wish : Elastique Pro algorithm

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Precision

Post by Precision » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Gets my vote 8)

+1

PierreHenrut

Post by PierreHenrut » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:19 am

+1
Les Oiseaux de Nuit !!

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:44 pm

WOOO -- I've just been educated ! #(@$ Ouch !

I wasn't aware of that Ableton went on the Cheep when they added the "Complex" algo ?

How much more would it have cost to add "Elastique Pro" ? ?

I've always found it hard to get satisfying stretching results & now I find out that Reaper has a better stretching algorithm that LIVE $$$
Isn't Reaper Free ?

Isn't time stretching a corner stone of LIVE ?

I don't get it, What am I missing, LIVE'S Time Stretching should be without compromise.
Dez..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:08 pm

"Pro" didn't exist when it was added to Live, that's all.

who knows why they don't upgrade to the newer version, perhaps one day they will. It seems a relatively cheap way of adding good core functionality.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm

Your response does provide a bit of comfort. Perhaps priorities & release dates kept it out of 7.0.1 - IMHO it should should show up long before 8.x :-)

My Acoustic guitar seems particularly difficult to stretch transparently. I get an unwanted warbling effect.
Dez..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm

I find I have to use Tones Mode for my guitar, and really play with the size parameter.

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 am

Blurr wrote:Your response does provide a bit of comfort. Perhaps priorities & release dates kept it out of 7.0.1 - IMHO it should should show up long before 8.x :-)
+1. Would be the icing on the cake to see it added during the point release phase rather than included as a new release or paid upgrade. And if it's too heavy to run on multiple tracks in realtime just allow another freeze option?

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 pm

It is kinda lame that fruityloops and reaper has this but Live doesnt.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 am

Nod wrote:
Blurr wrote:Your response does provide a bit of comfort. Perhaps priorities & release dates kept it out of 7.0.1 - IMHO it should should show up long before 8.x :-)
+1. Would be the icing on the cake to see it added during the point release phase rather than included as a new release or paid upgrade. And if it's too heavy to run on multiple tracks in realtime just allow another freeze option?
thing is, while I agree, if I'm honest since first getting the earliest alpha version of Live 7 I have probably built up a list of dozens of these 'little features' that should go in a 7.x release..... :?

seansfoot

Post by seansfoot » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:05 pm

+1, it would be nice to see them add this, but I doubt it's going to happen, certainly not before L8 anyway.....

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Turn it off!
Drums

Nod

Post by Nod » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 pm

forge wrote:thing is, while I agree, if I'm honest since first getting the earliest alpha version of Live 7 I have probably built up a list of dozens of these 'little features' that should go in a 7.x release..... :?
Same here - but, imho Forge, updating the core audio qualities of the program is not a 'little feature' given how fundamental warping is to the operation of the application.

An updated mix engine is certainly welcome but the addition of better algorithms can only quell any remaining suspicions as regards audio quality in the DAW community at large - that may not be important to those of us already converted but it may well be to future customers. Given, iirc, that the development cycle for L7 was slightly longer this time around, and the L8/C74, may take even longer, it'd be a wise addition to L7 and, at the very least, keep the app current throughout the next cycle.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:39 pm

There is a beta of upcoming v2 of elastic/efficient. If they don't add pro to live, surely they will update the efficient algo.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:32 am

Nod wrote:
forge wrote:thing is, while I agree, if I'm honest since first getting the earliest alpha version of Live 7 I have probably built up a list of dozens of these 'little features' that should go in a 7.x release..... :?
Same here - but, imho Forge, updating the core audio qualities of the program is not a 'little feature' given how fundamental warping is to the operation of the application.

An updated mix engine is certainly welcome but the addition of better algorithms can only quell any remaining suspicions as regards audio quality in the DAW community at large - that may not be important to those of us already converted but it may well be to future customers. Given, iirc, that the development cycle for L7 was slightly longer this time around, and the L8/C74, may take even longer, it'd be a wise addition to L7 and, at the very least, keep the app current throughout the next cycle.
I know and I agree - but I have also made equally as compelling arguments for some other features that I felt were just as important - all I'm saying is that it's incredibly difficult to prioritise what happens first

IMO the automation situation is a complete mess and in arrange it's frankly embarrassing - how long can that go on unchanged? They added multi-lane automation, but instead of addressing the real problems, it just gave us more lanes to deal with the mess and IMO it compounded the problem - I dont use multi-lane auto at all because it doesnt fit in with the way I use Live - I am much happier clicking on the knob/parameter to bring it's automation into focus than I am scrolling down through millions of lanes or right clicking and choosing the parameter from a million others - right click->show automation in new lane is actually an extra step than the old way, so I just stick with the old way

just one point, but there are many very fundamental features missing

the other one is session automation - how can that still be missing? http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 580#615580

but yeah these arent small 'quick fixes'- although I did propose a record bypass modifier to at least temporarily stop recording all the messy automation which could be a short term quick fix

but for the record I never use complex mode, but if it was improved I might

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 am

forge wrote: ... but for the record I never use complex mode, but if it was improved I might
Complex really isn't very good for its stated purpose, such as "warping a whole track" or "some classical guitar", but I do find a use for it when I am fixing a few odd notes in my horrible bass playing / guitar playing.
I ctrl-e around the bad note or two, turn on complex for just that little chunk, stretch/shrink the note length so the phrasing is right ... and I have not affected the sonic integrity of the other notes in the phrase.
Usually the guitar / bass is being processed by an 'amp' rack, so the complexified segment doesn't leap out as different it flies by.

It's yet another reason why I work in Arrangement, I just couldn't do that in Session. But that's a whole other story.