soooo this ableton live vocoder

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 pm

I do agree with Robert's point of view though, that it is an exotic effect and a bit surprising that they would bother with that. There are plenty of other areas to concentrate on than making more niche instruments.
Perhaps they have already finished fixing Sampler's many little issues (midi assignments, timestretching, granularity, etc ) and are just killing time with this effect.

There are often requests for a Vocoder on the forum, but to be honest I always think these requests come from the same people who say things like "how can I make French house". IE - beginners with short attention spans.

Unless you are in a daft punk tribute act, exactly how often does a vocoder get used? For me the last time I used one in a track was at least 8 years ago.

I don't really get excited about the same things as the people who want a lesson on "making phat beats for beginners", but I do see that there will always be a financial incentive to appeal to them - as there are fucking millions of them.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Angstrom wrote:I always think these requests come from the same people who say things like "how can I make French house".
:lol:
Image Image

m:o

Post by m:o » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 pm

For me a vocoder can really expand sonic possibilities, besides the million times heard "Daft Punk" or "Kraftwerk" sound.

Lately i did route some crackles i recorded from rice packages as "modulator" thru the vocoder of my Nord Modular. Together with a nice FM sound as "carrier" i got some really nice warm, atmospheric crackle soundscape. Vocoders are great, period, but IMO not neccesary as new effect in Live. because of the previous reasons.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:04 pm

m:o wrote:For me a vocoder can really expand sonic possibilities, besides the million times heard "Daft Punk" or "Kraftwerk" sound.

Lately i did route some crackles i recorded from rice packages as "modulator" thru the vocoder of my Nord Modular. Together with a nice FM sound as "carrier" i got some really nice warm, atmospheric crackle soundscape. Vocoders are great, period, but IMO not neccesary as new effect in Live. because of the previous reasons.
I agree that the posibilities with vocoding go far beyond "mmaaayyykk eeeett fuuuunnkkkeeeeyyyy"

but I get the impression that the majority of requests for an Ableton branded Vocoder do not come from the exploratory "sound-manglers" but from the beginners.

I'm sure I will use one if it arrives, but I'm just a little surprised that it will arrive.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Errr... My impression from that video clip is that Robert is being a little bit ironic?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:15 pm

And Live had Erosion and Grain Delay for years before it got a chorus... I would think the vocoder's exoticitinissism would be more of a reason to make one than not?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Errr... My impression from that video clip is that Robert is being a little bit ironic?
hard to tell, but I didn't thinks so.
when he said it was "a bit esoteric" I thought he was being genuine.

just look at his facial expression here.

genuine !

ah no.. wait I meant .. "nighmare-ish!"

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 pm

It is difficult to tell. I was mostly thinking about all the laughing before he actually answers the question. Robert is the giggling sort, but it takes him a almost twenty seconds to come up with a reply...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:29 pm

noisetonepause wrote:It is difficult to tell. I was mostly thinking about all the laughing before he actually answers the question. Robert is the giggling sort, but it takes him a almost twenty seconds to come up with a reply...
Yeah, but when asked about the serial port on the monodeck II... Its a confident giggle you get then. One of those evil giggles.

This looked like genuine surprise to me.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

i'm sure he's being ironic.
"no one needs a vocoder" is nothing an open minded guy like robert henke would say, i suppose.

also, what's with this "grrrrr" sound he makes after his statement? sounds like "how come this has already leaked" to me.

anyway, i'm looking forward to the vocoder, for some reason i always found vocoders a very abletonesque concept of sound design.
Last edited by Zerobae on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Errr... My impression from that video clip is that Robert is being a little bit ironic?
that was my impression as well..

like;

"..a vocoder?
naah.. that would be too exotic wouldn't it?.."

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:51 pm

ANYWAYS

We've SEEN the bloody thing! Of course it exists!

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

That sure is a funny looking guitar Robert has!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

popslut

Post by popslut » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:14 pm

I've got one of these:

Just saying.

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 pm

This just in * .....

Vocoder will be a free addition to the Live 7.2 update sometime in the second quarter. Of course first will come the 7.1 update, which will bring the finished version of sampler, including timestretch and sample start modulation, among 'many other improvements'.....

Obviously Ableton wouldn't dream of releasing a new device without finishing it's existing ones.... :P

* from an extremely reliable ableton insider (my girlfriends cat).