Test Results Sound Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UknowWho

Post by UknowWho » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:36 am

My big problem with all these "audio tech" threads popping up in here is quite simple.
You can get too hung up on sample accuracy ,latency ,phase coherency ,24/48 vs 24/96 vs 16/44.1 vs 16/48 vs Analog/Vinyl/Cd etc etc.
People seem so hung up on the technical audiophile aspects of the end product that they forget the most improtant aspect ,the music itself.
How many so called brilliantly engineered and mastered tracks these days just make you yawn due to a lack of compositional spark,edge ,creativity or passion.
I can listen to alot of early 808state hell S-express ,BabyFord ,80's hip-hop and electro ,Aux88 ,Carter,May ,A Guy Called Gerald ,Eno ,70's Fripp ,Zappa,Bowie,YMO ,Reich,Cage etc etc and get totally blown away.
Surely the idea and execution of the musical concept is more important than the apparent brilliance of the audio fidelity.
Sure I don't like really bad mixing or poor audio quality.
That said talent is talent and will always shine through irrespective of all the above mentioned tech arguements.
It's like somehow since Live 4.0 has been announced Live 3.0 just isn't good enough anymore - talk about a Placebo effect.
I've heard enough great Live 3 tracks in this forum to know it doesn't hinder the quality of the output or the level of creativity that people using it show.
Quite frankly I've got better things to worry about.
Obviously alot of the warping artifact moans come from people who never used samplers without timestretching or didnt have to live with the artifacts of early Akai S950 ,S1000 samplers and a lot of the limitations early sequencers and hardware solutions offered the end user.
I'm still amazed that Live ,Reason & Audition can actually replace a wall full of music equipment myself.
All I can say is reality check everyone.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:31 am

I have compositional spark and passion but my music lacks sound.
For the sound-based music, passaion doesn't seem to reveal without
engineering skill.

I wonder if I enjoy music (melody/harmony, regular rhythm) or sound.
the more I know about music, I don't seem to enjoy composition as much as I used to.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:29 am

By earlier centuries people not only enjoyed listening to music - there was also a great entertainmant value associated with simply READING THE SCORE! ;-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com