L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 pm

sweet! did you sample it? ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm

No unfortunately.....my first reaction was to dive towards the output knob on my interface. Unbeknownst to me, that did nothing at all. As more frequencies were burned away from my hearing I thought "Gee, perhaps the sound is coming from my Mac." More frequencies burning I fuddled around the mouse and eventually went down the line and disarmed each track one-by-one.

At this point deaf, I figured out "Oh I see, let me mute track 2", and thus banshee be gone.

I'm not doing something right here....I'm stomping and starting to play and stomping off again. Sometimes the pattern plays, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does after 20-30 seconds. I tried 4 bars in the follow box of track 1, tried the global quantize, and stuck my face in the manual. I'm missing one little thing I'm sure.

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Where is pepezabala's original post on this thing, perhaps the info is there?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 pm

leonardrock wrote:Where is pepezabala's original post on this thing, perhaps the info is there?
https://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2c84bea617

I'll check it out again tonight, in about 8 hours.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Audioslut

Post by Audioslut » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Okay. I'm with you on this one, leonardrock. Thanks, Tone Deft for finding pepezabala's orig. post. I got it to work, somewhat using his screenshot. I'm new to Live and a stupid guitarist, I know :roll:

Only prob is, I have figured the stomp/record/stomp/play part, but my loops are never going to be exactly in sync this way and often (and I don't think my timing is terrible) they are terribly off!

Anyway, I still have yet to see how the round-robin effect will control the loop length and start playback without a second stomp, but I'll keep trying. I think I'm pretty closeish.

Audioslut

Post by Audioslut » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm

BTW, Tone Deft, are you talking about "follow actions" when you refer to "follow mode?" All I could find in the Live manual was the "follow switch", "follow actions" and "follow command" (same as "follow switch") There's nothing in the manual (unless I missed it) for "follow mode."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Audioslut wrote:BTW, Tone Deft, are you talking about "follow actions" when you refer to "follow mode?" All I could find in the Live manual was the "follow switch", "follow actions" and "follow command" (same as "follow switch") There's nothing in the manual (unless I missed it) for "follow mode."
it's all the same stuff.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:55 pm

Excellent, I am exactly in Audioslut's situation down to the letter. Confused with the Follow Actions (although I will be reading again), I've got some things working although not ideal, and I'm also a stupid guitarist.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 pm

leonardrock wrote:Excellent, I am exactly in Audioslut's situation down to the letter. Confused with the Follow Actions (although I will be reading again), I've got some things working although not ideal, and I'm also a stupid guitarist.
hey, better a stupid guitarist than a gurned out electronic wannabe musician. ;)

about 5 hours until I'll dig this out.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 am

starting with the download all over again.

- a core part of this is in the options-preferences-midi menu

- do 1 of two things
-- PC - install midi yoke, Mac rtfm IAC
-- connect a midi cable from an out to an input

- either case go into options-preferences-midi and enable TRACK OUT for the output port, REMOTE IN for the input port. this way Live can send commands to itself, out the TRACK OUT port, back in on the REMOTE
IN port.

- enable midi learn. delete the midi assignment to the clip that says "Assign controller to me."

- with that clip still selected, hit your pedal to assign to it. the pedal's port should have REMOTE IN enabled.

- turn off midi learn

as I hit the stomp pedal Live goes from track to track recording 1 measure loops.

re: follow mode - it's all about the clip "assign controller to me"
clip view - under "Follow Action" if that's set to 1 0 0 then you auto-record for 1 measure, if it's set to 2 0 0 then you auto-record for 2 measures.

the global quantize at the top of the Live GUI sets when you can START looping. the follow mode setting in the "assign controller to me" sets for how long you record.

the choices setting in the Random plug in sets how many tracks you want to record with. 1 note is used for scene down, and each note gets sent twice (one for on, one for off, I skipped explaining this part). Choices of 24 gets you 11 tracks, 22 gets you 10 tracks, 20 gets you 9 tracks, 18 gets you 8 tracks, etc.

hth, kinda beat tonight.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:33 am

you can also leave the follow mode and launch the launcher-clip only by stomping your pedal. Just assign your pedal to the first clip ("Assign to me"). Then your second stomp on the pedal will define the loop length.

Stomp the pedal once - a clip in loop 1 starts recording.
Stomp the pedal again - this clip will start playing at the next measure defined by global quantize (I set it to 1 bar, should be most convenient for most purposes).
Stomp the pedal a third time, loop 2 starts recording ... etc.

Until you reach to the last loop to the right. The next two times you stomp the pedal live will jump two scenes downwards. This is due to the "mechanics" of this workaround for looping. The next stomp will start recording a new clip in loop1, two scenes below the first one.

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Tone Deft and Pepezabala......sweet. Thank you for the further explanations. I kinda stumbled on this stuff last night after a few hours of trial and error but the details of the "assign" clip follow settings is the missing piece. Plus the Random plug settings regarding track count. Although it was a bit frustrating, there was certainly some fun involved.

The last question, to steal an earlier post, is can this thing be reset to Loop 1 if you make mistakes? Last night I simply went through and deleted clips but it would still fire from the next scheduled slot (which I suppose it is well designed to do).

If so, can you explain? If not, and if your not entirely fed up by now, that would certainly be a worthwhile tweak that would make this set legendary.

Many thanks to you both for your time, programming, and patience!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:28 pm

it's cool, I'd hate to think I put something out there that was total crap.

the clips will keep firing in order, the only thing you can do to screw it up is to trigger it too fast, then the commands get boggled up.

I believe that if you just hit ctrl-z for undo it'll undo the last take.

the way it works is based around the clip launch buttons, they only appear when midi learn is on just above the routing settings for each track. those launch the clip in the selected scene. notes as midi assigned to those clip launch boxes. then the random plug in sends those notes out of Live and back in, one at a time when you trigger that clip you assigned your controller to. that's most of how it works.

hth

if you want to really see how it works, make a midi track, set its input to track 1, set monitor to IN and record the notes that track 1 sends. then hit midi learn and check out what notes are assigned where.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Audioslut

Post by Audioslut » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 am

leonardrock wrote:Many thanks to you both for your time, programming, and patience!
Yeah, thanks a million! I had just gotten it before I read the last few posts of this thread. This method seems like a pretty decent workaround until Ableton implements real "real-time looping."

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:39 am

This looper-set is really fun, but it is a workaround and has some downsides:

For example you can't just drop this looper-set into an exisitng set and use it, because all the midi assignments won't get imported.

Also, as mentioned above by leonardrock, if you screw up at a certain point and want to start over again, there is no easy way to reset it to start again the first loopchannel. The "undo"-command works, but this might involve hitting ctrl-z lots of times.

And it is using lots of space on the screen!! I really would prefer to have a looper plugin in one channel. Ideally this plugin should be controllable with one pedal - in theory you are able to trigger three different commands with one pedal: short press, long press, double-press.

I have been playing with "sooper looper" a little, but in order to use this plugin you will need more pedals again.

I would love to see ableton to implement a looper-plugin, controllable with one pedal. It should have multiple audio-outs (so you are able to route each layer individually into a single channel and record it into an audio clip), offer all the little gimmicks of a looper (fading out of layers, reverse layers, etc.) and be light on cpu. This would underline the "live tool"-approach of ableton-"LIVE" again a little bit more.