UK Customer - Why no GBP price and why 19% VAT?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nolus

UK Customer - Why no GBP price and why 19% VAT?

Post by nolus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:51 pm

I just went most of the way through the checkout process, but I would like some questions answered before I make a purchase.

I'm in the UK so why is the price in Euros? I'm not in the euro zone and I like the dollar price better! Where would I have to live to get the Dollar price?

The final price shows included VAT at 17.5% for the boxed upgrade and 19% VAT for the instruments. There is no 19% rate in the UK as far as I know.

Will the upgrade version be available in the UK shops?

Why is it £75 cheaper to buy the basic boxed version from Dolphon Music than from Ableton?
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

mkelly

Re: UK Customer - Why no GBP price and why 19% VAT?

Post by mkelly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:59 pm

nolus wrote:I'm in the UK so why is the price in Euros? I'm not in the euro zone and I like the dollar price better! Where would I have to live to get the Dollar price?
Got to agree with this. My credit card company charges a percentage fee for currency conversions - and I'm sure I'm not in the minority on that one - so with no GBP price I end up paying probably 2-3% extra. So it's more than a little annoying to have to pay in Euros as well, when I'd save the credit card conversion fee and more if I could pay in dollars.

I could have tried putting my delivery address as my employers' US office (it was for download after all) but I suspect they bill you based on the credit card address anyway.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:14 pm

By online purchase the VAT % is of the sellers country=Germany=19%. If you are professional musician you can get EU tax ID- takes about one day in Germany, have to order online and they send the ID number by post. Then you can buy in EU countries without VAT charged, some do not follow it- Belgium for example so I dont buy there, since you cannot get refund of VAT paid in other country if you don't have EU ID then better buy in country of residence if you want tax refund.
All that prices difference has nothing to do with company-Ableton but everything with the rules and regulations of EU taxation.

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks for the VAT info, unfortunately I'm not a professional and I have to pay the VAT. But at least I've learned something.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"