Smooth song transitions in a live set (feat. AngstroLooper)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
attackmode

Smooth song transitions in a live set (feat. AngstroLooper)

Post by attackmode » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 am

I was looking for a way to smoothly switch between songs while playing a live set. One possible solution would obviously involve having both songs playing at the same time (requiring the double number of tracks and CPU utilization), the other would be to have some instant loop of what is currently being played and then start the next song and mix it with this loop.

I decided to go for the (later) economic solution, so here is how I made it working using the free AngstroLooper and two return tracks.

Return track F Mix is the sum of everything that is currently being played through the master. All tracks and return tracks (with the exception of G Loop) are configured to send there output to return track F.

Return track G Loop has the AngstroLooper on it and also receives the output from F.

F and G are the only inputs to the master and in this configuration I used the Live crossfader to fade between them.

The picture below shows the situation when a song is currently being played.
F is sending it's output to the master and G. The output from G is disabled but the AngstroLooper is constantly recording the input from F.
Please note that AngstroLooper is set to replace mode and therefor constantly replacing the currently recorded audio with the latest input from F.

(Note: the signal difference between F and master comes from a limiter on the master channel pushing the signal to 0 db).

Before we can start the transition to the next song we have to do 5 things:
1. Disable the audio from F to G.
2. Switch AngstroLooper from record to rehearse mode.
3. Switch AngstroLooper from replace to overdub mode.
4. Enable Track G.
5. Quickly move the the crossfader all the way to the right, so that only the signal from G is heard.

1-4. can easily be achieved with one midi-mapped toggle button.
5. Can be done with the crossfader or assign another button to the "right position crossfade" function.

Now that only the loop is audible we can start the next song.
The second picture shows an ongoing transition from the loop toward the next song (crossfader moved from right to left)

Once the transition is finished we can reactivate the loop recording with the toggle button.

Finally I also recommend putting some EQ and all kinds of effects after AngstroLooper to do inspiring transitions.
And you also might want to experiment with the various crossfader modes.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

teomor

Re: Smooth song transitions in a live set (feat. AngstroLooper)

Post by teomor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:14 pm

is this really the only way to do on-the-fly looping?
that's crazy..

attackmode

Post by attackmode » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

No, it's not.
And Live 8 has an integrated looper so it should be even easier now.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

teomor

Post by teomor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:38 am

oook:) do you mind telling me how?:) in live 7, not 8?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 am

If all your tracks output to the master, you could use "resampling" in another track.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

teomor

Post by teomor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 am

and i will be pausing the original track and playing the loop track?

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi all,

you could send all your tracks to one audio track ( lets call it bus A) with "audio to at bottom of track" Bus a becomes master vol to every track sent to it. When you select record on it, the tracks sent to it are audiable, and when you end record to it starts the playback, cutting out the other tracks, so you don't need to worry about them until you stopped the loop in "Bus A". The volume should be accurate, now just set up the next clips use the cross fader fade out into the next set up, maybe with a DJ trick like cutting the lows, and adding a delay, with cutiing up a filter. !! oh and be sure to have other tracks with an output to the master or you won't be able to fade in anything !!just a thought. something i use occasionally.

cheers

OM

tteo

Post by tteo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:50 pm

angstroloopwer dont work on MAC ?