Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Ableton Looper for Live 8

Yes, yes, yes!
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 214

nowtime

Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Post by nowtime » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:55 am

Robert Henke said it himself just a couple of weeks ago, "you looping guys be sure to remind us how much you want a looper" (that's not an exact quote).

Well here it is and now is the time. Let your voice be heard.

For those of you who think Live is already a looper, you haven't used an audio looper. It is very much a musician's tool unlike anything else that exists. An Ableton looper would be revelational. If you're not convinced, please discuss. Let's get this in 8!
Life is Good

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:03 am

so you're asking them to create something that already exists?

I really don't understand the complaints that live doesn't impliment better "live looping" abilities. granted things may or may not currently work the way you want them to (or the way a looping pedal does) but at some point i bought a pedal board and hooked it up to live and had 8 audio tracks that I could live loop with my guitar.

I know you'll have a rebutal to what I've just said and honostly I'd love to hear it cause I just don't get it and wouldn't mind understanding what exactly live doesn't do to make it a live looper.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:24 am

granted things may or may not currently work the way you want them to
Yes... this is why most feature requests are made. Not trying to be snarky... you can jump through hoops to do live looping now, but, as a start, it would be great in 8 to overdub easily. Into the same clip.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:29 am

bigbadotis wrote:
Yes... this is why most feature requests are made. Not trying to be snarky... you can jump through hoops to do live looping now, but, as a start, it would be great in 8 to overdub easily. Into the same clip.
but my point was that this request is really just asking them to make something that already exists. I guess I can see why you'd want it but I just can't see why it would be a big deal being that there are already plugins/pedals/and bomes to help you do this.

maybe if they could come up with some way of making a live looper that did something extra special that no live looper does yet I could see demanding that something but what exactly is that something that no live looper does?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 am

slicer debate part 2! :wink:

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong in that one!

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 am

Just get angstrom to fix the kill bug in his nice little looper and then ableton can sell it for $150 as an extra instrument...

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:51 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
bigbadotis wrote:
but my point was that this request is really just asking them to make something that already exists. I guess I can see why you'd want it but I just can't see why it would be a big deal being that there are already plugins/pedals/and bomes to help you do this.

maybe if they could come up with some way of making a live looper that did something extra special that no live looper does yet I could see demanding that something but what exactly is that something that no live looper does?
Well, given how long people have been requesting the features required to make Live an ideal live looping solution I think its fair to assume that these things are unlikely to happen. There would probably be too many compromises and alterations made with/to the existing functionality of Live to make it worthwhile for Ableton to do this.

A Live Looper would be an excellent alternative given how tightly it could tie in with everything else. At the moment, Live is close to being an ideal tool but a few (well documented) flaws and omissions cripple it somewhat.

While there are third party solutions these also require significant workarounds and compromises and in my experience aren't always particularly stable (which is rather important for this sort of thing!).

All in all, a Live Looper would be amazing.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 pm

the real bummer is that Live used to have this. i bumped a thread last week which was asking for the reinstatement of the feature, and the thread hadnt been touched for 3 years... :?

check it in the Feature Requests...
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:29 pm

what you've described (john) is really just a live multitracker, not a live looper, which provides real sound on sound recording, and all the nifty things you can do with that.

e.g., yes, you can record 8 tracks that loop against each other in live, seeming somewhat sound on sound. BUT you can't reverse all tracks at once, or cut our pieces of all at once, or cut all to half speed at once. so live really can't do what guitar players think of as looping (kid beyond and imogene notwithstanding). you need sound on sound recording to do most of what's really interesting.

as to why live should do this, well, there aren't many good options out there, and having a great looper integrated into live would open up worlds of possibility.

perhaps more importantly, i think that in the next 5 years or so, playing guitar is largely going to mean playing through some sort of SW interface (just as playing guitar now largely means playing through an amp, etc.). you can see the increased interest just from the number of questions on the board about this in the past year. so it would potentially be great business for ableton to get into. (guitar rig has a looper, but it's pretty lame (though i haven't checked out what's coming in 3).)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:31 pm

yeah man, give us sound on sound!

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

downfader

Post by downfader » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 pm

I think theres more importants things to worry about than loopers. I mean, I can easly use a guitar pedal for that anyway :)

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:13 pm

actually- just saw a video of Imogen Heap using an Electrix repeater to loop though there was a laptop with Live on it in the background.
second class robot

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 pm

and yes a looper much like angstrom or sooperlooper that emulated but went beyond the abilities of those and hardware loopers would be fantastic. it would also be fantastic if all warp clipped then sync'd up with the perceived tempo of that first loop.......
second class robot

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 pm

oh yeah- also for the ability to just be able to loop without warping........
second class robot

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 pm

to the people who can't see the point in live including a live loop feature .... your comments just make me want to strangle something!!! :evil:

sorry to be such a geek,

but really - the kind of gigs this would create. Such a crying shame if Ableton gets this program so far and misses out on this one. Feels like they've come a thousand miles and are just an inch away....

excuse the dramatism and threats of violence, - too much lager/eggs