Macbook Pro Santa Rosa Performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am

Yes that's true.....No option in OSX. Coolbook allows you to manually set CPU frequency and Voltage combinations together with the amount of throttling that is applied. You can also set a temperature limit.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am

Are you sure that this option is not just hidden in the energy-managment settings? In Windows it is! That means that Windows will turn off dynamic clocking when you select a Desktop type of power-scheme (like Always On) and turns it on when you select a Notebook type of power-scheme (like Maximum Battery Life, or Minimum Energy Consumption).

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 am

so have we figured out if this is a chipset problem and osx problem or an ableton live problem?

and what are we going to do about it?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 am

adventurepants_ wrote:is it seriously true that you cant turn speedstep on and off via OSX? This is a BIOS option on most pc's, or can be sorted by turning all power saving off. Is the Coolbook software doing anything else than just turning speedstep off, and if so, cant it be done otherwise in OSX?
yes you can't turn it off... coolbook basically loads its own speedstep driver so you can throttle the cpu however you want it.

So now OSX is as fast as Bootcamped XP on a Mac ;)

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:55 pm

Emissary wrote:so have we figured out if this is a chipset problem and osx problem or an ableton live problem?

well logic is working fine and so is reason 4 so i believe ableton needs to step up here......

thumperjack

Post by thumperjack » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Emissary wrote:so have we figured out if this is a chipset problem and osx problem or an ableton live problem?

THROW 'ER INTO THE POND
aburgener wrote:don't include me in your stupid fucking bitchfest because i made two posts about kebabs.
MBP-UB 17" 3.06 C2D, 4 gig RAM, Live 7.0.10, MOTU ultralite
guitarrig/ezdrummer/sd2.0/automat/battery/reaktor/massive/absynth

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:15 pm

timothyallan wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:is it seriously true that you cant turn speedstep on and off via OSX? This is a BIOS option on most pc's, or can be sorted by turning all power saving off. Is the Coolbook software doing anything else than just turning speedstep off, and if so, cant it be done otherwise in OSX?
yes you can't turn it off... coolbook basically loads its own speedstep driver so you can throttle the cpu however you want it.

So now OSX is as fast as Bootcamped XP on a Mac ;)
so XP on bootcamp is faster?? Does this apply for everything or just Ableton??

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:36 pm

thumperjack wrote:
Nightrider wrote:what are the disadvantages of running coolbook?
i read that if you have it running when your going on battery power it sucks the battery dry really fast just sitting at idle...i think it only said on santa rosa chips though. all you got to do is deactivate it and reboot for when ur gonna be using battery juice.
This from Magnus, the guy behind Coolbook:

"The nvidia GPU in the MBP SR uses different power modes. When the Apple driver is turned off, the GPU doesn't change modes correctly.
On battery, when almost completely idle, the consumption can go up from around 950 mA to 1150 mA, reducing the theoretical battery time from 6h to about 4h.
If you do actual work where the CPU is involved, the impact is less obvious, especially when undervolting.

Just uncheck "CoolBook active" and reboot, if you want to run your mac as long as possible on battery (with low CPU-load)."
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

corneliusw

Post by corneliusw » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm only noticing the problem with Ableton Live. Logic seems to speedstep properly, according to coolbook. I bought coolbook and I'm blown away. How was I working with Live before? My live sets now sit comfortably below 30% and run smoothly, where as before they were hovering above 50% and peaking at 80% with glitches!

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:24 pm

I had 2.33 MBP that was destroyed. The insurance co replaced it with a 2.4 MBP SR early last month (right before the latest speed bump). I was really excited for the "upgrade," now I'm a little worried.

I've had some mysterious scrapes with Live on the new MBP, so this thread caught my eye.

Does anyone from Ableton have any info to provide? Even if there's not an immediate solution, some news would help.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm

Is there a way to tell what processor is in my MBP under about this mac?

Thanks

pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 pm

continuous wrote:Is there a way to tell what processor is in my MBP under about this mac?

Thanks
About this Mac.
Macbook Pro (core2duo), iMac (santa rosa), OSX 10.5, X-Station, G-Drive, MPC 1000 (JJ OS 4.95).

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:32 am

I don't see it listed anywhere in the various areas under about this mac.

Anybody?

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:41 am

continuous wrote:Is there a way to tell what processor is in my MBP under about this mac?

Thanks
Seems pretty obvious.

MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:47 am

na... I'm trying to find out if it's "Santa Rosa" or not.

thanks