I just made a vocoder using only ableton components!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nogi

Post by Nogi » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 am

Been having a lot of fun with this thing. Here's a couple tips:

If you assign a global macro to the threshold of each compressor you can use it as a wet/dry to blend in the synth source with the vocal.

Also, I cut the number of bands down to 9 (still covering the same freq range) and copied a second instance of EQ3 to each band. About the same CPU hit but really tracks a faster vocal well for that classic, monotone Cylon sound.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:14 pm

forge wrote:
musicmachine wrote:
forge wrote:inspired crazy voodoo genius madness

the really stunning thing is it illustrated to me just what a bastard Vista is - I'm getting something like 20-30% lower CPU readings under XP (SP3) 8O
Is service pack 3 available?I read about it but it's not officially released yet is it?Can't find it on the site anyway.Wouldn't mind trying it if it's an improvement over SP2 :)
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Thanks.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:53 pm

funny. i was just reading up about vocoders after having (or rather, re-reading) a discussion on another forum about filters and eqing, and here you are angstrom, making my day.

KU

Post by KU » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:58 am

tres cool

thanks

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:09 pm

you know. it really does have a very very warm sound.
i tried to modify it a bit to add some tweakage to it without destroying it completely but i failed. i did get some very kewl filtering and hwatnots though. pretty far from a vocoder though.

any plans for modifications if i dare ask?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 pm

well, I'm a bit busy with work right now and as I am feeling pretty poor I need to concentrate on raking some cash in.

If I find a bit of spare time I will tinker with it then, I have some ideas for it.

bharrower

LIVE 6

Post by bharrower » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:30 pm

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A WAY OF DOING THIS WITH LIVE 6!!!!!

PLEEEEEEASE!!!!

B.

forge

Re: LIVE 6

Post by forge » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 am

bharrower wrote:PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A WAY OF DOING THIS WITH LIVE 6!!!!!

PLEEEEEEASE!!!!

B.

sorry, no routing options

burns

Post by burns » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
I can't understand how you did this, but it's really coooOOoool !
Thx!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:06 pm

if you read up on vocoders im sure youll get a better idea of how this works.
although i have to say that building it in a rack is damn impressive.
too bad the cpu is so high for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder
wikipedia for example, has some info on vocoders.

noise

Post by noise » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:08 pm

thanks so much, Angstrom! this is 1000% genius.

eMmZee

Re: I just made a vocoder using only ableton components!

Post by eMmZee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 am

Angstrom wrote: Of course it absolutely munches CPU, because of the amount of filters it uses. On my dualcore 2.6 it takes 40% CPU, which is frankly stupid.
But it was more of an experiment than an idea I could make a low CPU effect.
Absolutely great and inspiring idea!
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Q: What Buffer Size you've set in the audio prefs?
I was used to have set 125 samples which is an absolutely useless value when running this rack.
Even 512 samples is close to glitches.
Driver Error Compentsation is set to 5.00ms

Running on a MBP 17" 2.6GHz via internal speakers.

Thanks a lot! Michael.
My first DAW software: Live 3 on a PowerBook 15" w/ MacOS X 10.3. Switched straight from Fostex R-8 & Steinberg Cubase/Atari back then. :P

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm

that's strange - I would expect you to run it OK, I am not at my music computer right now, but I am pretty sure that it is set to 125 samples.

Is your CPU meter reading very high up when using this pack?, IE >80
Are you running your soundcard at 88.2khz ?, that would take you over the edge. I tend to run mine at 44.1 .

Other than that I'm not sure what is happening there. I would think that your configuration (computer, processor, buffer) is a quite common one and I think that most people with that config have managed to get it running. Hmmm. *scratches head*

sorry, I'm a bit baffled there.

eMmZee

Post by eMmZee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi, thx for replying!
Angstrom wrote:that's strange - I would expect you to run it OK, I am not at my music computer right now, but I am pretty sure that it is set to 125 samples.

Is your CPU meter reading very high up when using this pack?, IE >80
Are you running your soundcard at 88.2khz ?, that would take you over the edge. I tend to run mine at 44.1 .
The CPU-Meter was well above 90% and stil is around 70% when increasing the Audio Buffer size. I don't know your system but at least the CPU speed is similar.
Your Rack is huge and till now the CPUs in my notebook just were rather bored (less than 30%) with my projects (mostly using samples and clips, doing the final mix and mastering in Logic).
In this case I ran the sample rate at 44.1 since I used the internal audio.
I have the MOTU Traveler, I'll cross check with this.
Other than that I'm not sure what is happening there. I would think that your configuration (computer, processor, buffer) is a quite common one and I think that most people with that config have managed to get it running. Hmmm. *scratches head*

sorry, I'm a bit baffled there.
No worries!
It took me some time to realise that it's a global setting and not a prarameter in this Rack.
(doing a render of the tracks helped to find that out)
When not being in the studio I use headphones and the internal soundsystem of this MacBook Pro. I never had a problem so far - I think I should address this to Ableton after some more checks I'll do this evening.
Stay tuned, thanks a lot - Michael.
My first DAW software: Live 3 on a PowerBook 15" w/ MacOS X 10.3. Switched straight from Fostex R-8 & Steinberg Cubase/Atari back then. :P

eMmZee

Post by eMmZee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:08 am

H again,
Angstrom wrote: Is your CPU meter reading very high up when using this pack?, IE >80
I just checked with the MOTU Traveler, its better, much better but its still "grainy" with 125 samples. Doubling the buffer up to 250 or so samples lets play it smooth.
Following Live's tuning procedure (test tone) 70-80 samples should work as well - which is not true in this case.
What I don't get is that the first test with my own project (which is bigger than the demo) using your rack went ok (what it didn't with the internal speakers, so I was happy) and then the demo distorted again.
Back to my project this wasn't clean either then.

Strange.

Michael.