which will be your "studio" now..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

which will be your "studio" now..

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:10 pm

i wanted to know how the people that are just using a pc for making music will now work..
in Monolake site , he saids somewhere he probably could do everything just whit Live and Max\Msp, but he likes to have machines..., something like this..
will you use just Live, ..im planing to run Live and reason everytime i turn on the pc..., and i think will be just this, every other single aplication could be now obsolete, and i always wanted to be this simple, as im especting that will be...
i wanted to understant max\msp, but i´ve tried 2 times, and whit no results, so i think i will do as i said .., Live (whit great vst) and Reason. Can u tell me how your are planing to work now.
thanks.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:35 pm

Live 4..No Reason ...yukk
Live and VSTI's all you need..Why would I even think of Reason anymore..
I have no respect for them anymore..They thought they were too good for VSTi and midi out support.
Thankyou Ableton for working with us.and listening.
Abelton = the present & future of sound sequencing.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:45 pm

i always like reason, not as much as many people like, like if they are too too good and the only thing, but somehow i always enjoy it , and to be fair i don´t think i will like to see the option load vsti inside reason, and now i really hope they concentrate on other stuff, cus now is not need it...

UknowWho

Post by UknowWho » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:59 pm

I'm ditching Reason and getting a new DAW built next month.
XP - 17" Toshi P20 3.2ghz H/T w/ 1 gig ram yada yada
ESI - QuataFire - Firewire audio interface
Radium controller 2 octave + UC33e
Ableton Live 4.0
Native Instruments Kompact 2
- nuff said really I'm drooling at the bit already :D.................

smutek

Re: which will be your "studio" now..

Post by smutek » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:i wanted to understant max\msp, but i´ve tried 2 times, and whit no results,
2 times? I don't think you are trying hard enough. Don't give up so easily.

I will definately keep reason, but I don't really use it that much now. Live is my main tool and will always be. Eventually I'd like to get into reaktor.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:29 pm

On the software side, Reaktor and Live.

I'm still picking up hardware though - and acoustic instruments. How can I afford to buy clothes when I haven't even got a decent piano?!

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:22 pm

I'g going to keep a balance of hardware and software, but deffinetly pick up more software with Live 4 and hopefully a new powerbook in a few months time. Live 4, spectrasonics, PSP, Kontakt, Lounge Lizard, Arturia Plugs, Imposcar - this combination sounds sick! But I'm still going to use my MPC 1000, my S6000, my V-synth, at least until then. I think its fun, and I think that combining the sounds of intruments from different DAC's, different algorithms, effects, etc, help create a fuller better sound.

I'm interested to see how the groove in Live compares to the MPC.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:58 pm

Hey Steve, how you liking that MPC1k? Could you do entire tunes on just that box if you had a stack of samples? How much sample mangling can you do on it?

My laptop decided to take a two week all-expenses paid vacation to Apple's repair shop (who can blame it? been working 24/7 flawlessly for nigh on a year!), so I've been doing tunes (well, tune, haven't had much time!) on just a Korg Electribe S thing, and that kind of limitation coupled with a very immediate interface has me seriously considering getting a bunch of groove boxes... I really like that way of working. I can't decide whether one should go for one of the Yamahas or the MPC? And which MPC? I just want something that'll take a bit of a banging, if you see what I mean.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:25 pm

The MPC 1k is very cool, because of it's 1) tight seequencing 2) 3 built in effects and 3) punchy sound. Drums sounds awesome in the unit, but not as crunchy as MPC 60 sounds. I do use the unit hooked up to my synths and samplers and sequence from there. You can create patterns really easily on the MPC 1k and i highly recommend it if you also use a computer setup. I use a v-synth for my time stretching and other features missing from the MPC1k , and with an S6000 I bought dirt cheap, I have massive polyphony, allowing me to use Live 3 primarily as an audio sequencing environment, without the warp engine. Sequencing witht the MPC groove is very cool. Timing is tight, and creation is fun and spontaneous. It's got a great punchy sound and beats thump. With Live 4, however, I'll be able to sequence parameters on both the S6000, the V-synth, and my MicroModular because of its Midi sequencing and routing features. I'm really excited about the chord and scale midi effects. Because of the announced routing Midi System of live 4, I'll be able to trigger chords with the MPC!!! Hopefully with the Mac optimizations, I'll also be able to finally take advantage of Live a bit more, although if not I've decided to go back to OS 9.

I'me defintely keeping the MPC 1k, and together with live, the combo seems unbeatable. In fact Live 4 plus ANYTHING seems unbeatable to me, because if the new MIDI routing and parameter modulation capablilites. BTW, I HIGHLY suggest that if you need sounds and are looking for a sampler, check out a used S6000. You can probably find one for just a couple hunder dollars, maxed out. With ak.sys software and the USB card, it's like having a hardware VSTi. I drag and drop samples to the sampler, arrange programs and multis and configure routings through the computer. I just keep the detatchable screen near the Powerbook. Even without Live, MPC1k plus S6000 is an awesome sampling workstation, and it sounds incredible - punchy and clear. But with Live 4, it seams as it will breath new life into my hardware. Right now, I throw my tracks into Live for mastering and some tweaking with PSP plugins. Sculpt the sound using clip envelopes, and some dub effects techniques Pitch Black shared with us a while back. Akai sound is great for the music that I do, and Live helps make that sound more unique - more of MY sound.

All that being said, IF the mac optimizations are good enough, so that I can run 20 audio tracks with tons of effects along with VSTi's like CS-80V, Kontakt, Lounge Lizard, MiniMoog V, on a 15" powerbook, then I'd probably ditch the S6000. But we all have to wait and see...I keep forgetting that its going to be released at the end of July!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:32 pm

I think we think alike mate :) I sold my S2000 cos the interface was crap and I didn't use MIDI anymore, so it wasn't turned on for like, a few months - now maybe I wish I hadn't. I think I'll be looking at Emus though, even if that huge fuck off screen on the Akai is tempting ;)

But a member of the MPC series is on the shopping list. I think I'd really like that approach to sequencing.

-Paws

myo

Post by myo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:25 am

live 3 (and soon 4)

pure-data

pluggo

smartelectronics VST

digital fishphones VST

haven't used much else in a while, besides digging up my old kawai k5000s and yamaha DX7 every so often. although recently I've been thinking of getting a sherman filterbank or 2. and maybe some nice TLaudio compressors. = ]

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:19 am

noisetonepause wrote:I think we think alike mate :) I sold my S2000 cos the interface was crap and I didn't use MIDI anymore, so it wasn't turned on for like, a few months - now maybe I wish I hadn't. I think I'll be looking at Emus though, even if that huge fuck off screen on the Akai is tempting ;)

But a member of the MPC series is on the shopping list. I think I'd really like that approach to sequencing.

-Paws
Hear you on the EMU!!! FOr the prices there going for nowadays, I just might pick one up too!!

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:59 am

Reason, Live, and Pro Tools. Nothing changes at the moment from 3 -> 4 for me.

Reason - Music composition

Live - Performances and DJ sets; Pre-production of vocals and loops in the studio

Pro Tools - Mixing in the studio and vocal recording

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:25 pm

i have a nice mix between hard & soft

software :
live 3 ( 4 as soon as possible)
waldorf attack
sonar 2.2 xl - for sale in july...
reason demo - glad i didn´t bought it

hardware :
roland fantom-s my musical notepad, even more important than live
roland rd 170 epiano - still trying to learn piano ;-)
waldorf q
waldorf xt

i hope that live 4 will finally stop my software odyssee

yoda

Post by yoda » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:20 pm

i have dumped all my hardware gears since i use a computer but i still use all the mastering tools like compressors,enhancers,effects.