Let's all contemplate Fruity Loops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Let's all contemplate Fruity Loops

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm

It’s kind of a ridiculous value. US$50-$100 buys you a perfectly usable version of the program — not a stripped-down, crippled version; you even get some extras. The most you can spend is about US$199-299, or $399 if you absolutely have to have it in a box. Opening that collection is like walking into an art museum of plug-in development, from avant-garde oddities to classics, with all the bundled noisemakers. Only it’s a museum where you can lick the paintings. For soft synth lovers, even the $500 Logic Pro bundle or new $1000 Ableton suite can’t compare in sheer value.

It keeps getting better. Cheap and free upgrades keep you getting new features. FL has gradually matured from a nifty niche tool to one of the most mature programs out there. And download versions have lifetime free upgrades
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/2 ... than-ever/

now, I'm not about to start using it, but does anything about that quoted paragraph make you say "hmmmm".

if it doesn't .. lets just say this
Make your own instruments and effects: FL is bundled with FL SynthMaker, an “FL-native” version of one of the best DIY plugin makers on any platform. You can now build your own MIDI “dashboards”, effects, and instruments without coding and share what you’ve made with other FL users.

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm

FEAR THE REAPER.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:23 pm

> It’s kind of a ridiculous value.

jesus christ - effin yanks

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Two words:

WINDOWS ONLY

smiley:

:x
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 pm

I would probably own it if I ran Windows, it can be used as a VST instrument inside Live, like Kore or Energy XT.
Energy XT is the most 'ridiculous' value on PC though. The OSX version doesn't support running itself as a VSTi yet.

@mesmer, it's coded in Windows specific code, they would essentially have to rewrite the entire code to port. I assume to a degree that's true for Digital Performer on the Mac side. :?

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm

yea I know.
At least they are honest, even candid about it as it I remember it is in their FAQ with a sort of sly sense of humor....

That's more or less different than the Adobe Goons in charge of Audition ("cool edit") ... It took them nearly two years to get a straigth answer, just like last month. Oh and it basically comes down to: "dude, run XP to use Audition".

pffstsss!
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:51 pm

LIFETIME FREE UPGRADES.

It's the one thing I miss now being on a mac. Especially with the introduction of the synthmaker plug. wow.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:55 pm

I fucking hate you guys.

shit, I'd still rather get really good at Ableton, guitar, turntable, bass, patch making, song writing, blah blah blah than learn ANOTHER DAW. my will is slipping.

someone buy it for me and it'll GUARANTEE that I won't be around here nearly as much, if at all.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm

we feels better.
Their forums are a clusterfuck mess web app thing.

us forums better Is
us rule
---
---

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:03 pm

I just want Ableton to compete.
I mean ... please beat the app which is 1/5th of your price.

IE - don't introduce the Cycling collab with a €500 price tag
don't introduce a new luxury bassoon pack

Instead introduce some nice customisation features that are powerful, easy to use and competitively priced.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm certainly not switching ... I just want Ableton to compete.

shit, that's not right. I mean ...
oh yeah I am totally gonna switch and so are all my friends, unless Ableton compete.

yep
The "... or I'll kill the bunny." technique doesn't work on the Abes.

Anybody up for a gasoline shower?

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm

i've been very tempted by the fl studio option, but i already own synthmaker, so that doesnt appeal and the mixer is really awful to use.

shame really as there is loads of good stuff in FL studio, like midi editing and groo...

oh fuck it.

its like deja vu all over again.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:I just want Ableton to compete.
I mean ... please beat the app which is 1/5th of your price.

IE - don't introduce the Cycling collab with a €500 price tag
don't introduce a new luxury bassoon pack

introduce some nice customisation features that are powerful, easy to use and competitively priced.
wait a sec, not so fast-- what does a luxurious bassoon sound like?

:)

It should be noted, besides the windows only, for windows users, here's a difference between using live and using flstudio that should be noted:

Add a track to a set playing in Live, your set continues unhindered.

Add a track to a running set of track sin FLStudio. *clunk* ... rhythmic derailment is inevitable.

I have FLStudio, it is a great thing to have as a plugin in Live, set up the things you want to use in it ahead of time and switch between them. Plus, you can do especially amazing things with the combination of Live, Plogue Bidule and FLStudio.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Contemplating...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:50 pm