Bearded men ahoy, share your advice..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Bearded men ahoy, share your advice..

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 am

Who here has a beard? I've started growing mine, past the main itchy phase now :P .. . .. . .

other than using the beard as a backup repository for food, what other tips and advice do you guys have for maintaining your beards?

do you use shampoo and condition your beards? .. trim them regularly or let it grow?

how to avoid looking like you're about to wage Jihad or came out of a homeless shelter?

all advice appreciate !

- NS

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am

My advice: Shave it off

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am

Hippy

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:22 am

OvertoneZero wrote:My advice: Shave it off
:D:D:D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 am

beard thoughts:
1:I don't recommend going for the 'tidy-beard', mark of the pervert.
2: Do carve it into ill advised and ludicrous shapes to show your artistic nature / immaturity (more reversible than a shit tattoo)
3: for every girl who is repelled by the beard there is another lass with a bizarre beard fetish.
4: be aware that you will now blend in with gay men while this weird 'bear' fashion lasts. (well it's still strong around here anyway). that's not a bad thing, but this info may help you understand the odd conversations that crop up!
5: children are fascinated by the beard. Instant entertainment for all the family.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 am

Angstrom wrote:Image

beard thoughts:
1:I don't recommend going for the 'tidy-beard', mark of the pervert.
2: carve it into ill advised and ludicrous shapes to show your artistic nature / immaturity (more reversable than a shit tattoo)
3: for every girl who is repelled by the beard there is another with a bizarre beard fetish.
4: be aware that you will now blend in with gay men while this weird 'bear' fashion lasts. (well it's still strong around here anyway). that's not a bad thing, but this info may help you understand the odd conversations that crop up.
5: children are fascinated by the beard. Instant entertainment.
1. you must be one big pervert :P

2. yeah i may end up naturally going with the wolverine look.. lol

3. hahaha .. my wife is definately not one for the beard but shes a sport for puttin up with it..

question.. when you do the shaving fine lines and leaving say the craig david line around your face.. what if you shave it slightly wrong (fuck up the lines) one day.. do you shave it all off and start again?

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:38 am

i've tried growing my beard a few times, but i can never cope with the horrific itch that comes once it grows past the point of just being stubble.

so lately i've just been rocking the dirty stubble look. keeping it trimmed with my buzzers.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 am

sweetjesus wrote: question.. when you do the shaving fine lines and leaving say the craig david line around your face.. what if you shave it slightly wrong (fuck up the lines) one day.. do you shave it all off and start again?
mine is actually not very Craig David - it is too wayward for that. More like a runty biker style. It was actually copied from a martial arts movie called "Iron Monkey" - in that there is an evil guy who has a stupid beard that made me laugh , so I copied it.

shaving the side bits is easy with a normal wet razor, and I've never fucked it up so bad I had to abandon beard.

I do have a daft tendency to shave shapes into the side of my head though, such as making it look like my beard goes over my ears and connects round the back, they go wrong all the time as I have to do them with clippers.
yes, I know .. but it entertains me.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:03 am

Angstrom wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: question.. when you do the shaving fine lines and leaving say the craig david line around your face.. what if you shave it slightly wrong (fuck up the lines) one day.. do you shave it all off and start again?
mine is actually not very Craig David - it is too fat and wayward for that. More biker style. It was actually copied from a martial arts movie called "Iron Monkey" - in that there is an evil guy who has a stupid beard that made me laugh , so I copied it.

shaving the side bits is easy with a normal wet razor, and I've never fucked it up so bad I had to abandon beard.

I do have a daft tendency to shave shapes into the side of my head though, such as making it look like my beard goes over my ears and connects round the back, they go wrong all the time as I have to do them with clippers.
yes, I know .. stupid.
:D

im 100% imagining a stencil shape around the back of your skull.. or a Kriss Kross emblem zig zagged into ur hair.. err scalp..

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 am

aqua_tek wrote:i've tried growing my beard a few times, but i can never cope with the horrific itch that comes once it grows past the point of just being stubble.

so lately i've just been rocking the dirty stubble look. keeping it trimmed with my buzzers.
ur in miami though, you get the Don Johnson look down :P

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 am

I was told once I look like Bluton on account of my beard. Since then there has been a Popeye theme in my public persona as my myspace displays.

One possible remedy for this mistaken Identity was to shave the cheeks and neck so that it is more cultivated - actually not entirely dissimilar to Angstroms in the quoted picture here

also, I noticed not so long ago, not remarkably different to Black adder the 2nd

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 am

I finally gave the beard thing a try when I qquit my job and moved. Took awhile to get used to, but I did eventually. I found that I needed to keep it trimmed with a #2 attachment on my hair clippers to be the most comfortable, no jesus beards here.

If it got itchy, usually just washing my face worked well, though nothing kills the 1 week growth itch. The wife liked the way it looked, didn;t like how it felt though, so I ended up shaving it after 6 weeks.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:19 am

forge wrote:I was told once I look like Bluton on account of my beard. Since then there has been a Popeye theme in my public persona as my myspace displays.

One possible remedy for this mistaken Identity was to shave the cheeks and neck so that it is more cultivated - actually not entirely dissimilar to Angstroms in the quoted picture here

also, I noticed not so long ago, not remarkably different to Black adder the 2nd

not on the bearded topic, but your popeye comment reminded me of your main myspace quote and remembering that i realised your secondary myspaced (myspace) player, the flash one doesnt really play.. im keen to hear ur remix of James Mowbary and D Ramirez, is it official by the ways?

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:22 am

sweetjesus wrote:
forge wrote:I was told once I look like Bluton on account of my beard. Since then there has been a Popeye theme in my public persona as my myspace displays.

not on the bearded topic, but your popeye comment reminded me of your main myspace quote and remembering that i realised your secondary myspaced (myspace) player, the flash one doesnt really play.. im keen to hear ur remix of James Mowbary and D Ramirez, is it official by the ways?
nah it was a beatport remix comp about 3 years ago now - I contacted James and he gave me some good feedback, but the comp just fizzled out then disappeared and was never mentioned again

I havent sent a demo off in at least 3 years!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:24 am

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:

nah it was a beatport remix comp about 3 years ago now - I contacted James and he gave me some good feedback, but the comp just fizzled out then disappeared and was never mentioned again

I havent sent a demo off in at least 3 years!
theres a guy i know down in sydney who has a label and is puttin together a digital compilation of minimal/tech type stuff

u should contact him with ur demos