64bit?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Yeah I just spent all my time and money putting together a Windows PC that completely satisfies my needs for Live and in general, and now I should go buy an overpriced Mac.... genius

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:25 pm

So does it do 64 bit maths in general or just for addition?

ie if I set a gain slider to -3.012db will it use 64bit logarithms to convert that to a 64bit ratio to multiply the signal by before adding it to other signals?

Just wondering.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:32 pm

nolus wrote:So does it do 64 bit maths in general or just for addition?

ie if I set a gain slider to -3.012db will it use 64bit logarithms to convert that to a 64bit ratio to multiply the signal by before adding it to other signals?

Just wondering.
by summing I take that to mean addition/subtraction, not multiplication, division, logarithmic calculations.

could be interesting to take a sine wave in track 1 and have a bunch of tracks get their input from track 1. bounce all that to 1 track.

Spectrum in track 1 should look like Spectrum in the bounced track, just a spike.

do that in Live 6, take the result into Live 7, compare.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
nolus wrote:So does it do 64 bit maths in general or just for addition?

Just wondering.
by summing I take that to mean addition/subtraction, not multiplication, division, logarithmic calculations.

could be interesting to take a sine wave in track 1 and have a bunch of tracks get their input from track 1. bounce all that to 1 track.

Spectrum in track 1 should look like Spectrum in the bounced track, just a spike.

do that in Live 6, take the result into Live 7, compare.
I'm just wondering what the point is of adding signals with 64 bit accuracy if the magnitude of the signal is not accurate to 64 bits in the first place. DSP makes my brain hurt!

plus I'm trying to work out an idea for a mixing system where instead of summing at every point where signals merge, you would just feed forward the gain structure with the original signal and do all the math at the final stage. that way you just add the gain values in db all the way through the chain, and do one log and multiply at the end before summing the result with other signals.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:58 pm

64bit processing is not a addition in L7 that will make me upgrade (like drum racks for instance) but I'm just wondering what kind of a cpu hit does the extra processing give, if any ?

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:59 pm

gomi wrote:If you buy a new mac. And install Leopard. You will be fully 64Bit AND 32Bit at the very same time!
Is this really accurate? Will Leopard be a native 64 bit OS?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 pm

beatpoet wrote:64bit processing is not a addition in L7 that will make me upgrade (like drum racks for instance) but I'm just wondering what kind of a cpu hit does the extra processing give, if any ?
It's bound to have some hit on a 32 bit architecture, but my guess would be that it's negligable compared to the fancy DSP code needed for high quality alias free synthesis and effects. not to mention real-time time streching and complex mode warping.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:22 am

Anubis wrote:
gomi wrote:If you buy a new mac. And install Leopard. You will be fully 64Bit AND 32Bit at the very same time!
Is this really accurate? Will Leopard be a native 64 bit OS?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/tec ... 64bit.html

--Kent