Live7.0.2b5 can't open any more.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Martyn

Live7.0.2b5 can't open any more.

Post by Martyn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:59 pm

This was also happening to me in b4, i thought it was related to opening Live7.0.1 but this time around I didn't do that.

I've been using it without a hitch and tonite go to open it and it just puts up a dialog box saying "the folder H:\H:\\ was not found" and then Live closes.

I'm going to re-install and see if i can find a pattern.

P42.8 XPproSP2, ASUS p4c800mobo 2gigs ram, Nvidia gpu, terratec ewx soundcard.

kleine

Post by kleine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Hello,

I guess it will help to delete the Preferences.cfg file from

Windows (Live 4 and later versions):
C:/Documents and Settings/your username/Application Data/Ableton/Live/Preferences

Windows Vista: c:/users/username/appdata/roaming/ableton/live/preferences/

Note that on some Windows systems the application data folder is hidden by default. Here is what you have to do to make it visible:
Windows XP/2000
1. Launch Explorer.
2. Select Tools/Folder Options/View.
3. Check "Show hidden files and folders."

Best,
Christian Kleine
support@ableton.com

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi, yes i did that on beta4 and found it less hassle to uninstall the whole thing, and reinstall rather than go through and re do all of my folder settings. Just pure laziness really. I'm up and running again now so if it does it again i'll send the logs. I wasn't expecting it this time.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 pm

I just rescanned my plugins folder and had the same thing happen, this time I managed to take a bug reporting snapshot which I've just emailed.

This time I'm just going to trash my preferences file to see if creating a new one from scratch behaves any differently.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 pm

Just trashed the preferences and plugins files and on rescan get the same thing happen, this time I also ended up with 32 new text files in my preferences folder starting with "MidiJitterAudioBufferTimeDeltaLog.txt" then "MidiJitterAudioBufferTimeLog.txt", "MidiJitterInputLog.txt", and then "MidiJitterNsDeltaLogPort1.txt" all the way to "MidiJitterSmplDeltaLogPort12.txt" ending with "MidiJitterOutputLog.txt" after which it went through the 12 ports again finally ending with "MidiJitterTimeLog.txt".

It seems that only a complete re-install gets me running again with this beta, it was the same for beta4.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi Martyn,

it seems that a certain file or directory within shortcircuit2\database\samples\
leads to an error that is not properly handled by Live.

The next beta should have a better handling here, at least for your particular case.

Regards,
/Alex

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi alex

Ah, that makes sense! I'm not sure that Shortcircuit2 actually works properly anyway, in any case, it's no longer being developed so I'm just going to remove it. I've never managed to get shortcircuit2 to locate any audio properly using it's browser anyway, so maybe the bug is being created by an error inside SC2. Live 7.0.1 didn't have a problem with the same folder of plugins so there must be a change there somewhere, I guess Live is reading Shortcircuit 2's internal browser and assuming there should be another H: drive or something.

Cheers

m

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:08 pm

<unnecessary>
The funny thing is that Alex is probably sat about 10 feet away from the developer of Shortcircuit ... as Claes now works at Ableton :)
</unnecessary>

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 pm

The funny thing is that Alex is probably sat about 10 feet away from the developer of Shortcircuit ... as Claes now works at Ableton Smile
Never heard of him :)
I don't think that this is a common problem with Shortcircuit. There must be something special. Let's see if the next beta handle it better.

Regards,
/Alex

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:18 am

Hi Alex

I hadn't noticed that there was a new beta up before I sent my last email.

Shortcircuit2 has a link to my audio drive in it's shortcuts folder and I think this was the problem. The latest beta still throws up the same dialog box but continues along it's plugin scan now and than opens without a problem.

Fixed 8)

Cheers

m