One-shot glitches while recording

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
pharmakonMtl

One-shot glitches while recording

Post by pharmakonMtl » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:07 pm

OS X 10.3.3
G4 400 upgraded to GigaDesigns 1.4GHz
1GB RAM
Live 3.0.4
Motu 896 -Latest drivers (pretty sure, anyway. MOTU is down as of this message)
Lacie Firewire HDD
Latency set to 98 samples (2ms in, out)

Up until about a month ago (we were still using Live 3.0) every was smoooooth sailing. Then all of a sudden, we start getting The Big Glitch. This rare specimen of the digital world found its way into our jam, and ended up being recorded and rendered as well.

The Glitch goes something like this:

No matter what we are doing (sometimes there is someone working the software, sometimes we are just recording into a single microphone on a new set), at some point in a long jam session (generally at least 30 minute recording at 24/44.1) The Glitch will spontaneously announce his presence-- we get a peaked digital distortion, the click loses it's rhythm, and it's all fine in about one half of a second.

I have never witnessed anything strnage in terms of CPU meter activity or anything like that, although i'm usually facing away from the monitor when we play.

This glitch started on version 3. We decided, after the third time it showed up, to upgrade to 3.0.4 and except for the first jam session, the upgrade didn't rid us of The Glitch.

Anyone else experience a similar situation?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~pharmatazoa

Ghost

Digtal Glitch

Post by Ghost » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:23 pm

10.3.3 on an Ibook,700MB, 900Mhz Mbox, exactly the same problem.
It gets worse if I switch on an effect on a channel that has Reason running on it. Switch it off and it'll play for quite a while, then a hiccup.
Latest drivers for all: Pro tools, live, reason, mbox, Os x.
Not something I would want to happen in a live gig.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:31 pm

i was about to post my own message, but this seems to be exactly what i'm getting. Different rig though - Live 3.0.4, Reason 2.5, Titanium PB 15" 1 G running OS 10.3.3. useless for live work at present. Every once in a while (10 minutes of playing) there is much static and the sound drops out for about a second, rhythm gets lost, then everything goes back to normal. not a happy sound.

Post by Guest » Mon May 03, 2004 6:25 pm

just a guess, but I think this is the known cut-outs for 4-5 seconds in mac problem--I bumped the thread for y'all. not sure if there is a solution other than getting a pc (ha, ha)--I can vouch that there are no rendering problems on my pc, no matter how big the file, number of tracks, or number of hungry plug-ins.

Ryan

pharmakonMtl

Post by pharmakonMtl » Tue May 04, 2004 1:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:just a guess, but I think this is the known cut-outs for 4-5 seconds in mac problem--I bumped the thread for y'all. not sure if there is a solution other than getting a pc (ha, ha)--I can vouch that there are no rendering problems on my pc, no matter how big the file, number of tracks, or number of hungry plug-ins.

Ryan
Maybe you're trying to help with the PC thing, i don't know, but suggesting that i buy another computer isn't that great of a plan unless that plan comes with a blank check too. ;) Please don't bring up switching to PC when I have a problem with my Mac. Or are you just trying to get a rise out of another Mac user? Either way, it is a distraction, a controversial topic, and worse.. way off-topic. You're not trying to troll the support section of this site are you? I didn't think so. Good. Leave the crusading for the religious fanatics.

Thanks for that bump. I did read it actually, but only after i had posted this :rolleyes:. I haven't experienced that 4-5 second audio thing, only the Glitch mentioned above and towards the end of the other thread.

I guess I just have to wait for Ableton to make fixxy.

Post by Guest » Tue May 04, 2004 2:48 pm

ha ha means its a joke, take it easy there partner. I bumped the thread and took time to repsond--obviously I'm trying to help. Sorry for helping you and making a little joke, I'll never do it again. I think it was fair to point out that this doesn't happen on pc's in my last post, as it's all too often that mac users slag pcs for sucking or not being stable or whatever..., and there are people that read these forums trying to decide what os to use--just trying to put some facts out there. With your glitch and the huge 4-5 dropout thread, I certainly feel safer performing on a pc!

Ryan

pharmakonMtl

Post by pharmakonMtl » Tue May 04, 2004 4:39 pm

OK

sniffio

exactly the same problem here !!

Post by sniffio » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:38 pm

Random Audio Dropouts is happening with many of the users.
No it doesn't have something to do with the buffer size nor RAM. People with the latest
Powerbooks, people with the latest OSX, people with latest 828mk2 users, are all
complaing about this RANDOM AUDIO DROP OUTS !
This problem has not been fixed for a pretty long time, and people are still complaing.

Check out the forums.
Amazing how everyone is still having the same problem.

DO NOT USE LIVE4 ON STAGE !!
or you will get a very loud RIP from the SPEAKERS.
i repeat,
OSX, MOTU USERS, DO NOT USE LIVE4 ON STAGE.
untill ableton decides to fix the bug.