Sends effect on 2 channels output

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
I/O

Sends effect on 2 channels output

Post by I/O » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:07 pm

hi
this is my fisrt post, i find Ableton a fairly easy program to use never had a doubt before:
I am using 2 channels for DJing, i route these 2 channels to 2 ext.out channels, independently, so i can use an external analog mixer to mix them together and monitoring without the latency lag.
I can t really find out a solution to use send channels.
How would you route the send channels in this setup?
I obviously need that if i send the signal to send A, then send A will send back the signal to the same channel!
Any udea?
thanks in advance

Simone aka I/O

tiedyetrogdor

Post by tiedyetrogdor » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm glad you're picking up Live fast! A lot of us had to suffer for months to get the hang of things!

As for your setup, I don't see...why you would do it that way. What are you actually using Live for? Sampling? If you're running audio into Live from a turntable, you're already fighting latency.

My recommendation: Get a good Firewire (or USB if you must) soundcard and a MIDI controller. With a proper soundcard you'll cut down on latency and you can run multiple ins and outs. With a MIDI controller you can control mixing and all the other fun stuff in Live.

I/O

Post by I/O » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 am

hi
i use a korg MK, an emagic 6/2 usb soundcard, together with 2 phono preampd, turntables and MsPinky timecoded vinyls all routed in an analog mixer in the following way:
turntables-preamp-soundcard
soundcard(2 separate outputs)-analog mixer-output
monitoring directly form the analog mixer avoids the cueing being out of synch with the master (they will be both with the same latency)
since i route from within ableton to ext.out and not using the master channel, i have no clear idea how to set up the sends
thanks
simone

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Interesting set up. If I get you right, the problem is you don't have a spare soundcard output or mixer channel free to use as a dedicated FX channel. Is that right?

Using the same send for both channels will always mix the two signals together. I don't think there's a way round that.

You could always just use insert effects on each channel or use separate return tracks for each deck. This would also allow you to use different effect settings on each deck.

Have you looked into using racks to swap between different effects (or combinations of effects)? This is quite easy to do with the chain select parrameter.

You could also look at Dummy clips (separte tracks which the dry channel is routed to) where different clips are used to change effect settings and a lot more besides.

Just some thoughts.

I/O

Post by I/O » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 pm

ok andy you got the point
i am in ableton 5 so no racks
it would be enough if i was able to have the return channel sent back to the channnel from where i send it
i mean if i send from track1 to return channelA then it will be sent back to the output of track1 while if i send from track2 to return channelA then it should be sent back to the output of track2
???
by a new mixer and sound card?
Simone

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:35 pm

For track-specific effects, use Insert effects... not sends.
Like andydes said. Thats what insert effects are for.

If you are running into the trouble of having effects with no wet/dry setting, then simply copy audio track 1 to a new track... audio track 1a. Put the effects on track 1a. Now use the volume meter of track 1a as your "wet level". Route its output to the same output as track 1.

Do the same for track 2.

I/O

Post by I/O » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:50 pm

hi laird
thanks for getting involved
yes i thought of this before but using send effects has a big advantage: less plugins less cpu resources
let s take the typical example: a dealy line in an return channel: i can send all the track i wan to that channel avoiding using the same instance of plugin many times
using my fairly small laptop (powerbook 12 1.33 1 Gig) for live djing, every single cpu cycle is sacred and the usual chicken waving voodoo dance sometime is not enough to spare my sets from clicks dropouts and even more weird things :)
am i getting too picky? sorry!
also i spin with a pal with the same setup but sampling real vinyls sound which he spins, that is even more cpu requiring.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:20 pm

With Live 6 & 7, unused (Live) effects take up no CPU resources.
So you can easily load up two Live Delays, and if you are only using one at a time, this is about the same as one Live Delay on a send.

I don't know about Live 5.

But if you are using more than two tracks I can see where this wouldn't be ideal.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Simone.

So out of power and out of outputs? Unfortunately a single return track will mix the signals from the sends.

About the only thing other I could suggest is setting up two empty audio tracks with audio in on both set to the return track, and outputting to the two sound card outputs. Then you should be able to mute / unmute these to tracks to select which channel plays the effected signal.

It's a bit of a crap work around, but all I can think of with the set up you have. And unfortunately I think extra routing equals more cpu load as well.

I/O

Post by I/O » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:31 pm

it the most coherent solution to date, thanks
thanks to everybody of course!!

laird: ableton 5 also claimed to let "sleep" unused fx and channels but it doesn t look that to me. anybody can confirm that?