soooo this ableton live vocoder

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 pm

i didn't cause i refuse to install quicktime, evilevilevil

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:51 pm

COSM wrote:
Poster wrote:found a video snippet..

http://www.supload.com/vid/vocoder/756428348/mov/
I lold'
hehehe.. :wink:

how about yours?

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 am

RibbedSauce wrote:what are the 2 things people who use live and reason prefer in reason to live? (most people)
WHile I love both Reason and Live, I would have to say that the ReGroove mixer is the current *must have* element of Reason that Live 8... must have!!

Let us get our grooves on please!!
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:19 am

Vocoder? That video was showing off the visual feedback effect of the soon to be, and often requested feature in sampler - the ability to adjust sample start and loop points via MIDI :D Why would the abes release a new inst when they have already acknowledged that one is still incomplete?

RibbedSauce

Post by RibbedSauce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 am

headquest wrote:
RibbedSauce wrote:what are the 2 things people who use live and reason prefer in reason to live? (most people)
WHile I love both Reason and Live, I would have to say that the ReGroove mixer is the current *must have* element of Reason that Live 8... must have!!

Let us get our grooves on please!!
if the swedish work with the germans we could have ableton reason or propellerhead live :roll:
Hear The Music, Feel The Music, Be The Music

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:37 am

its the vocoder

and redrum

redrum - live brought in the drum rack in 7

so vocoder in 8

its all about competition
They should be focusing on the competition's ability to record automation for more than the first 128 parameters of a plugin or their superior automation curves and recording and crossfades and lfo/envelope automation for parameters and all the other shit that should be part of a proper DAW instead of piling on more boxed plugins that we can get on our own. I have a vocoder. I have several, actually. What I dont have is the DAW features I need to get my ideas into my music.

davec1

Post by davec1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 am

They should be focusing on the competition's ability to record automation for more than the first 128 parameters of a plugin or their superior automation curves and recording and crossfades and lfo/envelope automation for parameters and all the other shit that should be part of a proper DAW instead of piling on more boxed plugins that we can get on our own. I have a vocoder. I have several, actually. What I dont have is the DAW features I need to get my ideas into my music.
+1

+ make live devices respond to programme change messages, among other things...

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Vocoder? That video was showing off the visual feedback effect of the soon to be, and often requested feature in sampler - the ability to adjust sample start and loop points via MIDI :D Why would the abes release a new inst when they have already acknowledged that one is still incomplete?
tell me its actually true... please.. oh and time stretch in sampler ..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 am

m:o wrote:A vocoder is quite nice (and i don't just mean the robotvoice type of things), but why is ableton thinking that this "a real important" feature...? You can get pretty nice Vocoders in soft- and hardware realm - even for free!

I'll stop complaining if i get my modulation matrix (lfo's) and flawless parameter clip recording.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was inspired by Angstrom's thing, which they liked so much they highlighted in the newsletter. They probably took a look at that and realized, hey, it wouldn't be too hard for us to do this too, except that since we wrote all the components he's using, we could put it into a single device and make it cpu efficient.

And it's actually not really possible (afaik) to get a free mac vocoder that works. mda's talkbox AU is broken (has been for over a year now). The VST version is now UB but is a huge pain to use, since it mimics the sidechain with one of the stereo channels. I would personally be really happy if they added a vocoder (though I have certain other features I personally would rank as more important, too).

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:07 am

I feel insulted (although i LOVE a vocoder) that they would waste precious resources on such as this. Yeah business is business, but that doesn't make it allright. They've got the majority of the user-base by the balls. Because there is no competition.
Life is Good

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:04 am

Oh come on... that's silly. Insulted? Seriously, get a grip!

Every new version of Live has a few new effects thrown in. They are not *major* features, just little extras. And they are useful.

The fact that they drop in a few effects each year doesn't mean they haven't ALSO consistently improved the core application and developed Live into - in my opinion - the most exciting music software around.

Listen on Soundcloud

COSM

Post by COSM » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:11 am

Here is the video that should answer everything (unless he is bullshitting).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWokLw6dR6U

It's a short snippit of the full 90 minute video available here

http://monolake.cosm.co.nz

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:18 pm

I wonder how much it'll cost?

Not that I need a vocoder...
Image Image

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm

COSM wrote:Here is the video that should answer everything (unless he is bullshitting).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWokLw6dR6U
It's a short snippit of the full 90 minute video available here
http://monolake.cosm.co.nz
very interesting .
Either Robert is an excellent actor, or the office made the vocoder on a whim while he was in Oz / Nz, or Claes made it and no-one knew! , or it really wasn't a vocoder (despite having 'vocoder' written on the title bar!)

If this video represents Robert's true feeling on an Ableton vocoder, and I guess it does, then there will be lotsa laughs when he gets back to their office and sees ...

their new 'flanger' 8O

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:41 pm

:lol: indeed!

Listen on Soundcloud