Monitor broke off Powerbook - Warranty?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Monitor broke off Powerbook - Warranty?

Post by Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 10:33 am

I had the infamous clam shell break on my PB. Now Apple are charging me accordingly.

The Apple One-year limited warranty is over, but doesn't a general two-year warranty apply in the EU? Does anyone here know about these legal matters?

It says 1 year in my Apple documents, but is that legal practic?

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 11, 2004 2:01 pm

1 Year only (should have gotten Apple Care)

Too bad.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Post by Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 2:02 pm

yeah, it is highly reccomended to anyone purchasing a laptop to get no-fault coverage for three years. Especially if you gig with it.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Tue May 11, 2004 2:07 pm

normaly the warranty has to be written on your invoice,or on the pourchasing contract terms you should see that the 1 year warranty is included in the original price( if you didn't sign a contract it should be stated on the invoice).
for electrical or hifi goods you can get an extended warranty but it has to be written on a separate line on your invoice & has to mention the cost of it even if it's free.

i am not a lawyer but i used to deal with hundreds of invoices a day,so it's just by experience not 100%

Post by Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 2:22 pm

for laptops, yeah the warranty is one year unless you purchase additional coverage, which in my mind is more akin to insurance than an extended warranty. i.e. i can spill a beer on my laptop or drop it down a staircase and still get it fixed free--no fault, whereas with an extended warrant I'd be shitoutttaluck.

ryan

tjwett not logged in

Post by tjwett not logged in » Tue May 11, 2004 3:24 pm

only problem is AppleCare is NOT insurance. it would not cover your broken screen. unless of course it somehow broke itself in the middle of the night. AppleCare only covers factory defective parts. it does not cover any wear and tear whatsoever. that's why it sucks. if you want true insurance on a laptop you should look at something like this:

http://www.safeware.com

i repeat, AppleCare is NOT insurance and does not cover damage, only factory defects. fuck AppleCare.

Post by Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 3:27 pm

yeah, that is total bullshit. I bought my toshiba and shelled out close to $300 for the three-year no-fault plan. Most pcs makers seem to offer this for $250-300, you can also get it after the fact from you home insurance company (State Farm) for a similar price and no-fault protection, but you'll have a deductible

Ryan

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue May 11, 2004 3:48 pm

Thanks to everybody (I was the original poster) -

Well does anyone know what's the deal with the general European 24-month warranty that applies to all products purchased in Europe? Does this not cover electronic equipment? I'm a bit confused because it's supposedly the law, after all, and not even Apple can circumvent it.

Does anyone from Europe know more about this??

Cheers,
Roland

PS Originally, they wanted to charge me 1,200 Euros for the broken monitor!!! Spoke to Customer Relations though...;-)

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 11, 2004 5:07 pm

tjwett not logged in wrote:only problem is AppleCare is NOT insurance. it would not cover your broken screen. unless of course it somehow broke itself in the middle of the night. AppleCare only covers factory defective parts. it does not cover any wear and tear whatsoever. that's why it sucks. if you want true insurance on a laptop you should look at something like this:

http://www.safeware.com

i repeat, AppleCare is NOT insurance and does not cover damage, only factory defects. fuck AppleCare.
I never had anything but good luck with my Applecare. I got a new Logic board and power board for my old iBook. NO PROBLEMS.

Of course dropping your rig or spilling something on it won't be covered, but if you are so careless to beat up your rig that way, you should at least be smart enough to insure it too...

and Applecare on a computer REALLY increases its resale value (by about 130%)
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Fri May 14, 2004 6:40 am

does anyone know is you have to buy applecare at the same time as when you buy your powerbook? or can you buy it at a later date... and if so how long do you have?
~m
http://dustbreeding.com
http://www.unrecnow.com

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri May 14, 2004 7:11 am

You can buy it at a later date (within your original one year warranty time).
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri May 14, 2004 7:36 am

kabuki wrote: I never had anything but good luck with my Applecare. I got a new Logic board and power board for my old iBook. NO PROBLEMS.

Of course dropping your rig or spilling something on it won't be covered, but if you are so careless to beat up your rig that way, you should at least be smart enough to insure it too...

and Applecare on a computer REALLY increases its resale value (by about 130%)
yeah, i was speaking more of the user-inflicted damage. it's cool that they give you the option to get that extra 2 years of coverage but it's still very pricey, especially for laptops. i know many PC retailers include a 3 year warranty as part of the purchase at no extra. 1 year goes by damn fast. i've got 5 days left on my 1 year warranty for my PB. i'm thinking of getting it just so i can sell the damn thing. no one will touch it out of warranty.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri May 14, 2004 9:53 am

gotta get applecare. apple's been issuing some shifty hardware recently; ibook combo drives, logic boards, ipod mini jacks, ipod batteries, etc., so chances are, you'll get burned if you don't get it. plus after ninety days, a phonecall to tech support is fifty bucks without it. take a look at the teired out of warranty repair prices and you'll be convinced. some repairs cost as much as a refurb unit. applecare is basically apple's way of saying, "it's your choice; we can screw you now a little bit, or screw you later bigtime, no lube."

so if you like lube, get applecare.

k

dstole

Buying Applecare after purchase of computer

Post by dstole » Sat May 22, 2004 7:35 am

I was told recently here in japan that you can buy applecare after you buy your computer, but it will only cover you from the original purchase date of the computer. Don't know how it is in other places in the world, but that's what I was told here. You can also use Applecare anywhere in the world, so that is handy if you travel, or happen to be on a multinational tour :D

I have used my Applecare to resolve acouple of issues already, and have been generally very happy with it. You can also register a claim and send the computer back at a later time (when you have a holiday or something)...

I highly recommend AppleCare, but a buddy just bought an Ibook G4 without it against my advice...time will tell.

kay101011

Post by kay101011 » Sun May 23, 2004 5:32 pm

i'm not sure but the 2-year-warranty in the eu is a dealers-warranty ... not the one of the manufacturer. so you have to call your mac-dealer!
(a broken monitor is covered by apple-care a friend of throws down his 2-month old ibook and apple replaced the monitor ... but its surely no warranty-issue)
system information:

Powerbook G4 667MHz DVI 512MB RAM
MOTU 828 mkII
OS X 10.4.1
BCR2000