how to setup microkontrol as natively supported controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
byzo

Re: how to setup microkontrol as natively supported controller?

Post by byzo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:24 am

Guys.
Thanks for this post.
I've been fiddling around for days with this problem.
I downloaded the template in this post, matched the preferences with the attached picture and presto.

Done deal.

Prost!

Byron
MacBook Pro, Live 7.0.7, MicroKontrol, UC-33e, MS-20, TB-303, SH-09, Rhodes Mk II, Juno-60.

mrdave1981

Post by mrdave1981 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:25 am

I've been trying to get the microkontrol configured to work with my worflow a bit more. Is anyone aware whether the microkontrol will accept midi feedback data from live, primarily for the pads section. It would be really nice to get visual feedback with drumracks and the convertopps step sequencer chain I've been using. I've tried setting up a slaves midi track with midi routed back to microkontrol. Nothing blinking as I would hope. Any ideas?

#1thelark

MicroKontrol vs. other midi-controllers

Post by #1thelark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 am

I still don't know what I can expect from my MicroKontrol in combination with Live8... Does anyone have the MicroKontrol and can tell me the pros and cons compared to other controllers like APC40, LP and Maschine?
I'm just starting with Live and got the MicroKontrol, but I would be selling it if I can't use its full potential with live...
For example: is it possible to use the lcds without having to buy m4l and program them?

triss

Re: MicroKontrol vs. other midi-controllers

Post by triss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 pm

#1thelark wrote: For example: is it possible to use the lcds without having to buy m4l and program them?
i'm not sure you can even do this with m4l. Think it requires SysEx messages which aren't supported at all in live.

i personally haven't needed this feature as i tend only to use one page of it at a time.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:10 pm

How about Midiyoke? Can it send/convert normal midi-data to sysex?

triss

Post by triss » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Midi-ox could probably do it but not with a little work and research.

If you get anywhere with this could you let me know? I’d happily use someone else work if they can find the time to do it.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Nah... Maybe we could gather a bunch of MicroKontrol-users in here and then think about a solution. I can't program that... but maybe there's somebody who could analyse the data transfer from Reason to the MK and then we could think if it's worth the trouble trying to achieve our goal... Damn it... it was easier to get that Guitar Hero Drumset working as a midi controller than the MicroKontrol to work with ableton...

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:50 am

my 2cents, for what it's worth...

I use it in control surface mode, with the template that i altered, and then start assigning midi messages to the various pads and/or keys/sliders/rotaries for particular sets as i need them... which overrides control surface mode.. and that for me works pretty well.

the lack of visual feedback doesn't really bother me that much.

anyway... it's a bit of a shame ableton hasn't really implemented what they needed to to get the MK to talk both ways with live, but i guess they've got their own thing going on with APC/launchpad... and don't want to be bothered with an old bit of kit like the MK.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 am

#1thelark wrote:Nah... Maybe we could gather a bunch of MicroKontrol-users in here and then think about a solution. I can't program that... but maybe there's somebody who could analyse the data transfer from Reason to the MK and then we could think if it's worth the trouble trying to achieve our goal... Damn it... it was easier to get that Guitar Hero Drumset working as a midi controller than the MicroKontrol to work with ableton...
It is possible, but you need a separate program to switch the MicroKontrol into native mode due to the lack of support for SysEx... in live

I havent time to write one myself. so I use LcXmu which emulates mackie control which is pretty good. (mac only though)
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Can anyone of you MicroKontrol'lers upload a video showing your workflow w/ MK+Live8? That would be great... I was so excited about this unit and it works like a charm with Reason but I really don't see what I can expect from it if there's no way of using those lcds...

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:30 pm

*BumpingthisthreadinordertogetattentionfromotherMK+Live-users*

Maybe the MK+Live8-users could stick heads together to think about a solution...I could think of many useful applications for those lcds...I'm sure together we could work it out...

bambamfox

Post by bambamfox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

hi there,

well - I have some issues with my microkontrol and ableton too...

I won't start a new thread for my questions:

- first: I can control ableton with my pads of the microkontrol - but does ableton usually trigger my pads when communicating the other way? so for example I can switch on and off notes in a looped drumline? (like on these 1000button-controllers or the padkontrol)
- second: what is the korg "native mode" - I hardly find any informations about it - is it for any help with ableton?
- third: well I am not so happy with my korg and ableton combination. I'm thinking about buying the new apc20 + akai lpk25 as keyboard (should be nearly the same price) -> good idea?

hope you guys can give me a hint
:)

bambamfox

Post by bambamfox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

aaah no one here who can help?? dammit - should't have bought a microkontrol

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm also considering to switch... maybe to launchpad+sl remote 37.
It's a shame you can't use the displays properly with this controller. Reason is so much better in terms of supported controllers.

But maybe you should ask if the M4L-gurus have something up their sleeve...

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

The main problem is you cant send sysex from live so you cant put the controller in native mode.. which you need to get feedback..

You could use something to act as a bridge in order to do this, but I am not aware of any that are available..

I use mackie emulation with lcxmu which works well for my needs..

Its a shame it isnt supported better as it is a really nice bit of kit.
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron