Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Ableton Looper for Live 8

Yes, yes, yes!
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 214

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 pm

nowtime wrote:Well;

Looking at these numbers so far, 1400 hits and 57 votes, we can assume that an Ableton Looper is not a very popular idea. Quite surprising, actually. Perhaps y'all do not know what you're missing.

I have come back to read this thread at least 10 times, just to see what was being said. So I wouldn't derive too much from the 'read vs voted' ratio.

On the subject of looping in the clip, in the way that KidBeyond does ... it's important to note that this removes the ability to have old loops fade out. The benefit of the delay based looper is that the riff you played 16 bars ago can be more quiet and more muffled than the most recent riff you played.

There are many more benefits to delay, or buffer based looping. I have a large development document here which details all my experiments in features for loopers and my thoughts on what is useful and why, so I will copy a few segments out.

Here are some extracts from my looper development notes
edited a bit so it makes a little sense to other people
I wrote: undo
There are problems with 'undo' on loopers and a couple of ways to tackle it, neither are completely satisfactory.
To explain the practicalities to the uninitiated; audio loops are not the same as midi, audio is contiguous data not individual 'notes'.
Pressing undo cannot magically undo the last audio note you played, the audio must undo back to some arbitrary point in the sample .. but which point, the bar start? This is problematic because quite often sound is fading out from the previous bar, so if you delete the current bar of audio when the loop plays back around you will very likely hear a weird moment where the audio suddenly cuts off. It's not nice.
The other method is a layer based approach, which is slightly better but more memory intensive. The audio is recorded as one loop of many overdubs or passes, but several layers can be created by the musician. Undo will remove the most recent layer. This is better ... but if you made a mistake in the 3rd pass on a layer then 'undo' will remove the whole of that layer which can be quite jarring.
Undo horrors in use:
a 4bar loop is recorded with 3 passes to get a nice fat sound, after a while another layer is added to add a little variation to the loop. The musician then switches to 'non-record' mode and plays a little bit of an 8 bar solo over the top of the loop, unknown to them they didn't press the pedal hard enough and the solo is now in the loop, pressing undo will remove the entire layer. Argh.

Undo solutions considered
Using Both types of delete? Implementing both bar delete and layers may be possible, but it's a little unweildy and could be confusing. But perhaps it is simply a matter of clear labeling and GUI segmentation.

transient based undo? undo back to the last note (via transient peak) is unlikely to work correctly in real world situations and requires soem tricky buffer handling to acheive. It may be possible, but I haven't tried implementing it!

on general features
General Features
Some features I have experimented with and have investigated

Sustain / Fade

This is simply the feedback control which sends the output of the buffer back to the input of the buffer, via any other processing I have thrown in the signal path. Fading out the older audio gives the ability to slowly progress the loop into new sonic terrain and prevents the sense of being 'stuck' in a loop. Fading helps give prominence to the most recent phrases without having to manually control a mix. Fading automatically sets previous passes to be 'background material' to your most recent input in the simplest functionally possible way.

Loop Filter / EQ
to stop everything being 'at the front of the loop' a lowpass filter is essential, 12db per octave (or less) is adequate, any steeper is too severe.
A hi-pass is quite useful to tidy up low frequencies and used in tandem with the lowpass filter it can help to sit older loops further back in the sound space.
A full EQ such as EQ8 can be quite interesting to 'carve' sound on each pass, especially when paired with a harmonic generation techinque like a waveshaping device or a ring modulation. An Eq can pick out the artificial harmonics created and 'mix them'. Doing this creates some really interesting synthetic audio spaces which would be hard or even impossible to create otherwise.

stereo widen :
A small buffer read offset for each side is quite useful as it can help to make loops more pad-like and less 'in your face' . I use negative value on one side and a positive on the other to keep the average 'on tempo'. There is an issue that looping of the small delay offsets (used for widening) will exponentially increase over many minutes to create an out-of-time stereo picture, but this is usually not an issue in the cases when widening is applied so heavily as to be evident. In those cases it is normally desirable to create a large and wide audio mush !
When widen is combined with fading and high-frequency roll-off a deep and almost orchestral soundscape can be easilly created.
Phase based (allpass) widen might seem a better option than linear delay based, but I found delay to be adequate and any low frequency issues can be fixed with the loop eq controls.

on some more impressive abilities

Chopping & Changing
retriggering from any point in the loop can restructure the loop immediately, a bit like a very controlable 'beat repeat' ... because any manual stuttering or chopping actions you take with the playback will be recorded into the audio loop itself and repeated indefinitely.
For example - while a loop of drums is playing, if you suddenly move the the 'playhead' index back to a prior snare drum position and hear that audio played back, the 'record head' will record that snare into the loop. This is a great way of creating odd beats and rhythms on the fly.

To help acheive this it is necessary to provide buttons which can move the play head to specific points in the loop, Live has the ability to map a key range to certain actions and this would be the best method. Mapping a key range to the 'play from here' marker in the looper would enable performers to map 16 keys to a bar and know that key 4 will be 1/4 of the way through the loop and key 8 will restart the playhead from 1/2 way through the loop.
"while held" is the best method for this. When the key is released the playhead should leap back to where it ought to be.

it continues like that for many pages!

I have to make notes like this, or I will forget what I have already tried.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:18 pm

nice notes. ever used mobius or an echoplex? with either, i very much miss the angstro wobble and degradation of hi freqs over time. also like your panning comments (i use autopan on subtle stereo after mobius to get some of same effect).

many folk on this thread don't seem to get that a good looper is actually more of an instrument, than just a way to lay down tracks easily. maybe if we compared it to the differences between multitracking and a sampler they might get it (recognizing that live itself is effectively just a sampler, but you know what i mean).

i'd even pay for a live looper, just like i'm willing to pay for sampler despite the existence of simpler and impulse.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Librado - excellent linkage!!!
dj superflat wrote:many folk on this thread don't seem to get that a good looper is actually more of an instrument, than just a way to lay down tracks easily.
good point. so there's TWO tools the Abes can throw at us.

man oh man I hope the C74 collaboration will help us make our own tools. I'll have machinate chained to his computer under armed guard with a list of my demands.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:19 pm

i think the best way to implement a looper is by extending the clip follow actions.
Instead of only options like next clip, prev clip also have options like:

- After recording one loop, record off and loop again.
- continue recording in overdub mode

Ofcourse there are some inconsistencies in the current philosophy, but I think the concept of clip envelope can be taken to a higher level
Life is made of stories not atoms

Librado

Post by Librado » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:47 pm

[quote="Tone Deft"]"Librado - excellent linkage!!!"

I just saw that his vid was posted yesterday. He must be on this forum, i personally find his tutorials more um for lack of a better word gripping than any other. Live should hire this dude and stop making me fall asleep.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm

Interesting discussion. When I bought Live at v.4, I thought I should have no trouble doing what I'd been doing with my little Boss RC-20 plus so much more. Turns out, I can't do what even something as primitive as the RC-20 can do, but nevermind, 'cause Live is excellent songwriting, production software for my needs, blah blah blah. I'll even upgrade to 7 because I still really like Live.

However, I play stringed instruments and have yet to find a simple solution to live looping (even simple stuff like the RC-20) with Live. Live should definitely have a looper! I thought way back that was a big part of what they meant when calling it LIVE. Silly me. Anyway, Electix is apparently working on a virtual version of their Repeater, so . . . Until then I'll use Live to produce music and host instruments that I loop live with my RC-20 along with my stringed instruments.

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Why wait for Live 8? Make it like a plug-in.
MikeT - Not a Newbie anymore!
Tennessee

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:22 pm

MikeT wrote:Why wait for Live 8? Make it like a plug-in.

definitely a plug in I would pay for happily.

How about Mr Henke sending out some deadly ableton ninjas to kidnap Angstrom and the maker of Ddblue glitch. They could be whisked away to a dungeon beneath ableton headquarters in Germany, and forced to toil away programming a new looopy glitch live instrument - something fun and flexible, completely integrated with live.

Nice suprice release between version 7 and 8.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:56 pm

babkubwa wrote:
MikeT wrote:Why wait for Live 8? Make it like a plug-in.

definitely a plug in I would pay for happily.

How about Mr Henke sending out some deadly ableton ninjas to kidnap Angstrom and the maker of Ddblue glitch. They could be whisked away to a dungeon beneath ableton headquarters in Germany, and forced to toil away programming a new looopy glitch live instrument - something fun and flexible, completely integrated with live.

Nice suprice release between version 7 and 8.
as much as I would love to toil in a dungeon ...

They actually have a lot of good programmers there, and have gained some good new ones too. The guy who did the new compressor, for example, is about 50x more competent than me. I'm just a bumbler in these things, but happen to have enough desire to attempt to build myself the tools to do what I want. I'm sure if Ableton desire to make a looper as simple as mine they could do it in an afternoon.
A loopy glitchy thing might take them a bit longer, but after L7 launches they have all the time in the world.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:16 am

well here's hoping !

babkubwa

Re: Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Post by babkubwa » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:50 pm

nowtime wrote:Robert Henke said it himself just a couple of weeks ago, "you looping guys be sure to remind us how much you want a looper" (that's not an exact quote).

Well here it is and now is the time. Let your voice be heard.

For those of you who think Live is already a looper, you haven't used an audio looper. It is very much a musician's tool unlike anything else that exists. An Ableton looper would be revelational. If you're not convinced, please discuss. Let's get this in 8!

Where is it Robert Henke is supposed to have said something? interested to know more

Angstrom

Re: Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:42 pm

babkubwa wrote: Where is it Robert Henke is supposed to have said something? interested to know more
It was in relation to my hacks on feeding back audio in chain. Robert was explaining why this was not a desired possibility.

an exact quote would be
Robert Henke wrote:@ Angstrom:

feedbacks in digital audio are pandoras box. At some point we might introduce block wise audio calculation for all our effects, and from that day on you'll have all kinds of wierd behaviour with such kinds of feedback. your loop will be *almost* eight bars long and it will change as a function of many factors we cannot determine now.

now imagine what users would tell us if this would happen....

so, we do not officially allow. better remind us to do spend more focus on you looper guys !

Robert
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 701#566701

samplehead

Post by samplehead » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 am

More than a built in "looper" I wish Ableton would just support "first loop" sets tempo.

I like the loops being separate clips which is the kid beyond idea etc. That works great. Yes it could be simpler, but given that it's always going to require some type of controller to be programmed, really it's never going to be an "out of the box" feature I think.

The only thing missing is the "first loop" feature. Kid Beyond relies on a click track, which he admittedly often drops once he has recorded his first loop. But it's a creativity killer for me. Kid beyond's set is all planned, he recreates "songs" in effect. But for 100% improvised live looping the "first loop sets tempo" feature is a must.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 pm

I've given in to gear lust once again,

decided to halt my whinging for Mr Henke to Make an ableton looper and Mr Angstrom to make a mac looper - -

I've bought one in a box! a Boss RC50

I'll be using it with a Handsonic and my old Sp 808. The connections seem to be great - Midi - so I can sync up either way ( rc50 has automatic timestretch) play accapellas and what ever else from ableton over the top of my loops, USB for shifting wavs to and from the Computer, enough audio outputs to have a cue beat going, either from ableton or the built in beats on the RC50 (little unsure about those I must admit)

Really looking forward to a much more computer less performance in general. I'll still be using Ableton as a sampler - impulse - drum sounds played with a trigger finger routed out through the sp808 into the boss looper. Will also use it for playing accapellas over the freshly created loops and for controlling visuals via a Just add music addon

http://youcanbespecialtoo.com/

I'll let you all know how I get on. Likely to be a Rc50 on ebay the second ableton incorporate an angstrom looper into live - but thinking I might enjoy it in the meantime

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 am

babkubwa, how much did you pay for th RC50?
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds