Live 7 release Audio drivers for PT?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Live 7 release Audio drivers for PT?

Post by buckman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:27 pm

I am using an original Mbox with Ableton 7.0.2 and Protools LE 7.4. on a Mac dual core running Tiger 10.4.9 with 4GB.

Now I have selected PT as my editor in Live 7 which is fine but when i go to open it it says

Digidesign drivers in use Error -1133

Is there anyway for Live 7 to release the Mbox drivers whilst im in the other application? or can it use coreaudio with both applications at the same time?

I did want to use 3 main programs on the mac, Logic 8, Live 7 and PT all with the mbox but is this possible? I know i can run rewire so for example i can use Logc and Live rewired together as one, but will PT still open??

is there anyway around this other than buying another soundcard?

Thanks in advance

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 pm

May be a conflict of use of the audio device/driver... Since Ableton is using it already protools has an issue when you open it.

Not sure if protools LE can use another audio device, but if you could select your onboard audio, that could fix your issue.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:03 am

if you click on abletons cpu meter it turns audio off and releases the driver(at least on pc anyway...)
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 am

Clearscreen wrote:if you click on abletons cpu meter it turns audio off and releases the driver(at least on pc anyway...)
Extra step pain in the ass but hey thats a way around it.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 am

The MBOX and PTLE are the demon spawn of Satan.

Crappy performance and drivers (someone told me 512 samples is the minimum latency), no Plugin Delay Compensation, awful dated GUI, poor MIDI that makes Live look great (and not much does MIDI wise).

I'd rather cut off my balls and fire them from a big top circus cannon than use Digidesign's 500 dollar freeware and CRAPBOX.

Logic at least is a reasonable DAW to go with Live.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:50 am

leedsquietman wrote:Digidesign's 500 dollar freeware and CRAPBOX.
that is exactly how i view pro tools. its no better than alot of the freeware out there.
here is a little list of things that i hate about pro tools.
no track freezing, what the hell is with that? this is suppose to be the standard?
the gui, its so ugly i cant stand it.
having to use the keyboard for alot of dumb crap like switching between mix and edit views.
the way the grid is set up makes it a pain in the ass to zoom in and fine edit without high lighting a piece of audio you didint want to select.
it takes up more resources than any other daw i have seen, just opening pro tools takes almost 300mb of ram on my system, live takes up about 120mb.
the whole routing system is a total pain in the ass.
all around it is a horrible daw to create music in. it might be good as just a tape recorder but so is alot of freeware.
its a pile of shit in my opinion and way way way behind the times.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm

leedsquietman wrote:The MBOX and PTLE are the demon spawn of Satan.

Crappy performance and drivers (someone told me 512 samples is the minimum latency), no Plugin Delay Compensation, awful dated GUI, poor MIDI that makes Live look great (and not much does MIDI wise).

I'd rather cut off my balls and fire them from a big top circus cannon than use Digidesign's 500 dollar freeware and CRAPBOX.

Logic at least is a reasonable DAW to go with Live.
So in your opinion why is Pro Tools rated as the leader in the industry? Are there any good points about it that you can name?

I have heard so much good reviews from people that do my genre of music that I am seriously thinking about giving PT a try.
fe real!

doc holiday

Re: Live 7 release Audio drivers for PT?

Post by doc holiday » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 pm

buckman wrote:I am using an original Mbox with Ableton 7.0.2 and Protools LE 7.4. on a Mac dual core running Tiger 10.4.9 with 4GB.

Now I have selected PT as my editor in Live 7 which is fine but when i go to open it it says

Digidesign drivers in use Error -1133

you can't do this with PT, PT must always be opened first.

penningt

Post by penningt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 pm

buckman sorry if I'm about to hijack your thread but I have been drawn in by the comments on Pro Tools.

I have recently started using Pro Tools again (after putting it down for a year) because I wanted to use the following capabilities that are currently not available in Live ...

Audio quantizing and grooving
Region Fading

I agree the gui looks a bit dated but I am not too fussed since I think the capability is awesome.

If you haven't seen it already take a look at the "7.4 Elastic properties and warp markers" video on the Digidesign web site. I just love the way the guy stretches a kick sound using a Polyphonic algorithm to make it go Boooooooooooooommmmm. I tried to do this in Live but I did not get such a great result.

If you learn the keyboard shortcuts too the workflow is also very efficient.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:26 am

Pro Tools is industry standard because it was the first big digital DSP/Computer based rig that made people leave analog tape recording behind and because of this the studios invested heavily in it and moving to other DAWS such as Logic, Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude/Sequoia was not cost effective, even though the competition caught up and surpassed PT both in terms of features and cost several years ago. Live offers more features too, even if you prefer the warping algorithm in PTLE.

And because it was first and built up a huge following, it just became the go to program for studios.

Pro Tools HD (the system studios use which costs many thousands of dollars) has more features than PTLE so can't be compared. The only reason anyone uses PTLE or M-Powered is due to a) believing the hype about it being 'industry standard' and b) you can dump your project files straight into the PTHD system used by studios.

Pro Tools LE / M-Powered ties you to specific hardware (such as M-Audio for M-Powered or the MBOX, which is crap, or Digi 002/003), has no plugin delay compensation, no track freezing, very basic MIDI. It is fine for audio editing and the new time stretching is one positive feature in a sea of crap.

But again, this is only my opinion. I know plenty of other who share it but if it floats your boat, why would you care what I thought

:wink:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:32 am

leedsquietman wrote: It is fine for audio editing...

But again, this is only my opinion. I know plenty of other who share it but if it floats your boat, why would you care what I thought

i agree totally, and i use protools. i have zero intention of giving them another dollar for the le crap.

blank

Post by blank » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:18 am

Grab something free like audacity for audio editing and keep protools out of the equation. Will cost the same and work way better.

Protools is more a complete daw, not an audio editor.

I don't hate protools but I admit mbox are total pieces of krap when it comes to be used with other apps

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

evon

Post by evon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:46 pm

leedsquietman wrote:

I can relate to everything you say. As I say I have yet to try PT, and I am also wondering if the genre of music being produced would also be a factor.
Probably someone who has produced reggae and other genres with both Live & PT could come on the forum and give thier opinion.
fe real!

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:19 pm

as for PTLe and Mbox being crap;
they are paying my bills since the day they appeared...not bad for a piece of crap.

And yes, thank god for not having freeze tracks and other itwillworkaswesaidonedayinthenearfuturemaybe mumbojumbo; keeps my mind sharp, fast and making decisions easy ...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:21 am

Well, migrate to another DAW like Sonar, Cubase or Logic with a decent audio interface and you'll soon realize that your comment sounds fairly ridiculous.

It's like saying 'My car works. Screw power steering, anti-lock brakes, power windows and a nice CD player - my car has been getting me to work with no power steering, no anti-lock brakes, manual wind down windows and I like my 2 band manual tune push button radio' - then you actually drive a car with power steering, anti-lock brakes, power windows and a kick ass CD stereo system and you think "Wow. I've been driving a piece of shit for years when I could have had this luxury - DOH !'

People have gotten by using Audacity, if you;re going to use that argument and that is FREEWARE. PTLE is freeware quality software, you pay for the hardware and that is not amazing, not even the Digi003, I'd prefer a MOTU or RME interface.

Having track freeze (which works beautifully in Live) or similar (such as offline processing in Cubase for audio tracks) relieves a lot of stress on your CPU. How can haing no plugin delay compensation be a positive - having to run exactly the same plugins on every track or messing about manually entering numbers to stop things going out of sync (unless you use no plugins at all) - yes, it helps make you decisive. it makes you LIMITED. Limited and inflexible. All of which can be avoided by simply going for pretty much any other DAW in the same price range as PTLE.