Comping in Arranger view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Torkjell

Comping in Arranger view

Post by Torkjell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Live should have comping in arrangement view. This means the ability to record multiple takes, and then choosing the best parts from the takes to one "killer" audio track. Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase/Nuendo etc. have it.
Why should not Live have it?

I came from Nuendo, and has used Live now for over a year. Comping is really the only feature I miss and need when recording.

Torkjell Midtgaard
Norway
Torkjell
Go visit www.tmmedia.no

Philippe_Michael

Post by Philippe_Michael » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:56 pm

This feature is already there. I've recently learned it form Electronic Musician mag.

Make a loop where you want to record (maybe your chorus?). Activate the looping and record your audio (let's say your singing) as many times as needed. All these takes are saved in Live!!! Once your done recording your beautiful voice, hehe, create as many tracks as you had takes Cntrl+T. Cntrl+click to copy your recorded clip to every track at the EXACT SAME POSITION (same bar) as it was on the original track. Now go in the clip info, or clip tab (I donnu what to call it). You can see all your takes are recorded! For every track, move the start/stop markers to fit your desired take. Now all you do is listen thruogh the tracks, cut some parts and when your done, you can also kinda crossfade this way using automation of mixer. Et Voila! Jump your tracks and your done.

This is actually one of the nicest ways of comping I've seen, though the lack of crossfades renders annoying. Still, have fun with this, and thanks EM.

HowardW

Post by HowardW » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Philippe_Michael wrote:This feature is already there. I've recently learned it form Electronic Musician mag.

Make a loop where you want to record (maybe your chorus?). Activate the looping and record your audio (let's say your singing) as many times as needed. All these takes are saved in Live!!! Once your done recording your beautiful voice, hehe, create as many tracks as you had takes Cntrl+T. Cntrl+click to copy your recorded clip to every track at the EXACT SAME POSITION (same bar) as it was on the original track. Now go in the clip info, or clip tab (I donnu what to call it). You can see all your takes are recorded! For every track, move the start/stop markers to fit your desired take. Now all you do is listen thruogh the tracks, cut some parts and when your done, you can also kinda crossfade this way using automation of mixer. Et Voila! Jump your tracks and your done.

This is actually one of the nicest ways of comping I've seen, though the lack of crossfades renders annoying. Still, have fun with this, and thanks EM.
This is what I've been doing for comping, but I think what Torkjell was refering to is the ability to record, edit and select multiple takes in the same track. Thats the way I used to do it in Cubase and it was a lot easier.

I'll add to your tip though. I make sure I create my tracks beforehand and route the whole lot through a single input track with all my effects and processing - otherwise you end up having to load multiple instances of your effects which puts a big strain on your CPU. When you're happy record it or bounce it down.

H

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:10 am

HowardW wrote:This is what I've been doing for comping, but I think what Torkjell was refering to is the ability to record, edit and select multiple takes in the same track. Thats the way I used to do it in Cubase and it was a lot easier.
Vitamin L allows you to do all of this. See this thread --

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=672462

bandybum2

Post by bandybum2 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:28 am

Yes this is an absolute must for any DAW, and essential for speedy, confident working in a composition tool.

PLEASE implement!

+111

majestic0424

I'll second to the comp Track

Post by majestic0424 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:50 pm

It has to exist in Live!

Koston

Post by Koston » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 am

Technically achieving what track comping does is very possible in Live; it's about speeding up workflow and making projects easier to handle, just like the "Extern. Instruments" addition was to Live 7.

Take a look at eg. Digital Performer 6's new track comping feat., something like that would definetely find it's place in my Live use. Should be a breeze to implement, too, as it's basically just an UI/arrangement enhancement.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 am

Comping in Logic is amazing (and fun), it just creates a new track for every take, you shade the parts you like from each with the mouse then use a flatten command which collapses them all back to one with your choices intact.

adXok

Re: Comping in Arranger view

Post by adXok » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 am

YES!!!

I would like to see Ableton handles 'multiple takes' and 'loop recording' simmilar to Reaper.

1. Every loop to be as a new file either on the hard drive or just as a audio clip or slice (arrangemetn view).
2. Choose how to be viewed all the recorded takes: either one above/below another, one after another or the last on top of the previous (on top)
3. Crossfades now are not so intuitive. They just have to be clip based (and stay into the clip!), not so envelope based as they are now

This is a missing feature that keeps me away from buying ableton for last 6 years.
:)