Real auditioning in Drum rack/Impulse? Or is hot swap it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Olga

Real auditioning in Drum rack/Impulse? Or is hot swap it?

Post by Olga » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:25 am

I have a question. I've been using Drum rack instead of Battery 2 lately. I understand the hot swap, but is there a way to audition the sounds like in battery playing in a midi sequence without loading them? Just letting the sequence go while scrolling through lets say snare drums auditioning snare after snare without loading/swapping it out until you find a good one? Or is it down arrow enter swap out and thats it? And if it is load hot swap with no real audition feature and you go about your time swapping through 100 snares and finally come to the conclusion that the original one you started out with was the best thats now in some folder god knows where, how can you get back what you originally had? (like in battery) Bottom line, can you truly audition drums like in battery using drum rack or even impulse? I've only been using Battery before now.

thanks, olga

:)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:23 am

I don't think so, and it's a real pain. I miss that feature as well bigtime...

its always load, undo, load the next sample, undo etc etc

subSonik

Post by subSonik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 am

Youu know that if you have the headphone icon engaged in the browser that you can arrow down and preview each sample, right. Is this not what you mean? If you enter that sample, then you hot swap it again it will take yu right back to that sample.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:36 am

nah, thats not it.

Ideally, when you preview a sample it will temporarily replace the one in impulse/simpler so you can get a feel of what it really sounds like.... i.e. battery

"Preview in place" i believe they call it

subSonik

Post by subSonik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 am

Oh sorry. Never used battery, cool sounding feature though. One thing yyou can do with drum racks is move the sample to a different cell as you have 128 of them, then keep dragging in the new samples while midi seq is playing. Finally if you dont like any of them drag the original back to that cell.

Olga

Post by Olga » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 am

subSonik wrote:Youu know that if you have the headphone icon engaged in the browser that you can arrow down and preview each sample, right. Is this not what you mean? If you enter that sample, then you hot swap it again it will take yu right back to that sample.
No, its like using Battery you can have a full blown MIDI drum sequence going. You then hover over a hi hat pad thats firing for instance and right click while that pad continues to play & you can scroll through your entire computer auditioning different hi hats without actually loading them. Each hi hat you scroll through will be playing whatever midi data you have going on in the pattern on that pad without actually being loaded. You can scroll around like crazy browsing folders all over the place and when you find one that fits well, you then double click and it'll load. On the other hand if you don't find one you like, you just X out and it will auto revert back to what was originally playing to begin with. Makes drum programming and drum matching very fast.

subSonik

Post by subSonik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:50 am

That would be really cool to be able to do with drum racks. Ive been hearing some really good things about battery, maybe its time i check out the demo.

sUb

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:20 am

It's a drag ....

possible workaround: Alt-drag your drum channel to the right, thus creating a copy of it. Mute original channel. Hot swap your samples in the copied channel until you find the real deal. Compare it with the original channel. Better? Delete original channel. Not better? Delete the copy.

It's only a workaround, I know, but then again, in order to have a clean interface, I prefer to do stuff like this than getting lost in even more functionalities that I have to learn (or to explain to newbies). And alt-dragging a channel and muting the original channel is two actions, one drag and one click. How many actions do you have to do in battery in order to get into audition mode? Only one click? Well, one alt-drag isn't that much extra work.

Olga

Post by Olga » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:39 pm

pepezabala wrote:It's a drag ....

possible workaround: Alt-drag your drum channel to the right, thus creating a copy of it. Mute original channel. Hot swap your samples in the copied channel until you find the real deal. Compare it with the original channel. Better? Delete original channel. Not better? Delete the copy.

It's only a workaround, I know, but then again, in order to have a clean interface, I prefer to do stuff like this than getting lost in even more functionalities that I have to learn (or to explain to newbies). And alt-dragging a channel and muting the original channel is two actions, one drag and one click. How many actions do you have to do in battery in order to get into audition mode? Only one click? Well, one alt-drag isn't that much extra work.
:cry: Alright dang it, well thanks for this at least.

I guess its off to the feature Wishlist area.

olga