Ableton 7 it's a joke !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PiLLO

Ableton 7 it's a joke !!!

Post by PiLLO » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:41 am

for me isn' a good update because the most improovements are the new instruments. this seems a new suite but not an update!! i don't need drum machines because i use my own gear + battery!! i don't need analog because i have a minimoog!! i don't need new istruments!!! i don't need only plugins improovements because i have my uad and ssl !!

these are the things i need from a software:

- dual monitor support

- no limit to 128 automations map

- improvement for scrolling windows with the mouse!! now is too much mechanic and stupid i think!!

- vst and au program change!!! is still not possible an important funcion like this???

- possibility to record automation to Session view

- possibility to customize command

the only 2 new good feature for me are the 64bit engine and the drag n drop automations

i don't need an all in one software, i think a lot of ableton users are in my same situation, and, for us, the improvements must be on the software, not in thousands of new unnecessary suites!!

ableton,please think that you have also this kind of users that need a most professional soft, because it seems you think to have only all in one users!!!!
Ableton Live 7.07, Mac OsX 10.4.11, TC Electronic Konnekt live, Novation Remote SL Zero, Cme Uf5, Adam P33A.

http://www.myspace.com/pilloplex
http://www.myspace.com/untravelledground

hoffman2k

Re: Ableton 7 it's a joke !!!

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:44 am

PiLLO wrote:- improvement for scrolling windows with the mouse!! now is too much mechanic and stupid i think!!
This is in Live 7. CTRL+ALT+drag.

nihad

Post by nihad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:49 am

why shouldn't all in one users be professional?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:53 am

PiLLO wrote:- vst and au program change!!! is still not possible an important funcion like this???
Has been possible since Live 4.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:17 am

PiLLO wrote: - possibility to customize command
Isn't this one available inside the Mac OS?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:19 am

chrysalis33rpm wrote:
PiLLO wrote: - possibility to customize command
Isn't this one available inside the Mac OS?
Yes, but only for commands thats appear in the top menu.

PiLLO

Post by PiLLO » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:35 am

hoffman2k wrote:
PiLLO wrote:- improvement for scrolling windows with the mouse!! now is too much mechanic and stupid i think!!
This is in Live 7. CTRL+ALT+drag.

yes ok, but i can't use mousewheel or +,- keys for zooming(like in logic), that's is very important for me...
Ableton Live 7.07, Mac OsX 10.4.11, TC Electronic Konnekt live, Novation Remote SL Zero, Cme Uf5, Adam P33A.

PiLLO

Post by PiLLO » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 am

nihad wrote:why shouldn't all in one users be professional?

i don't think that! i think there are a lot of users that have their own instruments, so these users need major improvements on the software itself not on the suite or plugs i think...

PiLLO

Post by PiLLO » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:42 am

hoffman2k wrote:
PiLLO wrote:- vst and au program change!!! is still not possible an important funcion like this???

yes but only for vst that support this and only via midi internal routing. for example there isn't possibility to change presets of a grain delay, is that right?

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:57 am

Ableton 7... Kind of like Steinberg 4, or Apple 8? :P

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 am

PiLLO wrote:yes ok, but i can't use mousewheel or +,- keys for zooming(like in logic), that's is very important for me...
actually i'm pretty sure that you can use the +,- keys for zooming.

i'm looking forward to trying the ctrl+alt dragging for scrolling. if i can assign ctrl+alt to my middle mouse button i'll be all set!

i agree that recording automation into session clips is a must, but i wouldn't go so far as calling l7 a joke.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:07 am

PiLLO wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

yes but only for vst that support this and only via midi internal routing. for example there isn't possibility to change presets of a grain delay, is that right?
Yes there is. Using the Chain Select Ruler. You'll find a few articles about that on the CovOps site.

It explains why that solution is better then program changes.
If you think about it... Racks can contain anything, program changes for individual devices would get messy very quick.

loachm

Post by loachm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:29 pm

PiLLO wrote:- possibility to record automation to Session view
...do you mean recording automation to an already existing clip? Unfortunately I don't have any controller right at hand, but if I remember correctly you have to use this setting...

...I have only used this once and I think it works this way - but I may be wrong, though...

hujib

Post by hujib » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:09 pm

A) You don't have to upgrade

B) If you choose to upgrade, you don't have to get Ableton Suite.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:36 pm

I was disappointed that quite a few of my favourite things didn't make it in. In fact out of my top five I would say two made it in. They would be multi-lane and time sig automation. Improving the way drums were handled would have been about number six on my wishlist though, I did have a workaround, but it wasn;t as good as Drumracks are.

So in the cold light of day I have two out of five of my top wishes filled, my number six wish is filled. Plus a few other items from lower down my list are in L7.
Some of the new items that I don't rate highly... other people seem to think are the best thing ever! So, I think that tells us something about wishlists.

Perhaps the other thing to consider is - I am not merely %35 satisfied. I would say I am about %70 satisfied with this update. The basic app I mean, not the suite. The reason being the things which they added which I didn't even think of. Those items which they added or changed have improved the app in ways I didn't anticipate.

Well anyway ... exactly how much satisfaction do you want for € 99 , or £68 UK pounds ! That is one night in a London Hotel guys. Shit!
I would pay more than that that for a new VST compressor, add in the 64bit eq, the multilane and the time sig and all the rest and it seems a fair price.

Sure I want session clip automation recording, and I think pretty much everyone else does too and that has to include the people at Ableton.
I guess there's some weird reason it isn't in there, most likely because when they do add it - it will go beyond merely 'recording automation in session'. At least I hope so. Perhaps I am just not bothered because I have developed a style of working which is fine, it works. As long as the upgrades don't actually break that .. well it's all gravy ;)