Vitamin L: 100+ shortcuts to speed up your workflow (a lot).

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ton

Post by ton » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:40 pm

I am using btw. a mouse wheel operation which works exactly the opposite way which is also more logical to me:

- up to zoom out
- down to zoom in

I am just wondering why you defined it the other way around?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:52 pm

ton wrote:I am using btw. a mouse wheel operation which works exactly the opposite way which is also more logical to me:

- up to zoom out
- down to zoom in

I am just wondering why you defined it the other way around?
for me, thats opposite of what im used to. :p

ton

Post by ton » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

friend_kami wrote:for me, thats opposite of what im used to. :p
Do you know any other applications which use your style, meaning (up to zoom in, down to zoom out)? I am just asking out of curiosity.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:22 pm

ton wrote:
friend_kami wrote:for me, thats opposite of what im used to. :p
Do you know any other applications which use your style, meaning (up to zoom in, down to zoom out)? I am just asking out of curiosity.
well no, but since i used to be a pretty heavy gamer its just something im used to. most games have up as zoom in, and down as zoom out.

edit: come to think of it, some of the 3d applications ive been using in the past had the same behaviour, up for zoom in and down for out.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:55 pm

jbone1313 wrote:This is really neat!

Here are some issues I'm noticing. Of course, this may all be due to my configuration, but I wanted to let you know.

My system:
XP SP2
Live 7
Korg PK (Using NativeKontrol)
BCR2000
Pen2Live
Cintiq Monitor

Issues:
1. "S" doesn't split clip.
2. I'm unable to navigate time line with arrows.
3. "W" doesn't seem to select all slots in scene
Anybody else have these problems? Anybody solve it?

FYI: I'm no longer using Pen2Live & Cintiq.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Well I switched to the default XP theme, and now most everything works. The only thing not working is the scrolling with the arrow keys and page up/down.

Any thoughts? I would love to get this going. :)

tonearm

Post by tonearm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 pm

ton wrote:Do you know any other applications which use your style, meaning (up to zoom in, down to zoom out)? I am just asking out of curiosity.
This is identical to zoom wheel behavior in ACID/Vegas, which is where a lot of inspiration for efficient workflow is coming from. Anyway, I have a user customizable version in the works, but I'm basically waiting for Live 8 to see if it still works with it.

@jbone1313: Vitamin L is definitely sensitive to the XP theme; but with the default theme it should be fairly robust -- I've tested on different machines, different monitor configs, etc. If you could send me a screenshot, that would help.

ton

Post by ton » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:11 am

tonearm wrote:... Anyway, I have a user customizable version in the works, but I'm basically waiting for Live 8 to see if it still works with it.
Good to read this, I asked some time ago about the source code mainly out of following reason: If we call the additional features/hotkeys/additions from Vitamin L like "atomic" features A,B,C... the creative imagination might build new "molecular" features 1,2,3... using those atomic features, these molecules could be adapted to personal preferences. Even if you would allow switching on/off each "atomic" feature or defining its hotkeys in the next Vitamin L version I am wondering how much or less we would have also the capabilities to use them as atomic features to build longer processing sequences? For example if I see after some time that I use some 10 sequences very often, I would build these 10 molecular processing sequences as hotkeys/mousewheels/gestures and be happy. But anyway your Vitamin L and thus you are great, thanks once again.

ton

Post by ton » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:16 am

ton wrote:Do you know any other applications which use your style, meaning (up to zoom in, down to zoom out)?
This is also interesting http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=zo ... heel+music

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:19 pm

tonearm wrote: @jbone1313: Vitamin L is definitely sensitive to the XP theme; but with the default theme it should be fairly robust -- I've tested on different machines, different monitor configs, etc. If you could send me a screenshot, that would help.
Ok, I've narrowed down the problem some more. The timeline nav works fine in a 1024x768 resolution, but when I go back to my normal resolution 1280x1024, it breaks.

Are there any workarounds or easy fixes for this? It seems that Vitamin L is relying on a specific resolution. I don't know what kind of effort it would be to make Vitamin L specific to the user's resolution, but it would sure be useful.

Thanks for the response.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:32 pm

i wouldnt mind having the source code aswell. i used to use this for a while, but there were so many shortcuts and whatnots that just didnt work (propably because of my keyboard layout im guessing, aswell as my xp theme), and right now ive got a setup with some scripts and whatnots thats not complete but it works well enough for now.

i would only use a few of the shortcuts, so the source would be great then.
or the ability to turn some shortcuts off, or remap them, as they would mess up my qwerty clip launcher thingy :)

ton

Post by ton » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:21 pm

For those who are interested I added another AutoHotkey automation to my list:

Code: Select all

.::				;deactivate/reactivate clip or selected notes
{
  send, !b{up}{up}{up}{up}{up}{up}{up}{enter}
  return
}
As far as I could see Vitamin L has a hotkey for clips but not for selected notes. The automation above works with both.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Has there been sufficient interest in a Vista version yet? Would be great to start using the script.
..?

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:25 am

hey I just found this and have been trying it out. Potentially really cool, but a lot of functions seem to not work for me.

-using left/right arrow keys in arrangement doesn't work

-quick keys won't be deactivated when typing in a search box in the browser

-E toggles notes/sample box instead of envelopes

-when I deactivate quick keys and then hit F4 or CTR-K quick keys are reactivated. This does not seem to happen with other quick keys.

-S doesn't split in arrangeview (not sure what it does, seems to do something with the clip transpose automation)

a lot of other quick keys don't work...

i haven't checked every shortcut yet, but it doesn't look like this will work for me. Maybe with quick keys deactivated...
Is this app resolution dependant? (I'm running 1600*1200)

ilia

Post by ilia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:09 am

snakedogman wrote:hey I just found this and have been trying it out. Potentially really cool, but a lot of functions seem to not work for me.

-using left/right arrow keys in arrangement doesn't work

-quick keys won't be deactivated when typing in a search box in the browser

-E toggles notes/sample box instead of envelopes

-when I deactivate quick keys and then hit F4 or CTR-K quick keys are reactivated. This does not seem to happen with other quick keys.

-S doesn't split in arrangeview (not sure what it does, seems to do something with the clip transpose automation)

a lot of other quick keys don't work...

i haven't checked every shortcut yet, but it doesn't look like this will work for me. Maybe with quick keys deactivated...
Is this app resolution dependant? (I'm running 1600*1200)
it shouldn't depend on the resolution, but the problems may be caused by changing the Windows theme. Try it with the default XP theme and see if that helps. Also make sure that the Live window is fully visible and there are no other windows in front of it.