how to setup microkontrol as natively supported controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
antandra

Re: how to setup microkontrol as natively supported controller?

Post by antandra » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:20 pm

I just spent weeks figuring out how to use my Korg microKONTROL's full potential, and a few days ago, I discovered how to use it with ableton's instant mapping too. I made a tutorial with templates here:

http://www.intuitivebeats.com/tutorials ... rokontrol/

It's a good place to start, and then you can remap things the way you want from there. It's just a matter of opening the UserConfiguration.txt file and putting in the numbers for the knobs you're trying to control. The instant mapping is limited to the parameters in the text file, although you can do whatever custom mapping you want inside your live templates from there.

Hope this helps,

DJ Story :)
Cheers,

Antandra
Producer/Performer
http://www.antandra.com

Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may not remember; Involve me and I'll understand.
-Chinese Proverb

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 am

djstory wrote:I just spent weeks figuring out how to use my Korg microKONTROL's full potential, and a few days ago, I discovered how to use it with ableton's instant mapping too. I made a tutorial with templates here:

http://www.intuitivebeats.com/tutorials ... rokontrol/

It's a good place to start, and then you can remap things the way you want from there. It's just a matter of opening the UserConfiguration.txt file and putting in the numbers for the knobs you're trying to control. The instant mapping is limited to the parameters in the text file, although you can do whatever custom mapping you want inside your live templates from there.

Hope this helps,

DJ Story :)
Good stuff! really nice to get a detailed how to. It is interesting to see how others use the microkontrol..

I have a setup for operator somewhere, which uses 8 scenes just for operator, really great for jamming out some soundscapes.. I should try and dig it out.
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

Vovin

Post by Vovin » Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm

I am also having a problem with Ableton Live 8 and the MicroKontrol. I tried opening the preset in this thread but I get a "Failed to open MIDI input port. Can't find 'microKONTROL 1 MIDI IN' port"

This is what my prefs look like;

Vovin

Post by Vovin » Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Bump.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed May 19, 2010 5:59 am

Have you seen this?
willyc wrote:Hello all,

I have written a python control script for the Korg Microkontrol, available for download under the Socco Chico -> Software section of my website: http://www.chippanfire.com/

The script offers navigation through Lives tracks and devices, with the faders giving control of the 'selected track' and the encoders automapping to the parameters of the selected device. The LCD displays are utilised to display the names/values of the device parameters you are editing.

A pdf is available that gives instructions for installation and use.

Hopefully Microkontrol users will find the script a huge improvement on the support offered natively by Live.

Cheers
Will

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

#1thelark wrote:Have you seen this?
willyc wrote:Hello all,

I have written a python control script for the Korg Microkontrol, available for download under the Socco Chico -> Software section of my website: http://www.chippanfire.com/

The script offers navigation through Lives tracks and devices, with the faders giving control of the 'selected track' and the encoders automapping to the parameters of the selected device. The LCD displays are utilised to display the names/values of the device parameters you are editing.

A pdf is available that gives instructions for installation and use.

Hopefully Microkontrol users will find the script a huge improvement on the support offered natively by Live.

Cheers
Will
Nope that looks great, will check it out tonight!
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++

Vovin

Post by Vovin » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Nothing changed on the keyboard for me. And I seemed to follow the instructions right.

By USB audio device they mean my audio interface? And not the actual MicroKontrol? Either way I tried both and nothing changed.
Last edited by Vovin on Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed May 19, 2010 2:46 pm

USB-Audio Device stands for the name of your Microkontrol that you see in your live midi-prefs on a windows pc. I got three of them for inputs and two for outputs if I remember right. You need to use the first and second one of the Microkontrol inputs(Microkontrol B is actually the third)

Vovin

Post by Vovin » Wed May 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Holy lord it worked. You are a saint.

Well the sliders and setting buttons are working, still trying to see if the pads work.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed May 19, 2010 3:09 pm

You really need to hit them rather hard... the pad sensitivity isn't very good.

Vovin

Post by Vovin » Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Oh my god you aren't kidding. I have to nail these things. Okay everything works.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Maybe there's a velocity-response-setting in the script that could help with this?

willyc

Post by willyc » Wed May 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I suspect the pads have to send a velocity > 63 for the script to register a 'press', so wacking the pads is necessary...

You can set the pads to output a constant velocity whenever pressed via the menus on the hardware itself.... theres something in the korg manual for how to set this up.

I set mine to always output a velocity of 100, then they work fine as buttons.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks very much willy c!

I really love the way you have implemented native mode control of live with the microkontrol! Also the documentation was spot on, I didnt have any problems getting up and running.

Had an hour to spare last night, and really got into jamming away without much need for the mouse...

Do you have any plans to extend the functionality to support navigation + launching of a selected clip + record enabling a selected track?
That would be great!

slightly off topic, is it possible to save which controls you have configured for an AU/VST plugin.. e.g. Alchemy. Every time I want to start
tweaking on a new instance I need to go in and configure every control I am interested in.

One bug report.. if you use a sustain pedal it kills all the midi coming from the microkontrol, requiring a restart of Live.

thanks again

remedydub

Post by remedydub » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:45 am

Hiya,

So I havent had a great deal of luck with Ableton and my microKontrol. It looks pretty.

So is there a way to trigger these parts using the pads?

I tried the AM_MK_Automap.mks file but I cant tell if its loading, Korg Librarian keeps saying "Midi Timeout"

Id just be keen to be able to trigger these parts of Ableton using the pads- I see you guys referring to drum racks frequently but I'm guessing this is something different?

Thanks
AC