i'm uninspired...a long dull whiny post.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gaspode

Heh...

Post by gaspode » Wed May 05, 2004 1:31 pm

Yeah, we're all freakin amazing :P

aural roberts

Post by aural roberts » Wed May 05, 2004 5:05 pm

My advice for this sort of situation is to do a remix competition. The first thing about these is that there is a definite deadline and this is a good cure for procrastination (to which I myself am highly prone). The second thing is that the samples they give you may suggest ideas that may never have otherwise occured to you. When it's done you can strip out the supplied samples and you may find you have the basis for an original track of your own.

And ahem.., while we're on the subject, I've just posted an entry to a remix contest on Acid Planet. The original was a beat-poet style rap over a light jazz backing and I've taken a few snippets of the vocals and done a DJ Shadow type thing with it (at least that's what it reminds me of). I'm rather pleased with it so here's the link if anyone would like to take a listen :-

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=378843&T=1591

Of course, it was all done with Live.

Oh dear, I expect it looks like I only posted for reasons of base self-promotion :oops: but the advice is genuinely offered. I think deadlines are the solution to a lot of the problems self-doubt can bring, and external ones work better than self-imposed ones cos you can't keep changing them.

Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2004 8:57 pm

mosca wrote:i have been uninspired for a while now

i can totally sympathise with your plight

i bought the korg legacy collection last week though and now i am inspired

so the answer is, get yourself in debt to cure the inspiration blues

mosca
I disagree --- you can't cure it with buying equipment.

Layla Nahar

Re: i'm uninspired...a long dull whiny post.

Post by Layla Nahar » Thu May 06, 2004 1:41 am

montrealbreaks wrote:
dirtystudios wrote:

I moved to Yellowknife NWT Canada
Whoa - dude - take off! that's way too way far up in the Great North.

gaspode

:P

Post by gaspode » Thu May 06, 2004 12:53 pm

It's a beauty way to go!

pharmakonMtl

Re: :P

Post by pharmakonMtl » Thu May 06, 2004 1:15 pm

gaspode wrote:It's a beauty way to go!
LOL! :D

Feeling uninspired? Go listen to some Frank Zappa.. He'll remind you what music is capable of :)

Cheers,
~Rhapknoam

montrealbreaks

Re: i'm uninspired...a long dull whiny post.

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu May 06, 2004 3:01 pm

Layla Nahar wrote:
montrealbreaks wrote:

I moved to Yellowknife NWT Canada
Whoa - dude - take off! that's way too way far up in the Great North.
Hey man, nothing gets creativity sparked like temperatures around -47 without factoring the wind. When you're stuck at home because it's too damn cold to even go to the movie theatre, which was just down the street, it's great for artistic endeavours in front of a computer.

That, and I don't watch TV. I Gave it up 7 years ago. It's an evil box, send it to hell I say! (mind you, the internet is just as bad... I should probably cut this monkey off my back too!)

L8er
Montrealbreaks

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

gaspode

:P

Post by gaspode » Thu May 06, 2004 3:22 pm

I was up in Montreal last year for the comedy festival... my sister lives over in Burlington and she thought it would be fun to see drunken comedians in Canada, go figure.

Anywho... while I was up there I heard mention that there is a *huge* underground tunnel/business district because it is so cold up there in the winter that nobody can go outside. That has got to be wild.

Still, the best part of the entire trip was listening to my mom try and pronounce the street names (I had four years of french many moons ago, so at least have an idea how they should be pronounced), and then trying to translate what in the world she had just said into what the signs actually said.

Plus, I was hanging out in a park with my father, a gentleman came up to us and asked in french "Where is the nearest Payphone" and my father replied "I'm doing fine"... I wish I had a video camera for that!

Post by Guest » Thu May 06, 2004 3:38 pm

i was being sarcastic 8O

mosca

sorry, couldn't be bothered to log in

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:34 am

bump

RiotNrrd

Post by RiotNrrd » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:23 am

Take a break.

Really, that's what'll do it.

I mean, don't write any music until you WANT to write it. Maybe your break will be a week or two. Maybe it'll be a year or two. Maybe ten years will go by before you want to do it again. You will know when the break is over, and however long it takes is however long it takes. You will know when the break is over because you'll sit down and the music will start to flow again.

Until then - do other things. Listen to music instead of writing it. Go to the zoo. Take up painting. Whatever. And don't freakin' worry about it. You aren't "supposed" to be writing music, and every day you don't write any isn't a day lost. One of these days the muse will hit you again (it almost always does), and then you'll be back in the groove until the next dry spell.

If something isn't fun, do something that is.

pez

Post by pez » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:50 am

maybe a shroom will inspire you :P

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:33 am

RiotNrrd wrote:Take a break.

Really, that's what'll do it.

I mean, don't write any music until you WANT to write it. Maybe your break will be a week or two. Maybe it'll be a year or two. Maybe ten years will go by before you want to do it again. You will know when the break is over, and however long it takes is however long it takes. You will know when the break is over because you'll sit down and the music will start to flow again.

Until then - do other things. Listen to music instead of writing it. Go to the zoo. Take up painting. Whatever. And don't freakin' worry about it. You aren't "supposed" to be writing music, and every day you don't write any isn't a day lost. One of these days the muse will hit you again (it almost always does), and then you'll be back in the groove until the next dry spell.

If something isn't fun, do something that is.

it's true - sometimes I'll just sit there waiting to create something and it just doesn't come, and I've been noticing lately that if I've been out and about just getting on with life and forgetting about it, when you come back to it you have fresh input.

I think the conflict comes because we're trying to actually balance living in the capitalist world where we need to earn enough money to do what we want to do in this life including buying expensive music gear, and then still trying to be creative which is kind of diametrically opposed to the kind of brain power needed to be business like and make money.

forge

Re: i just couldn't resist

Post by forge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:35 am

spiderprod wrote:i used to have the same problem,one day my boss came to me before a session & asked me how i was,i told him not that good nothing good wants to come out.
he told me that for this kind of problem i just needed a good wank and a big glass of water,i did it & it worked.now everytime something goes wrong with my music i have a wank & a big glass of water.
try it,it's free & it works
AHHHH YES! This is THE thread - spiderpod you're famous now fella you have been quoted so many times, and not just round here!!!!

excellent. :lol:

Squigglefunk UK

Post by Squigglefunk UK » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Well, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed perusing through all of these sob stories and collective commiseration. Really made me take stock of how fortunate I am with my fully enriched lifestyle and wealth. I've never seen so many whiney-ass loser art-fags and homos in all my days. Shhheeesh. Lemme guess.......you stubbed your toe once at the age of 8 and your mommy didn't kiss it!...everything was downhill from there. Geeezzzz....HIV, depression, suicide, loneliness.....what a bunch of wankers and tossers. Here's a thought...get off your pastey white asses, turn of the computer and stop posting on forums, and stop feeling sorry for yourselfs....maybe actually get a real job. No, wait....that might actually require some physical excertion...sorry...bad idea. :lol:

You know...Darwin's theory on survival of the fittest has never had more relevance than with the lot of you downtrodden creeps. MEN of my calibre will handle spreading seed and making all of the cash while you morons lament your station in life over a pretentious cappuccino, followed by a little pipe sucking session or two. :twisted:

Oh...one other thing...you're probably not cut out for the music business. That's right...I said business....one where there's really no money anymore...at least for those that whip out these endless McTunes made in myriad home-studios that litter the landscape. Besides....everyone wants music for free these days. Feeling better now? Mwahahhahhaha!! :)