L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 am

Tone Deft wrote:install midi yoke, it shows up in the midi settings, very straightforward. do you have the L7 beta? download the set, you'll see, very simple.
Cant use it, it crashes on my soundcard.. But we'll have a release soon, dont you think?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:53 am

ze2be wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:install midi yoke, it shows up in the midi settings, very straightforward. do you have the L7 beta? download the set, you'll see, very simple.
Cant use it, it crashes on my soundcard.. But we'll have a release soon, dont you think?
wow, never heard of it crashing a sound card. are you sure you didn't create a midi loop? that's when data goes out on port, then back into Live, then back out again, etc so it's like feedback in a microphone or guitar, the signal gluts the signal chain and the system locks up. daniel grieff I think has the same problem.

if you can't run midi yoke, just connect a midi cable from the in to the out on your soundcard, it's the same thing but midi yoke and IAC have 16 ports while your soundcard probably has 1. send the track 1 out that port, enable TRACK OUT and REMOTE IN, track out sends out midi notes on that cable, remote in takes in remote control data from that midi cable.

daniel_grieff - read my post above, check the settings in Live options-preferences-midi only enable the IAC ports that you need, nothing more. what you're describing sounds exactly like a midi loop as I described above.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:
ze2be wrote:
wow, never heard of it crashing a sound card. are you sure you didn't create a midi loop? that's when data goes out on port, then back into Live, then back out again, etc so it's like feedback in a microphone or guitar, the signal gluts the signal chain and the system locks up. daniel grieff I think has the same problem.
No, I mean the L7 beta is crashing! But it might be a midi loop problem aswell.. The soundcard is a virus Ti. Im not able to try it out right now, but it may very well be the case.. Also theres a new beta since last time I tried.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:37 am

daniel_grieff wrote:Hey ppl, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light over this matter for me.
Im using the IAC and when any command is sent over it Live goes into a spaz for an extended period of time. We're talking about 20 seconds or something, during which I cant do anything inside the program, usually accompanied by the spinning beachball of death....
I dont think its hardware related, im using pretty good stuff: Latest Beta, 10.4 osx, 2gig ram etc...
Any help greatly appreciated!

Dan
How are your settings in the midi preferences? You should enable IAC track out and IAC remote in.

Don't just enable everything, you might create an ugly loop where a midi clip is triggering it'self and doesn't stop to do so.

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Thanks guys, turns out I had remote and track in enabled on both the IAC out and in. This has solved the problem!

You heroes of the intarweb!

Dan

KU

Post by KU » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:45 am

woo hoo

what fun!!

Audioslut

Re: L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Post by Audioslut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Live 7 only.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3be5dlp6gyz
hope the download works, feel free to host.

following on pepezabala's post earlier but I changed it up a bit. up to 11 tracks and an infinite number of scenes. REALLY simple.

turn follow mode off on the clip in the upper left to stomp once for record on, play a bit, stomp again to go into play mode.

when follow mode is on for that clip, stomp once, Live records for a set amount of time then goes right into play mode for that clip. the follow mode length should be at least the length of the global quantise.

set the output of track 1 to midi yoke/IAC, enable TRACK OUT and REMOTE IN for that port. track 1 sends out control for the set. using new L7 feature, there are text notes in a few of the clips and track titles.

options-preferences-record/warp/launch turn SELECT ON LAUNCH to OFF or it won't be able to change scenes.
So I'm trying this setup with some of my own modifications. I can get Live to loop guitar on one of my loop tracks (using an FCB 1010), but I have no idea how to "turn on follow mode." Or why there is a controller assignment to that first clip. I have "assign controller to me" clip assigned to my pedal board "bank 1, pedal 1 (CC 101), but I thought this was "one pedal looping." I think there is something obvious that I'm not getting. What I would eventually like to do is also have a midi track with a drum rack on it (or an audio track with rendered drum clips) that set the loop length. I then loop my guitar while these are playing and don't need to stomp again to set the loop length. Anyone have any suggestions?

Audioslut

Post by Audioslut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 pm

BTW, thanks for everyone's posts on this subject so far.

Tone Deft

Re: L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Audioslut wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Live 7 only.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3be5dlp6gyz
hope the download works, feel free to host.

following on pepezabala's post earlier but I changed it up a bit. up to 11 tracks and an infinite number of scenes. REALLY simple.

turn follow mode off on the clip in the upper left to stomp once for record on, play a bit, stomp again to go into play mode.

when follow mode is on for that clip, stomp once, Live records for a set amount of time then goes right into play mode for that clip. the follow mode length should be at least the length of the global quantise.

set the output of track 1 to midi yoke/IAC, enable TRACK OUT and REMOTE IN for that port. track 1 sends out control for the set. using new L7 feature, there are text notes in a few of the clips and track titles.

options-preferences-record/warp/launch turn SELECT ON LAUNCH to OFF or it won't be able to change scenes.
So I'm trying this setup with some of my own modifications. I can get Live to loop guitar on one of my loop tracks (using an FCB 1010), but I have no idea how to "turn on follow mode." Or why there is a controller assignment to that first clip. I have "assign controller to me" clip assigned to my pedal board "bank 1, pedal 1 (CC 101), but I thought this was "one pedal looping." I think there is something obvious that I'm not getting. What I would eventually like to do is also have a midi track with a drum rack on it (or an audio track with rendered drum clips) that set the loop length. I then loop my guitar while these are playing and don't need to stomp again to set the loop length. Anyone have any suggestions?
umm I'm still at work, Pacific Time Zone, so I can't spell it out for you for a few hours. all the info is there. for Follow Mode, check the manual. re-read the info, many other people got it to work, no problem.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Invalid Quickkey on the download link :?

Now I may have to actually read for comprehension.. :lol:

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:22 am

Pardon me for being stupid, but will this work for Mac via midistroke or control aid?

Also what is IAC? :oops:

Audioslut

Post by Audioslut » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 am

IAC stands for inter-application communication and is a virtual midi port that is standard on all macs. Just make sure it is enabled in your Audio/Midi preferences. With the IAC, I guess, you shouldn't need anything else.

To Tone Deft:

Thanks for the reply, man! I guess I should RTFM on "Follow Mode." :oops: I work in the evening (Pacific Time) so I won't be able to try again 'till tomorrow or late tonight. Yes, it sounds like it has worked for others. I look forward to having it work for me, too. Although, I agree with all the posts asking for an "Ableton looping device." It would be nice to do multiple overdubs, boss loop pedal style in one track. Maybe make this a part of the requested feature of multiple comp recording so that you could get at all of your overdubs for editing . . .

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 am

Audioslut, Thanks for the tip!

ToneDeft, thanks for the post!

Can't wait to try this.....

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 am

leonardrock wrote:Audioslut, Thanks for the tip!

ToneDeft, thanks for the post!

Can't wait to try this.....
shout out to PepeZebola for starting this, he picked up on the round robin trick, I tweaked it, he tweaked it again. Or was it hoffman2k who started the round robin thing? anyway, I just picked up with a PepeZebola creation, international collaboration.

audioslut - hope it goes well for you.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm

HOLY CRAP......be careful!

I had my Mac disconnected from my interface last night and was working in Live with the internal soundcard. Just got to work here and plugged everything back up to try out this set.

Loaded Tone Deft's set but forgot to go into the prefs to reset the audio settings to my interface. A screaming banshee of feedback erupted from my MBP speakers!

Shite! I'm awake now...... 8O