Eno Quote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rasputin

Some thoughts about generative/programmable music systems

Post by rasputin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 pm

impete wrote:Just out of interest, did any of you try Koan X? OK, I know, it was obscure and a long time ago ... :roll:

Pete
Sort of obscure but not totally--the Eno connection brought some attention to it.

I spent a lot of years on and off with Koan Pro. I think I paid something like $250 for the license and that was in '99 (of course I was single then...) At the time I had a Mac and the Koan port was a little too clunky to use enjoyably. I wanted to do everything "inside the box" and using the MIDI-only features of Koan required me to use external synths. The built in synth ("SKME") had some cool features but was definitely unique and an acquired taste, both to program and listen to.

Noatikl is interesting, especially with the Lua connection which will hopefully open it up to people interested in creating their own programs... I did enjoy playing with it for its 30 day demo period, but the licensing cost, while relatively reasonable, is going to keep me away from it for a while.

Not to try to subvert Intermorphic's business model, but I have really found a lot of interesting aspects to the ChucK system (http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu). It is a different beast from noatikl, but being free makes up for a myriad of limitations...
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

impete

Post by impete » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi Rasputin!

Many thanks for your kind comments!

Pricing of software is a very thorny issue... and totally off-thread-topic ... :) ... and it is impossible to get it "right" for all people. :) I just hope we got the noatikl price right for most... I like the model used by Reaper, which is pretty similar to the one we use (basically, you pay more if you use it for commercial use...).

Pete

impete

Post by impete » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi Folks,

First public screen shots of Mixtikl in action, hot off the press!

http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... shots.html

The Noatikl generative engine is embedded in here, amongst other things. Mixtikl is the next evolution of miniMIXA, like Noaitkl is the next evolution of Koan.

I wonder what Brian Eno would make of all this. :)

Pete

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:40 pm

impete wrote:I wonder what Brian Eno would make of all this. :)
HE WOULD PROBABLY HIT A LOW C ON HIS DX7 THEN DRINK SOME TEA

impete

Post by impete » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Does his DX7 still work? :)

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:24 pm

he'd probably ask ritchie hawtin to ask his computer to hit a low c on his dx-7

impete

Post by impete » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:29 am

Dear all,

As of a few minutes ago, Mixtikl V1 has been released!

http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixtikl/index.html

Mixtikl contains an embedded Noatikl engine!

Do try out some of the Noatikl generative music items in the Tiklpak Cinematic 120d, which is one of two Tiklpaks that comes embedded with Mixtikl. The generative music items show up as red in the content list. They make for amazing backing sounds! :)

Pete

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:12 pm

This thread is like your adopted home here :D

I still haven't had a chance to properly play with Noatikl - looking forward to it though. So is Mixtikl available on iPhone? Gimme!

impete

Post by impete » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, I sort of like this thread - it has been really interesting. :)

Mixtikl on iPhone - good question. Here is what I can tell you...
- we have actually already ported it to the iPhone emulator, and it runs fine with some restrictions that are imposed by the SDK
- we can't release unless we're first able to clear-up some issues in the SDK license, which we've been waiting for a response on from Apple

The iPhone is a nice platform, but not without its issues. :) In case you're interested, the really fundamental problems are:
- the near impossibility of sharing data between applications, and/or your Mac or Desktop machine
- various impositions in the SDK license, which greatly restrict what you're actually able to do/offer in your application

These aren't issues on Windows Mobile or Symbian, which is why we've launched first for Windows Mobile (and Mac/Win desktop!) and Symbian will be next.

I really hope we're able to launch for iPhone at some point, but the ball is in Apple's court right now...

With best wishes,

Pete