Vitamin L: 100+ shortcuts to speed up your workflow (a lot).

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Here's a suggestion...a lot of the Vitamin L functionality is stuff I can live without. Would it be possible to deactivate some of them? Or even better, to map my own keys as I see fit...would you be able to have Vitamin L read a text file that resides in the Vitamin L folder that we can freely edit ourselves?

Don't get me wrong...if I had to use it as is, I'd be fine, just for the scrolling and Quick Keys and Sticky Clicks alone, but there are a lot of functions that I don't need, and I'd love to be able to maps stuff to how I work, like editing the AutoHotKeys. What do you think?

(Since I paid you, I suppose I can now be an annoying customer who can make obnoxious requests) :)

Also, as for reports, I find that if I make a move that throws the script off, even restarting the script may or may not work. The vertical zooming isn't working at all, and neither are the clip property keys (CVX). More reports to come.

tonearm

Post by tonearm » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 am

nebulae wrote:Here's a suggestion...a lot of the Vitamin L functionality is stuff I can live without. Would it be possible to deactivate some of them? Or even better, to map my own keys as I see fit...would you be able to have Vitamin L read a text file that resides in the Vitamin L folder that we can freely edit ourselves?
I'll have to figure out the best way to implement customization.
If you want to simply disable some of the shortcuts to make more keys available to Live (btw, keep in mind that 0-9 are unassigned), you can do it very easily with autohotkey. For example:

w::send w

will bypass the shortcut for w in Vitamin L. You will need to make sure your script loads after Vitamin L (you could make a batch file that loads one after the other if you are going to use this method on a regular basis. Here's a full exampe:

Code: Select all

GroupAdd, Live, ahk_class Afx:00400000:0:00000000:01900015:00000000
return

#IfWinActive, ahk_group Live
{
w::send w

^F9:: 
 run vitaminl.exe
 sleep 300           ; may need to increase for a slow machine
 reload
 return
}
this will disable w and remap Ctrl+F9 so that it reloads both Vitamin L and then your script (the script assumes it's in the same dir as vitaminl.exe). Put all the keys you want to bypass into that block and you are done.

(Since I paid you, I suppose I can now be an annoying customer who can make obnoxious requests) :)
Sure, keep them coming, although custom-designed features might cost you a bit more than $15. :D

Also, as for reports, I find that if I make a move that throws the script off, even restarting the script may or may not work. The vertical zooming isn't working at all, and neither are the clip property keys (CVX). More reports to come.
ok, so V-C-X are now working for you (as per email), and vertical zoom seems like the tricky part. I got my screen/setup to look exactly like the screenshot you sent me, and vertical zoom still works fine on my end... I'd like to know if other people are having problems with it, and if so, which screen resolution/skin is used.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:56 am

I forgot about this!

stickied furiously
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 176#673176
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bnz

Post by bnz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 am

would this work with vista?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 am

bnz wrote:would this work with vista?
The readme says XP is the only supported OS, mainly because Vista was difficult to implement and had no performance advantages over XP.

tonearm

Post by tonearm » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:52 pm

nebulae wrote:
bnz wrote:would this work with vista?
The readme says XP is the only supported OS, mainly because Vista was difficult to implement and had no performance advantages over XP.
I was initially developing this for my own use, and under the version of Vista that I own (home premium), Live won't even run without crackling and popping with my RME drivers, so I didn't feel particularly inspired to spend time on what would be a rather tedious port. That said, I may do a version for a windows classic theme in the near future, which should also work under Vista.

bnz -- do you not have XP or is there some reason why you prefer using Vista?

bnz

Post by bnz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 am

new computer came with vista.. and i havent experienced any problems after updating firmware of my presonus firebox and some optimizing.

im actually quite happy with vista

thanks for your response

tarai

Post by tarai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:40 am

This program earns a place in my startup

Post by 4.33 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:44 pm

fantastic! this should be stickied as a dedicated topic

spasibo bolshoe)

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 pm

Winston wrote:For you guys asking for a mac version, us mac users can just assign shortcuts ourselves through the os. Why not use that?
because its nicer to have someone figure it out for you and do it properly. i'd pay for an osx version.

i'm also waiting for someone to develop some sort of vst or pluggo or whatever that acts as a clear "transparency sheet"' you can write notes/reminders/ideas on for individual sets, circle parts of takes and is just an invisible overlay for your arrangement. someone please get on it.

nice one by the way tonearm. very clever and appreciated.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:01 am

This is really neat!

Here are some issues I'm noticing. Of course, this may all be due to my configuration, but I wanted to let you know.

My system:
XP SP2
Live 7
Korg PK (Using NativeKontrol)
BCR2000
Pen2Live
Cintiq Monitor

Issues:
1. "S" doesn't split clip.
2. I'm unable to navigate time line with arrows.
3. "W" doesn't seem to select all slots in scene

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:27 pm

so yeah. a macromap hotkey would make me a very very happy man.
not sure its possible though since theres (propably) no way to figure out where this macromap button resides on the currently selected rack, no?

just gotta say that vitamin l really really rocks my socks off, and as soon as ive been to the vet with my cat and paid for it and all that im surely gonna drop you a donation or two.

but yes, what would be even more better would be if you could add a gui where you could reassign all the hotkeys youve made.

id pay for that without a doubt.

edit: btw. hitting s in clipview reverses the clip.

tonearm

Post by tonearm » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:37 am

friend_kami wrote:so yeah. a macromap hotkey would make me a very very happy man. not sure its possible though since theres (propably) no way to figure out where this macromap button resides on the currently selected rack, no?
I am not sure I understand fully... what would you want this hotkey to do? Which track/rack should it apply to? Or are you looking for a global macromap hotkey, similar to key map and midi map keys?

just gotta say that vitamin l really really rocks my socks off, and as soon as ive been to the vet with my cat and paid for it and all that im surely gonna drop you a donation or two.

but yes, what would be even more better would be if you could add a gui where you could reassign all the hotkeys youve made.
well, I could work something like that into a future version... To be honest though, it'd be hard for me to make this a high priority, without turning Vitamin L into a commercial project - which I am reluctant to do (and the donation thing is not working out very well -- after 1500+ downloads the grand total stands at $15 :)). That said, I'll try to post some updates in the near future.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:56 am

tonearm wrote:
friend_kami wrote:so yeah. a macromap hotkey would make me a very very happy man. not sure its possible though since theres (propably) no way to figure out where this macromap button resides on the currently selected rack, no?
I am not sure I understand fully... what would you want this hotkey to do? Which track/rack should it apply to? Or are you looking for a global macromap hotkey, similar to key map and midi map keys?

well, I could work something like that into a future version... To be honest though, it'd be hard for me to make this a high priority, without turning Vitamin L into a commercial project - which I am reluctant to do (and the donation thing is not working out very well -- after 1500+ downloads the grand total stands at $15 :)). That said, I'll try to post some updates in the near future.
global, just like the midi and key mappings.

damn good to have when you have made your rack and you want to finetune all the map settings, velocities etc.

you cant get to the macromap browser unless you first show the devices for your specific rack, and if you have monster racks containing a looong chain, followed by racks inside racks in the chain getting to all of those macro maps can be very difficult and time consuming. a global hotkey that opens the macro mapper for the selected rack container would make it sooo much easier.

also, on a sidenote. i noticed that when pressing O in clipview in session it will load the currently selected clip into ram.

i have a few bugs but ive narrowed them down to my keyboard because it has extra keys, but i figured out some work arounds for them so its ok.

the skin switcher doesnt work (it positions the mouse just underneath the skin dropdown, and just above the assign clip colors button, missing the dropdown by a few only) and i had some other things that i really didnt care about so much atm anyways. wrote them down somewhere, gonna do some more testing first. also worth noticing is that sticky clips also works for moving the clip vertically when you have your mouse cursor located in the clipview, in which you can also drag up/down for zoom at the same time :D

i also managed to find a reverse clip shortcut in the session view (which ofcourse was undocumented since it a quick key for something completely different), but i lost it.

ill go investigate ;)

edit: its S.

btw, you could very well have this as a commercial product, just look at for example phat conductors mapping software for the pk, and all the other pk things. keep the price at a reasonable price, and offer a pretty fair demo version or whatever. im sure just about every windows+live user in the world would buy it.

btw, this isnt resolution independent, is it?

edit more: just woke up and i had a trojan that supposedly came from your application, heres what my testcenter says:

so id suggest updating your antivir, rescanning everything, and repack them/upload them clean.

ton

Re: Vitamin L: 100+ shortcuts to speed up your workflow (a lot).

Post by ton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:29 pm

tonearm wrote:I've been working on this for the past several months, and it's finally ready for general release. I am making it available for free; hopefully it'll be useful to some of you.
Thanks for your efforts and sharing it here. I downloaded it but not tested yet. Not having the source code allows us either to take the full package or not taking it, but nothing inbetween. As you offer it anyway for free to use I am wondering what is the idea behind not sharing also the source code? As I am already using some AutoHotkey shortcuts (in a similar way like yours, just much less shortcuts) they would overlap.

If anyone is wondering what shortcuts I am using, here they are, I am using a photoshop kind of "single key approach" which is in my opinion the "best way" as the most direct, anyone who worked with analog mixer consoles knows the value of directness:

Code: Select all

F1::				;split clip and consolidate
{
Send, ^e
Sleep,100
Send, ^j
return 				
}

F3::^e 				;split clip only, no consolidation
F4::^b 				;toggle edit and draw modes
F2::				;rename object
{
    Send, ^r
    Sleep, 100
    Suspend, On
    Sleep, 5000
    Suspend, Off
    return
}

d::                         ;toggles detail window
{
  send, {ctrldown}{altdown}l{altup}{ctrlup}
  return
}

c::				;adds comment
{
  send, {altdown}e{altup}{up}{enter}{enter}
  return
}

r::				;duplicates
{
  send, {ctrldown}d{ctrlup}
  return
}

q::				;save song
{
  send, {ctrldown}s{ctrlup}
  return
}

u::				;q(u)antize selection
{
  send, {ctrldown}u{ctrlup}
  return
}

l::
{
  send, ^l{space}
  sleep, 100
  send, ^+l			;selects loop region ready for F1
  sleep, 100
  send, {space}  	 	;loop selection and play there, use while playing
  return
}

f::^f  				;toggles follow song 

j::
{
  send, ^+{del}		;delete selected time (j)ackass :)
  return
}

s::				;add as new scene
{
  send, ^+i
  return
}

a::				;add a new audio track
{
  send, ^t
  sleep, 100
  return