the biggest frustration using Live live....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

the biggest frustration using Live live....

Post by forge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm

the biggest problem with Live for live use IMO is actually selecting devices remotely.

Not even session automation, which is a total PITA, but we've been over that enough, this gets in the way of using this program Live more IMO

lately I've been much more focused on setting up a Live rig and it's really hitting me like a vicious, jagged shard of misery that you cant select devices via MIDI or KEY

please Ableton, let me leave the hunched nerd behind so that I can really play this 'sequencer instrument' like a sequencer instrument without needing all these extra 3rd party tools

give the DAW stuff a rest now and get back to being a LIVE program

there's too many bloody DAWs around now and NO other Live apps like this one
Last edited by forge on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:58 pm

With track view open, use ALT+Down to switch focus to track view which automatically selects the first device.
Use arrow keys to switch to the next device to the right/left.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:03 pm

:?:

doesnt work here

[edit: ok found it - you have to press it 3 times - didnt know it did that]

even still - you have to look at your monitor and navigate around the screen

I'd rather have a button I knew would take me straight to each device

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:07 pm

misteron wrote:With track view open, use ALT+Down to switch focus to track view which automatically selects the first device.
Use arrow keys to switch to the next device to the right/left.
Works fine on one level, but what if you want to access a device within a rack?

Face it, all MIDI control improvements in the past 2 years have been based on a protocol that was conceived to milk more money out of MIDI controllers.
Damn Novation...

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm not happy with the way live handles this stuff either, the lack of program change support for native devices, no configureable hotkeys, very limited user scripts (8 encoders, 8 level faders, 16 sends knobs...) etc...

but here's an idea what you could do:

create lots of user scripts for control surfaces and lock them to various devices in the set....

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:20 pm

forge wrote:- you have to press it 3 times - didnt know it did that]

even still - you have to look at your monitor and navigate around the screen

I'd rather have a button I knew would take me straight to each device
Use Bomes to send those 3 sets of strokes from a midi controller.
That way u only need to "press" once.
As for navigating I'm sure you'll remember the sequence of your device chain.
Use Bome to map left/right arrows to MIDI buttons.
Or have one button that sends ALT+Down 3times followed by right arrow the appropriate number of times to get to a certain thing you want to control.
SO you could set up a button for each device you want to control.

Even better - to save on MIDI buttons - use keyboard keys and do the mapping with AutoHotkey

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:23 pm

davec1 wrote:create lots of user scripts for control surfaces and lock them to various devices in the set....
Would that necessitate having an equal number of MIDI controllers?
OR is there some clever way around that?

kabuki

Re: the biggest frustration using Live live....

Post by kabuki » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:27 pm

forge wrote:please Ableton, let me leave the hunched nerd behind so that I can really play this 'sequencer instrument' like a sequencer instrument without needing all these extra 3rd party tools
I think he means WITHOUT using bomes. Its a very good request. Why on earth should we have to use a 3rd party app to do something so obvious?

It feels as though Ableton has been missing the mark for a good long while. Live is not so Live oriented anymore.
Last edited by kabuki on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm

davec1 wrote: create lots of user scripts for control surfaces and lock them to various devices in the set....
well that;s what I'm starting to do now with GlovePIE - I'm actually going to see if I can do what Misteron suggested with Bomes - I've never actually used Bomes so it's probably about time I checked it out, I'm just going to end up with so many 3rd party things to do things that Live probably should do in the box

I dont know, there's loads I really like about Live 7 but they went too much in the DAW direction IMO - Live use requires basic things like this and it requires simplicity

when you are playing Live you need everything to be as Simple as possible

things are getting way too complex and the focus is not on Live use and it should be given this is the only program that does all this stuff aimed at Live use

look at Analog for example - I cant even begin to imagine using that pokey little interface in a Live setting, the only way would be to use pre-defined Macros, and with onyl 8 macros and no way of selecting it remotely that's been crippled

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 pm

kabuki wrote:Live is not so Live oriented anymore.
exactly - I mean how many friggin DAWs do we need - they're practically giving them away with Cereal - Live comes along and is THE ONLY program that did all this stuff and now it's trying to be another DAW

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

forge wrote:
exactly - I mean how many friggin DAWs do we need - they're practically giving them away with Cereal - Live comes along and is THE ONLY program that did all this stuff and now it's trying to be another DAW
what do you mean? Its not like that feature was there & abandoned in favour of a linear DAW fuction

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:36 pm

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I hate the fact that Mainstage got it right and ablerton is adamently silent in some of these feature requests. I am actually looking at going to a 2 deck/timecode DJing setup instead of Live because without certain features, I cant see why I should use live. The sound drops, I can't use Program changes, I don't get cue points (like most DJ software has had for years)... what's the point?

Icould do everything I really need (or want) to do with Logic, Mainstage, and Serratto... I just would really like to do it all in one program. Oh well.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:38 pm

This is why I'll stick with 6 for live use.

7 should be called Ableton Desk.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:
forge wrote:
what do you mean? Its not like that feature was there & abandoned in favour of a linear DAW fuction
Not abandoned. Neglected. What good are all the new instruments and drum racks if I need a separate midi controller for each one because Live lacks Program change functionality. THat is some BASIC stuff that should have been available since Live 4 (introduction of MIDI in Live, I think). Cue points? That makes too much sense to ignore. More than 8 macros. Obvious. All obvious except to the Ableton folks.

I really like this company and their app, but Live does less and less of what it started out for with every update. I am about to give up.

Bokonon

Post by Bokonon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:41 pm

forge wrote:lately I've been much more focused on setting up a Live rig and it's really hitting me like a vicious, jagged shard of misery that you cant select devices via MIDI or KEY
What is it exactly you want to do, because I'm not really sure from your description.

Why is it you need to select the devices?, and then someone might be able to suggest a workaround or different approach for adressing them for the reason you want to.