I'm really interested in that design process, the whole thing for that matter.

curiouser and curiouser.

actually, Nathan's probably performing at this moment.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Freak Team

Post by Freak Team » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi everybody.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I'm interested on do it open source of course and share all the info that I can but sorry I'm a musician not a programmer...

Good work!
Peace

Yoz

Cool stuff to be link with MixVibes :-)

Post by Yoz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 am

Hi Nathan,

I have to say that your idea is really cool. I am from MixVibes team and some of our users asked us to be compatible with MixVibes timecode and LIVE. (www.mixvibes.com)

It could be great if we are in contact together.

I read on this topic that some DJs would like to make Live resampling and scratching. Our latest DVS PRO 7 is doing this, but it is appart from Ableton LIVE.

In our PRO version, you can donload VST instruments, play with it, record and then Scratch. A 16 pattern sampler also allows to make beat slicing of your media.

Sorry if it is appearing like advertising, I don't want to do this. Just inform Ableton users that it would be great to cross our technologies and share our experience. Nathan, you have done a great Job and keep me posted on any new release!! :P

Yoz

Nathan Ramella

Re: Cool stuff to be link with MixVibes :-)

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Yoz wrote:Hi Nathan,

I have to say that your idea is really cool. I am from MixVibes team and some of our users asked us to be compatible with MixVibes timecode and LIVE. (www.mixvibes.com)

It could be great if we are in contact together.

I read on this topic that some DJs would like to make Live resampling and scratching. Our latest DVS PRO 7 is doing this, but it is appart from Ableton LIVE.

In our PRO version, you can donload VST instruments, play with it, record and then Scratch. A 16 pattern sampler also allows to make beat slicing of your media.

Sorry if it is appearing like advertising, I don't want to do this. Just inform Ableton users that it would be great to cross our technologies and share our experience. Nathan, you have done a great Job and keep me posted on any new release!! :P

Yoz
I never did hear back from the mixvibez guys once I published my source code.. Go figure...
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Bastards! :x

You could stick it to ALL the DVS companies (Serato/Mixvibes/DJ Decks/Deckadance/VirtualDJ, etc, etc...) if you created a VST version of ammobox that would work with any audio interface... LOTS of people would pay for that (me included)...

If you could create a VST that would record external input, and then scratch it - you would be THE MAN!

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 pm

You're a champion Nathan!