external synth hook-ups.....no go.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Hesh

external synth hook-ups.....no go.

Post by Hesh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 pm

can anybody out there help me out on hooking up my R3 synth thru live.

I have an IMAC..3G memory ram.

1st off....yes ive tried "local off".....the R3 will produce LIVE 7 sounds(midi keyboard)
but i also want the sounds of my R3 to run thru LIVE 7 also...no dice on that.

Can some1 out there walk me thru the steps? I have no idea why this is so difficult.

the R3 can be connected either USB or MIDI....even both.

Thanks yall.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:02 pm

A wild stab in the dark, but have you tried connecting your L/R audio output on the back of the R3 to the audio inputs of your sound card via normal 1/4" cable?

Then on Live add an audio track (or Midi track with "External Instrument" device) and take that audio input from your soundcard.

Does that work?

Hesh

Post by Hesh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 am

haha, wow, i felt like i just asked the forum what 2 + 2 was.

eh yo 80.....ur golden brah! thanks, hooked on phonics obviously did not work 4 me. :lol:

Hesh

Post by Hesh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 am

you know, i went out assuming that this would work...got a Y-cable and guess what, nothing. Im fucking losing my mind here. Like come on....record sound into live...WTF!!! People help me out.

Hesh

Post by Hesh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 am

ok.......ive got an imac.....obviously running my preamp speakers out the back of the imac(mini plug) so, the R3 goes into the other mini plug(out) right? like theres only 2 fucking mini plugs on the back. In/out.......so whats the deal? i dont give 2 flyin fucks that the R3 can trigger sounds from live........give me R3 sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AML

Post by AML » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 am

I think you should get yourself an audio interface and quit worrying about the mini plugs in the back of the iMac. It would make life, and latency with respect to your synth, much easier.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Audio interface would be better, but even without one, it should still work. Can you check that the Y-cable from the R3 is outputting something when you play a note e.g. connect the cable to headphones or a hifi amp line input?

Hesh

Post by Hesh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 am

ya dood, im tellin ya, the levels are there...im tappin the keys and theres levels...no sound though, boo. Also im using a midisport 2*2(connects USB).....somethings fishy, really fishy. Midi cables attached correctly. Ive scraped using the audio outs to mini jack to my mac......that makes no sense. I will never give up till i get this!

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:20 am

It's going to be something really simple in the end... :) Do you have Live already working ok for other audio input? e.g. if you connect your ipod or whatever to the mini jack on the mac, can you hear that in Live?

Hesh

Post by Hesh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 pm

ok, so i went out today...bought a fast track(m-audio) soundcard interface so i can play the R3. Uh, here go's..........i have it hooked up....l/r out into the fast track(Y-cable 1/4 inch). Went into my imacs preferences, and changed the I/O to the fast track.......open live, signal is reading only thru the right side(stereo) and theres no sound coming out my speakers......seeming that i changed the audio driver in my mac to fast track...i figured why i didnt have sound, so i plugged my speakers(mini jack...you know the I/O of the imac) into the mic fast track? Ok, there is sound.....but it sounds like shit.....hummin, buzzing...sounds like bad connection reverb. Are you tellin me that is my sound now? Once again im stumped...i even selected fast track in LIVE and im still getting "!" 2 simplify this....wow, how in the fuck do a hook up my rig to my interface then to/thru live?