KB: MacBook vs MBP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

KB: MacBook vs MBP

Post by hambone1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:42 am

I'm replacing my MacBook. What's the performance difference between a MacBook and MBP given identical processors, RAM, and hard drives?

I don't really need added video power, multi-touch trackpad, or FW800. It's only for simple DJing and Impulse percussion.
Last edited by hambone1 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 am

you basically answered your own question there.

go with the macbook. mbp is only better for video and stuff. although the mbp's are a bit more powerful now, i think the macbook is all you need, plus it's smaller and therefor better on the move.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 am

ps. who the hell needs a multi touch trackpad anyway? i don't mind clicking back or forth on my browser or even using keyboard shortcuts for zooming and rotating. i think apple don't always put their focus on the right things. to me it just seems like an excuse to put out a new model. the same with the imacs. they were almost the same, except for a new look and a bit thinner.
...and don't get me started on macbook air!
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:06 pm

the main advantage in my opinion is a bigger screen. better videocard, better looks;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:28 pm

I got the Mini, which is basically a macbook without a screen.
Its comparable to what my dual G5 was capable off.
If it had a better graphics card, this little puppy would beat the G5 hands down.
The Mini has more processing power in the audio department. But I could do anything on the G5.
So with the macbook you get a computer thats more powerful then any other mac you owned in some areas. With the macbook pro you're getting the most powerful computer you ever had.
At least in my case. If I'm not mistaken we had the same G5.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

I waited a few months to see what the new mbp would be and wasn't too impressed.

Very happy to have got a "old" mbp for £930 on clearance at the mac store though!(student discount as well)
would have been £1299 a few weeks earlier.

The new black mac books pretty nice with the new 250 gig hard drive and 2.4 processor.

The extra real estate on the screen was the important thing for me. 2 inches seems to make a surprising difference to my workflow, especially when dealing with any amount of plugins and switching between windows
Last edited by babkubwa on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 pm

I still use my G5 for Live running Arkaos video and DMX lighting, and a Mac Mini for a live visualizer, piped into a video capture card in the G5.

My daughter wants a MacBook, so she can have mine and I'll replace it. I did think about upgrading to an MBP, but I'd rather spend the extra cash on a decent external HD, liking this one over the LaCie: http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/proddetail/ ... SB_Mac_Win_/

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Mac Book PRO advantages

Video card, Way better performance and no stealing system ram.

bigger screen,

firewire 800 as well as 400 ports,

not losing 144 MB+RAM to your graphics card with sucky Intel graphics (which affects performance on arrangement view with scrolling on if there are multiple tracks, not just a gaming feature)

7200 rpm HD option available (essential in my opinion for any serious multitrack DAW work), only 5400 rpm on Macbook.

17" MBP has 3 USB slots as opposed to the 2 on the Macbook and 15" MBP.

Cardbus 3/4 interface - no cardbus interface on Macbook

the macbook screen will be responsible for many trips to the optician as people's eyesight goes from straining to see the tiny screen.[/b]
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:10 pm

leedsquietman wrote: Mac Book PRO advantages

Video card, Way better performance and no stealing system ram.

bigger screen,

firewire 800 as well as 400 ports,

not losing 144 MB+RAM to your graphics card with sucky Intel graphics (which affects performance on arrangement view with scrolling on if there are multiple tracks, not just a gaming feature)

7200 rpm HD option available (essential in my opinion for any serious multitrack DAW work), only 5400 rpm on Macbook.

17" MBP has 3 USB slots as opposed to the 2 on the Macbook and 15" MBP.

Cardbus 3/4 interface - no cardbus interface on Macbook

the macbook screen will be responsible for many trips to the optician as people's eyesight goes from straining to see the tiny screen.[/b]
Well, that the MBP is a better computer isn't really in question. The question is: Is the cheapest MBP really 700 dollars better than the middle MB (for non-gaming/graphics use). Those dollars could easily pay for a better hard drive and some cheap 22" screen to use at home/in the studio.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:13 pm

MBP also has the lighted keys which are great in dark clubs, and the option for the matte display, another excellent club feature. Oh, and the aluminum chassis runs cooler too, nice in hot clubs.

Did I mention the ways it's better in a club?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Also, I'd watch the refurb section on the Apple store, some GREAT deals there now on the last gen MBP's, just had 2 friends get some for great prices.

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Is it really meaningful to get more than the standard 2GB of RAM if You're not using huge sample sets? 4 seems kinda overkill.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I did a live recording with a friend's MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. I had nine tracks recording into the internal hard drive. The reason I used the internal is that the interface (002) connected via FireWire, and I didn't want to max out the FW bus with an external FW drive.

The live recording was over an hour long. Everything went fine until the climax. The band got really loud for the last five minutes and I had chosen to record at 48 kHz 24-bit. When the band got loud, they ended up maxing out the bandwidth on the FireWire port and Pro Tools crapped out and I couldn't record the last four minutes of the piece. Thank goodness the band did two shows that night! For the second show I switched back to 44.1 16-bit. That worked all the way through but didn't sound as detailed.

For that reason I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro next time around. I am also going to get an RME Multiface II and the express card deal (that just started shipping BTW :D ). I'm also going to get a 7200 rpm 500GB Glyph external drive and connect it to the FW800 port on the MBP.

The opportunity to record an amazing live band doesn't pop up too often, but it did pop up once and I pulled it off. Next time I want to do it even better. So this kit will allow me to do that with my other outboard gear (Octane, preamps, compressors, mics, etc). It'll also make a sweet ass DJ'ing kit! It's going to take a long time to buy each piece, but I know what I want 100%. Only then can I even consider getting a Moog Voyager and some Neumanns. Oh, and a Sony D-50! I've got the next 5 years of my financial ruin all mapped out.

For you work Hammy, the basic MacBook seems like it's fine. But since you went through the trouble to create this thread it seems like you might be longing for something new and more powerful. Fuck it man. Pull the trigger on a MBP. Why not? Life is a short bastard.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I think the express card slot, 3 usb ports, and larger screen are worth taking into consideration. Depending on how often you buy new computers you should look beyond at what is just going to get you by for now but for years to come. I know you do a lot of audio, video, and light work and maybe soon down the road some technology will be released that you will need that express card slot or extra usb port.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:27 pm

Santa Rosa MBPs are on clearance at the Apple Store.

For me, the two biggest factors would be the Expresscard slot and the FW800. The graphics card is a nice bonus, but not that big a deal. But those added ports are probably worth the extra cost.

Now to the original poster's criteria, it's prolly not super important to have the pro given what you're doing.

Also to reference other comments, swapping the hard drive and ram on a Macbook is SUPER easy, as opposed to swapping the hard drive on the MBP, which is major surgery.

My bottom line recommendation would be to get the stock MB, then get aftermarket 7200 rpm hard drive and up the ram to 4gb, and you'll be in great shape for what you're doing.