CAn you use an instruments'multi outs in a drum rack?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

CAn you use an instruments'multi outs in a drum rack?

Post by morerecords » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:22 am

Hi
I am having trouble using a multi channel Nephetom in a drum rack, I can't route the individual outs to ind outs in Live's mixer.
Can this be done using a drum rack?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by morerecords on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm

bump

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:40 pm

External Instrument devices?

I'm not familiar with your nephetom thingy

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:38 pm

It's an 808 emulator, with 18 mono outputs

it's software. MY question extends to all VSTs with multi outs though. Can they be integrated in to the drum rack, or is it only for single channel instruments?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:19 pm

have you tried external instrument? works great for software too, don't be fooled by the name

put 18 ext instrument plugs on the drum rack chains, and see if you can get the vst to route into them

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:23 am

great idea no dice though. I think maybe you cannot utilize the multi outs from within a drum rack. Mybe in a n update...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:56 am

can you get the vst to show up in an ext instrument plug, when it's not in a drum rack?

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:35 am

I haven't been able to do this either. I'd love for any MIDI track or AUDIO track with multi outs to have the outs appear in a foldout drum rack style interface......

it kind a breaks the paradigm a little, but....

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:41 am

i haven't had luck with the nepheton

craw

Post by craw » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:46 am

cant do it from a drum rack ... pity that.

But, you can do it from a normal MIDI track containing your multi out VST. Send the multiple outs from your VST to different audio tracks, and then you can place different effects and such on each audio track, and use dummy clips for the automation.

The only limitation here is that Ableton only gives you 12 outs (I think!). I also use Nepheton (& drumazon), and I cannot use the entire 18 outs simultaneously. I have to select which instrument uses which channel on the VST itself ... but then again, I can't really complain as I never use 18 drum sounds simultaneously!!

Lets hope that Ableton find a way to implement multiple out VST's in the future using racks ... cause the inline mixer, and simplicity of the setup is just great in version 7. Manually setting up the individual audio tracks is a pain in the arse :-)
craw

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:20 am

Look here for how it's done with Battery, should work the same with your software:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:46 pm

craw wrote:cant do it from a drum rack ... pity that.

But, you can do it from a normal MIDI track containing your multi out VST. Send the multiple outs from your VST to different audio tracks, and then you can place different effects and such on each audio track, and use dummy clips for the automation.

The only limitation here is that Ableton only gives you 12 outs (I think!). I also use Nepheton (& drumazon), and I cannot use the entire 18 outs simultaneously. I have to select which instrument uses which channel on the VST itself ... but then again, I can't really complain as I never use 18 drum sounds simultaneously!!

Lets hope that Ableton find a way to implement multiple out VST's in the future using racks ... cause the inline mixer, and simplicity of the setup is just great in version 7. Manually setting up the individual audio tracks is a pain in the arse :-)
to avoid the manual setup, i have two template live sets, one w/ nepheton and the other w/ drumazon -- each live set has one track for the drum machine and up to 12 tracks for the individual drums.

the cool thing is that I can drag this entire template into any live-set and it brings the routing with it! 8O

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:06 am

Got it set up within a drumrack using Kontakt and Micro Tonic.
Hopefully will work with other multi out instruments.

Full size pic here

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:53 am

Nice picture and exactly the way I set it up with Battery. Be aware though that only the first 15 output channels seem to be selectable in Live. Battery offers upto 30 mono channels plus 1 pair of stereo channels but you can only select upto 15 mono channels in addition to the stereo pair. First I thought this to be a Battery bug, but now i think it's a limitation of Live (no answer from support yet).