Poll : Live 4 missed opportunity or masterpiece!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is Live 4 now the only product to get?

Absolutely... Live 4 ends all competition!
66%
Cubase is still better than Lve 4!
3%
Live 4 is not in the same class as Sonar!
No votes
Live 4 cannot compete with Logic Pro!
7%
Live 4 is almost there just needs a few more features!
14%
Tracktion is much better than Live 4!
No votes
What about Energy XT? That is cheaper and better!
No votes
Fl Studio . That is a better option for me.
No votes
Live 4 is now the ultimate rewire application!
10%
Live 4 is a dissapointment!
No votes

Total votes: 29

cmusicmaker

Poll : Live 4 missed opportunity or masterpiece!

Post by cmusicmaker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:27 am

Lets try and get an idea of the current views on this forum...is Live 4 the only package we need now? :)

I hope one of the voting options fits your view! 8)

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:53 am

Isn't it a bit early to answer such questions? I mean we don't know don't how far v.4 goes to meet user wishes. If sample and clips parameters are now reachable for external midi control Live 4 might answer up to most of my needs - but others may need different features...
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:56 am

go easy on him Per, these are frustrating waiting times - we're all frequenting this forum more that ever with the sheer irritation of having to wait for this

Pilgrim

Re: Poll : Live 4 missed opportunity or masterpiece!

Post by Pilgrim » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:39 pm

cmusicmaker wrote:Lets try and get an idea of the current views on this forum...is Live 4 the only package we need now? :)

I hope one of the voting options fits your view! 8)
C...
I must have live (4) on my computer and have had time to integrate it into my work (and play).

I suspect that it will be good but can only speculate, which I will do in private.

Thanks,

John the Pilgrim

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:24 pm

forge wrote:go easy on him Per, these are frustrating waiting times - we're all frequenting this forum more that ever with the sheer irritation of having to wait for this
oops - sorry, cmusicmaker! Didn't mean to sound harsh or anything (re-reading my post now). It's a time of heavy pressure for us all. Myself I'm just working my ass off these days because I know that when Live 4 beta comes around there will simply be no concentration for work (I do work from home and set my own schedule to meet clients demand... hopefully ) :lol:
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

cmusicmaker

Post by cmusicmaker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:00 pm

go easy on him Per, these are frustrating waiting times - we're all frequenting this forum more that ever with the sheer irritation of having to wait for this
I think the Live 4 beta is the most anticipated of all beta's ever! :D

C...
I must have live (4) on my computer and have had time to integrate it into my work (and play).

I suspect that it will be good but can only speculate, which I will do in private.

Thanks,

John the Pilgrim
Peace brother no sweat 8)... does that mean we miss your vote?

oops - sorry, cmusicmaker! Didn't mean to sound harsh or anything (re-reading my post now). It's a time of heavy pressure for us all. Myself I'm just working my ass off these days because I know that when Live 4 beta comes around there will simply be no concentration for work (I do work from home and set my own schedule to meet clients demand... hopefully )
No offense taken...do you run your own studio with Live?

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:59 pm

cmusicmaker wrote:No offense taken...do you run your own studio with Live?
Live + Logic = :lol:
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:15 pm

Tense times indeed. I can remember being almost this antsy waiting for Live 3. I also remember that Live 2 was a total shock, and thus I avoided all the strain of this beta waiting; it was a very nice suprise to stumble across though.

...Ah well...
...back to waiting...
I cant think of a sig

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:24 pm

Vercengetorex wrote:...Ah well...
...back to waiting...
...and waiting.... and waiting....

:wink:

ethios4

observation...

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:14 pm

i remember back in the day (3 weeks ago) when everyone was pissy that Ableton hadn't given us any word on the features of Live4..."Can't they at least tell us the new features?!?". The forum was in a quagmire of speculation & negativity. With the announcement came a wellspring of adulation & positivity. Now everyone's pissy again cuz we know what the features are, but have to wait a bit for the beta! Maybe they should have just not announced Live4 yet?!? ahh, human nature! it never fails to fail...i know i check my email 20 times a day now, waiting for that glorious newsletter from on high...
How can anyone possibly vote on this topic without having ever used Live4? I think the release of Live4 will usher in a new era of peace & understanding across the globe. The record companies will start recruiting real talent & paying artists top money, audiences will come to appreciate art on the deepest levels, free healthcare for all, no more fascist governments...wow! Live4's the greatest thing ever!!
this forum sure is amusing sometimes...

cmusicmaker

Post by cmusicmaker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:49 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
cmusicmaker wrote:No offense taken...do you run your own studio with Live?
Live + Logic = :lol:
From that response I'm guessing you voted for the ultimate rewire application option then? 8)

cmusicmaker

Post by cmusicmaker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:58 pm

How can anyone possibly vote on this topic without having ever used Live4?
Just sharing views leading up to the release :wink:
Tense times indeed. I can remember being almost this antsy waiting for Live 3. I also remember that Live 2 was a total shock, and thus I avoided all the strain of this beta waiting; it was a very nice suprise to stumble across though.

...Ah well...
...back to waiting...
I guess I was really taken by surprise with Live 3 as well. I bought the M Audio Firewire Audiophile and it came with a fully working version of Reason adapted 2.5 (the only limitation being non dulplication of modules and a 2 or 3 other modules missing). It also came with Live delta (Live 2.1 I think).

So I throw some loops in it to see what all the talk is about and I was amazed! The limitation was only ten tracks so I thought I really need Live 3 and rest is history.

ethios4

er...

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:14 pm

sorry about that...didn't mean to come across with negativity.

mokomo

Post by mokomo » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:01 am

What a ridiculous poll!

Live is good, no dispute there, but shouldn't want to be and shouldn't claim to be Cubase for example.

Even when Live 4 gets here, I would still be very surprised if any even half-serious producer would ditch his Cubase for Live. Live simply does not cover the same terrain as Cubase does in terms of functionality or depth of detail.

Live is a (live) loopers dream, L4 looks to be making a good thing even better. Rewired into Cubase it enhances workflow significantly.

Unless I am seriously deluding myself (like the enthusiasts on this forum are over Live :-p ), if we are talking in terms of professional DAWs -Cubase is a vastly superior... mixing & routing, vsti/vsti hosting & automation, multitrack recording, complex midi sequencing blah blah blah - read the enormous Cubase manual. In terms of studio tools, rather than live performance control, (i.e. for fine detail editing, manipulation and total control) Cubase is in a league of its own. Yes Live does touch upon some of these functions too; but not in the absolutely thorough and complete manner that a pro-DAW does.

Cubase is the de facto studio-standard professional application ... albeit it a bit of a workflow-dinosaur in some respects compared to Live (particularly if you are a hardcore live looper).

When it comes to arranging loops, effects and improvisation on the fly, Live is much more fun and instantly inspiring than Cubase (and so is ACID for that matter).
There is nothing I would criticise about Live - great to use, good buzz about the company, a brilliant sketchpad for pre-baked loops, highly controllable etc. (and it sounds good)

But it has a very long way to go if it wants to become a Cubase beater. And personally I think it would be wrong for Live to go in that direction.

Cubase is already the star on the pro-DAW stage, and Live has much more to offer in the self-made niche it now dominates than lumbering itself with all the fine detail that Cubase must provide for perfectionist producers running professional studios trying to engineer top-quality product.

Depending on my mood and how sick I am of a certain GUI or way of doing things, I work equally with Acid, Live, Cubase and Reaktor to get ideas together. All very different apps in their own ways depending on what the task at hand is. True, Live and Acid could be compared on some levels, as they are similar products - but Cubase and Reaktor are each in totally different categories and incomparable to the others.
Project5 and Reason have started to look interesting too.

mokomo

Post by mokomo » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:06 am

It seems that most users of Live 3 use it rewired to a sequencing host or using bidule etc.

So given all the functionality available in the applications people are already partnering Live 3 with - will Live 4 be worth the upgrade cost?

I mean ... can anything EXTRA be done if you upgrade, that you can't already do with your Live 3 rewired/vst'd/midiyoked/biduled etc to your other apps ...

(maybe the upgrade to Live 4 will only be worth it if Live 3 is the only piece of software you now own ...)