Nuendo Mixdown captures partial samples

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Canoodler

Nuendo Mixdown captures partial samples

Post by Canoodler » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:26 pm

Using Nuendo with Live 3.0.4 on Win2K with M-Audio UB Quattro. In "audio mixdown" (Nuendo) I only get the first half second of my loops. Everytime the loop comes around it gives me just the first piece and then drops out.

I have gotten some similiar problems with Live+CUbase but that happened in the actual playback which was solved by an upgrade to Nuendo.

Anyone else have a similiar problem? Just tested and this is also happening on my laptop with internal sound card.

The work around is to render the live set and import it into Nuendo. A bit cumbersome at best. I suspect this is a Rewire engine issue.

midilizard

Rewire drop outs in Cubase / Live

Post by midilizard » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:06 pm

I too am having drop outs through Live into Cubase/Rewire. I have 3 drives, a P4, RME card, etc. Good stuff - it's not really my PC. Reason works well.

Is this a bug?

Hermetrix

Partial rendering in mixdown

Post by Hermetrix » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:20 am

Hello, Abletons!

It seems I'm not the only one experiancing this problem of partial rendering (or dropouts) during mixdown in Rewire mode w/Cubase SX/Nuendo.

I did successfully mixdown a single drum track after allowing, enough lead-in -a few bars- but, with more than a few tracks say, 6 to 8, the loops are only partially rendered. The first-half, usually.
Now, I'm beginning to have actual playback problems from one project that sounds like the same problem in mixdown only, in playback.

The work around of closing everything down, then re-opening the project in Ableton, then rendering as a seperate file then, importing into SX, is what I've had to resort to but, if you are using any processing, effects, etc. in VST then, tough luck.

and this is in both 3.03 and 3.04.

I'm downloading the SX 2.2 update but as there has been no problem w/mixdown in SX/Reason/Rewire and I've gone through all the hardware settings and program preferences and so far, find nothing amiss...I think this an Ableton/Rewire issue.

It needs to looked into and addressed a.s.a.p ..Please!

Regards,
Hermetrix

Cubase SX 2.02
Live 3.04
RME Multiface
Dell Inspiron 8200 PIV 1.6 G
512 RAM
5200 RPM 40G

Hermetrix

Post by Hermetrix » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:14 am

Further info-

O.K. I've got the (now) problem project open...

Here the dropout problem is in both playback and mixdown.

I've got a back-up file of the project as well. Same results.

Only, about 12 tracks in SX and 7 in Ableton. (and those are just a few samples here and there, along the Timeline.) I've tried enabling using only master L and R channels in Rewire as well as, more channels with the same results.

I've tried higher buffer values w/ The Multiface. ( The max is 8192. 186ms. Same.

The hard disk overload indicator is lighting-up in Ableton. It hardley registers in Cubase. The cursor drags (as well, as audio playback) in Ableton while remaining steady in SX.

The disk is recently defraged. It's fairly fast (for a laptop. 5200 rpm) The samples are on the same disk. I've tried saving the set as "self-contained" No differance.

CPU usage in Cubase shows about 50%
But, Task Manager shows that the CPU goes to 100% when the diskoverlaod indicator lights in Ableton.

While starting the song from mid-point, Cubase goes, Ableton d-r--a-gs.. .

What, O What could the problem be? Please, Help!

Regards,
Hermetrix

Hermetrix

Post by Hermetrix » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:04 am

Follow up-

Today, I successfully mixed down a Cubase SX/Ableton 3.04 project that contained just 3 tracks within Ableton (and they had only scattered vocal samples every other 4 to 8 bars. Nothing extensive. No continious drm tacks, for example)

So, that is a good sign. However, the problem remains with partial rendering or dropouts with more tracks involved.

Hermetrix

Cubase SX 2.02.
Ableton Live 3.04
Win XP
Dell Inspiron 8200 1.6G
RME Multiface

DCools

Post by DCools » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:18 am

Hello,

Same problem here. I'm using nuendo 2.0 and Live 3.0.2.

On Januari 6 2004 it was also on topic here. No answer then. :(

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Regards,
Diederick F.M. Cools

nadlabak

Post by nadlabak » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:05 am

Search the forum...
There are two workarounds:

1. Set all samples in Live to RAM mode (if the amount of your RAM allows that and you are using Live version 3)
2. Enable "Real-Time" option in Nuendo/Cubase audiomixdown dialog

as posted here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7159

Workaround 2. is 100% reliable, 1. worked for me always too, but there where reports of remaining dropouts from some other users.

hermetrix

Post by hermetrix » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:53 am

Nadlabak-

Thanks for the further info-

This behaviour seems to occur with more complex projects (since a smaller project with just a few tracks presented no problems in mixdown or playback)

With 6, 8 or more tracks in Live -+16 or more in SX/Nuendo (with larger audio files rather than say VSTi tracks) The problem manifests.

It seems that the two applications (via rewire) are competing for disk I/O

I've been working from my laptop, mostly. It is a 1.6G PIV with a 5200rpm drive.

Has anyone working from a desktop system with faster drives (or buss) noticed any difference or improvement, in performance?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:58 am

Hi nadlabak,

You're right. We hope to fix or offer a better workaround in a future version of Live.
I just posted something related here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7068

regards,
Alex

Well, any progress yet?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:17 am

why is this in the tips and tricks section, it's getting to be too chaotic on this forum with the trolls and the registered users not even using the right section, why don't you post this in the general section?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:19 am

fuck i'm so stupid, and drunk....forgive me all. 8O
I'm obviously the one in the wrong section

jardim do mar

Post by jardim do mar » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:00 pm

what solves the issue for me is I export -audio mixdown then in the audio mixdown window I check import to audio track,,,,,,,,,,